Committee Mafia (input welcome)

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: condude1, bkbkbk, sjg11, Zoomzip, Telleo

Committee Mafia (input welcome)

Postby kimpossible » 02 Mar 2018, 19:45

So I have this pretty wacky idea, originally inspired by the rules for Nanook's Avalon game, but now overhauled to steal shamelessly from Axe and Mob while putting my own spin on some of the mechanics.

Numbers: 9 town, 3 scum (admittedly an ambitious number)
Victory Conditions: Town win when all scum are dead. Scum win at parity.
Day and Night Phases: 72 hours and 24 hours, respectively

Day One: Elect the First Committee
Day One is special because the first Committee is elected, whereas thereafter it will be passed to players chosen by the former Committee. It will be divided into three phases. Throughout the game day, players may vote their lynch preference in RED, but the top-most voted player may not necessarily be the one executed.

First 24 Hours
Players may nominate or second players for the Slate by posting their name in BLUE. Players may nominate themselves but may not second themselves, and each player may either nominate or second, not both. However, players may change their vote up until the deadline, so a seconding may be changed to a nomination by voting a new name. (Basically I'll use the Blue feature in the Tabulator and anyone with two votes gets to be on the Slate, unless the second vote is a self-vote.)

Second 24 Hours
At the 24-hour deadline I will post the Slate, comprised of players receiving 2 or more blue votes. Players will then have 24 hours to submit their votes for players on the Slate via PM to me. Each player may vote for up to 3 nominees. Votes may be changed until the deadline. The top three vote-getters will form the first Committee. If two players are tied for the most votes, both will be on the Committee; if a tie must be settled to determine the Committee members, the player who has held the tied number of votes for the longest continuous period of time will be the winner.

Final 24 Hours
Once the Committee has been formed, it will be posted along with the final vote tallies. In the final 24 hours, Players will elect the President, again by posting their choice in BLUE. The President will be elected by plurality.

Subsequent Days
The Committee members will each choose a new player to take their place. No player may serve on the Committee for two consecutive days, unless there are not enough players to form an entirely new Committee.

A new President will be elected by the same means as Day 1, but votes may be placed any time during the 72 hours. No player may serve as President for two consecutive days.

All Days
At the end of the day, the President will choose a player to execute. Any player may be selected, including a member of the Committee; if a Committee member is selected, the next player from the Slate will take their place for the deliberations phase. The executed player's alignment will be revealed. The Committee will then enter deliberations for the following 24 hours. Deliberations will be public in the thread, but only Committee members may post during the deliberations.

At the end of the deliberations, the Committee members will vote to either Execute or Pardon the President. Votes will be submitted via PM to the GM and will not be made public. Committee members may not abstain.

If the President is executed, there will be no night kill. If the President is pardoned, scum will have a night kill, but the Committee and President will be immune. For the sake of expediency, scum will separately determine their night kill target during the deliberations phase, which will resolve or not depending on the outcome of the deliberations.

When only four town remain, the Committee is dissolved. From this point forward the President will still be elected by the same means, and will still determine the daily execution. The President cannot be executed or night killed.

At a 2:1 ratio, the Presidency is abandoned and the final outcome is determined by vote.
Last edited by kimpossible on 22 Mar 2018, 23:48, edited 20 times in total.
Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award

Her?
kimpossible

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Committee Mafia (input welcome)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 02 Mar 2018, 21:08

This looks interesting. And I was used in the example, so I feel like I have to be in now.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413

Postby kimpossible » 02 Mar 2018, 21:14

nanooktheeskimo wrote:This looks interesting. And I was used in the example, so I feel like I have to be in now.

I'm going to be amused if this becomes a thing. :lol:

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Keirador » 02 Mar 2018, 21:42

Still wrapping my head around this one, but as a quick FYI Immunity Idols are always known to scum, recipients of IIs are publicly voted for in-thread as here. They're not meant to block an NK; they're meant to restrict the NK.

Also, how do you write like you're running out of time, write day and night like you're running out of time?
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 02 Mar 2018, 21:48

One question: it's unclear if the committee must reach consensus to lynch a player or just a plurality?
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1413

Postby kimpossible » 02 Mar 2018, 21:51

Keirador wrote:Still wrapping my head around this one, but as a quick FYI Immunity Idols are always known to scum, recipients of IIs are publicly voted for in-thread as here. They're not meant to block an NK; they're meant to restrict the NK.

Also, how do you write like you're running out of time, write day and night like you're running out of time?

Well then that really makes it Immunity Idol plus a mechanic where the three immune players ultimately choose the lynch. Kinda like JOE (that's just for you, Nook) chose in Fable, except without a single all-powerful PR, and also not nightless. The rest is just mechanics on how the committee is decided.

And I DON'T KNOW! I suddenly discovered I apparently have at least a little talent for dreaming up mechanics for Mafia, after quite a few years of trying to write RPGs and finding they never quite worked the way I wanted them to.

I guess I need it to survive, hey.
Last edited by kimpossible on 02 Mar 2018, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 02 Mar 2018, 21:52

nanooktheeskimo wrote:One question: it's unclear if the committee must reach consensus to lynch a player or just a plurality?

Fixed. I was equating "consensus" with "I already said plurality" in my head.

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Keirador » 02 Mar 2018, 21:59

The tribunal aspect was played with in Axe & Mob. I don't think that game was particularly successful (I personally had to get replaced because I was bored, to my shame), but I think the tribunal aspect did work quite well, if you wanted to check that out.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby kimpossible » 02 Mar 2018, 22:01

Keirador wrote:The tribunal aspect was played with in Axe & Mob. I don't think that game was particularly successful (I personally had to get replaced because I was bored, to my shame), but I think the tribunal aspect did work quite well, if you wanted to check that out.

Cool, will do!

Her?
kimpossible

Postby Keirador » 02 Mar 2018, 22:11

kimbyrle wrote:I guess I need it to survive, hey.

Once there was a time that Harb claimed to miss a Hamilton reference and doing so was a legitimate scumslip, glad you're also in that bucket.

If you weren't already aware, this is a thing that exists now as of midnight last night.
Keirador

Next

Return to In Development