Galaxy Quest Mafia

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Re: Galaxy Quest Mafia

Postby StarWatcher009 » 10 Sep 2017, 10:53

Telleo wrote:
StarWatcher009 wrote:Is Sarris scum - if so; why don't the Town just kill the player day one as there is a 50% chance of them being scum?

Because there's a 50% chance of everyone being scum.

Wait, so there are 4/5 scum to start of with out of 9?
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
StarWatcher009

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1406)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Telleo » 10 Sep 2017, 12:15

StarWatcher009 wrote:
Telleo wrote:
StarWatcher009 wrote:Is Sarris scum - if so; why don't the Town just kill the player day one as there is a 50% chance of them being scum?

Because there's a 50% chance of everyone being scum.

Wait, so there are 4/5 scum to start of with out of 9?

No, there'll be most likely three scum. But that single player either is, or is not, a scum. There aren't greater odds of them being scum than any other player.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)

Postby StarWatcher009 » 10 Sep 2017, 12:38

Telleo wrote:No, there'll be most likely three scum. But that single player either is, or is not, a scum. There aren't greater odds of them being scum than any other player.

So if two to three of the 8 others are scum; that means each has a 25% - 37.5% chance of being scum which is significantly less than 50% for Sarri. In a normal 8:2 game, there isn't a 50% chance you'll be scum.
StarWatcher009

Postby kimpossible » 10 Sep 2017, 15:33

StarWatcher009 wrote:
Telleo wrote:No, there'll be most likely three scum. But that single player either is, or is not, a scum. There aren't greater odds of them being scum than any other player.

So if two to three of the 8 others are scum; that means each has a 25% - 37.5% chance of being scum which is significantly less than 50% for Sarri. In a normal 8:2 game, there isn't a 50% chance you'll be scum.

No, I think I see Telleo's point. She'd have 9 players, 1 of the gets the Jason/Sarris role and the rest are assigned crew member names. Then she randomly assigns 3 scum roles out of the 9. If the Jason/Sarris role happens to be amongst the 3, the roles is scum. So the odds of being scum are the same as any other player.
Former Bearer of the Aura of Greater Towniness.
Resentful Keeper Temporary Custodian of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
Owner of the highly coveted and very prestigious First to Notice Award.
kimpossible

Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1063)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby StarWatcher009 » 10 Sep 2017, 15:44

kimbyrle wrote:
StarWatcher009 wrote:

No, I think I see Telleo's point. She'd have 9 players, 1 of the gets the Jason/Sarris role and the rest are assigned crew member names. Then she randomly assigns 3 scum roles out of the 9. If the Jason/Sarris role happens to be amongst the 3, the roles is scum. So the odds of being scum are the same as any other player.

Okay that makes sense. Best be clarified in the rules though.
StarWatcher009

Postby kimpossible » 10 Sep 2017, 17:44

Yeah, so like, not to write your rules for you Telleo, but it seems like the 9th player will always tell us they are Jason Nesmith anyway, therefore that role is also not AI.

So it might be simpler to say "These are the 9 character identities. They will be public, and none of them are AI. 3 will be chosen to have a secret evil identity. If the Jason Nesmith character is among the roles selected to be evil, their secret identity will be Sarris."
Resentful Keeper Temporary Custodian of the Talisman of Greater Scumminess. :evil: (now gifted to its rightful owner)
kimpossible

Postby kimpossible » 10 Sep 2017, 22:41

On the other hand, if that's not the intent and the idea is that the Jason/Sarris player's alignment will be a 50/50 chance and then the remaining scum assigned depending on the outcome, then yeah, I'm killing Jason first because in a 9-player 3-scum game, each individual player normally has only a 33% chance of being scum.
kimpossible

Postby Nanook » 10 Sep 2017, 23:55

kimbyrle wrote:On the other hand, if that's not the intent and the idea is that the Jason/Sarris player's alignment will be a 50/50 chance and then the remaining scum assigned depending on the outcome, then yeah, I'm killing Jason first because in a 9-player 3-scum game, each individual player normally has only a 33% chance of being scum.

I'm killing Sarris/Nesmith first no matter what if I'm town. Whether he has a 33% or a 50% chance of being scum, there is no way I want to chance having that ability in the hands of the scum (and even if it's in town hands, it's nowhere near as useful since you don't know whether you're resurrecting a town or a scum player if you're Nesmith).
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)

Postby Telleo » 11 Sep 2017, 03:07

nanooktheeskimo wrote:
kimbyrle wrote:On the other hand, if that's not the intent and the idea is that the Jason/Sarris player's alignment will be a 50/50 chance and then the remaining scum assigned depending on the outcome, then yeah, I'm killing Jason first because in a 9-player 3-scum game, each individual player normally has only a 33% chance of being scum.

I'm killing Sarris/Nesmith first no matter what if I'm town. Whether he has a 33% or a 50% chance of being scum, there is no way I want to chance having that ability in the hands of the scum (and even if it's in town hands, it's nowhere near as useful since you don't know whether you're resurrecting a town or a scum player if you're Nesmith).

Yeah, I think this is the bigger problem - it's not so much what the chances are of him being good vs bad, it's the damage that role can do in the hands of the scum vs the limited good it might do in the hands of the town. Needs some reworking...
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)

Postby kimpossible » 12 Sep 2017, 19:52

What if the ability could only rez a NK? That at least eliminates the part where Sarris could undo a good lynch.
kimpossible

PreviousNext

Return to In Development