Im thinking I'll run this sometime during the spring
http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=43925
Scales nicely based on interest
1 forest (if it dies town loses)
1 smokey the bear
X YOUs
Y Pyros

Gameplay

All YOU players, as well as Smokey, know who the Forest is.

During the Day Phase, a YOU can Prevent a player in the game thread. If someone is Prevented, the Day Phase ends.

If Pyro is Prevented, then the Pyro dies and game goes into Night Phase.
If YOU is Prevented, then YOU who was PREVENTED dies and game goes into Night Phase.
If Smokey The Bear is Prevented, then whoever tried to Prevent Smokey dies and game goes into Night Phase.

During the Night Phase, Pyros set a player on fire. Pyro cannot set a Pyro on fire.

If YOU is on fire, then he dies and is revealed to be a YOU.
If a Pyro tries to set Smokey on fire, Smokey kills him.
If Forest is on fire, then Forest dies and Pyros wins.

If the last Pyro dies at any point, he gets to set someone on fire as a last ditch effort.

Smokey, Pyro, or the Forest cannot Prevent anyone. If Smokey, Pyro, or the Forest try to Prevent someone, they will die on the spot.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Only You Can Prevent Forest Fires

Postby condude1 » 23 Feb 2017, 10:34

My main issue with games like this is the final guess. It means that, even if the town plays perfectly, the mafia still has a shot at winning. Sort of like the ending of Plague mafia, except worse.

OTOH, I like the idea. It's a pretty good design, but it's just that final guess that irks me.

I'm in.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Nanook » 23 Feb 2017, 11:01

May have to back it depending on when exactly it ends up starting, but in! I can't resist a game I can spend embedding "only you can prevent wildfires" clips into half of my posts.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

Admin
Nanook

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1413)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby mhsmith0 » 23 Feb 2017, 19:04

condude1 wrote:My main issue with games like this is the final guess. It means that, even if the town plays perfectly, the mafia still has a shot at winning. Sort of like the ending of Plague mafia, except worse.

OTOH, I like the idea. It's a pretty good design, but it's just that final guess that irks me.

I'm in.

It's essentially a modified "Protect the King" type game. Which is still mafia, but a pretty specific kind of mafia. Town knows who the "king" is, and part of its ability to solve is to detect who may not know who the king is. To counteract this, scum get a "final shot" at the king.

I was actually the killer in something like this once, and I found the attempt to figure out who the target was to be really interesting (I also got D1 lynched and mis-shot... :oops: )
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)

Postby asudevil » 23 Feb 2017, 22:12

So one person prevents one person...as the lynch. And if that person is smokey or a pyro they can't prevent...but there is no way to MAKE someone prevent. Does the day end immediately when someone is prevented? What if no one prevents...say the town is forcing a scum to prevent...and they can't...so then what...a townie has to prevent them? And what if the game gets to only smokey the forest and pyros ... No more day game since no one can prevent?
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)

Postby condude1 » 23 Feb 2017, 23:59

I think the game would be much better with 1 fewer YOU and no final kill. In your example, imagine if you hit correctly on that final shot. The town would have had literally no chance of winning the game.

I really dislike mechanics like that, since I feel like either team should have complete control of their destiny at game start. This mechanic means that the mafioso, no matter what, has at worst a 1/7ish chance of winning the game.

While it's probably "balanced" per se, it's similar to starting the mafia 1v6 nightless and rolling a die. On a 1, the mafia wins, otherwise, they play the town-sided game of mafia.

I actually love protect the king mechanics, and have a couple up my sleeve, but the town should always have a way of protecting him if they play well.
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

condude1

Postby condude1 » 24 Feb 2017, 00:01

Also, speaking from experience, be careful the town doesn't just turn the prevent mechanism into a generic lynch. I can think of one way in which this would happen, and I feel fairly confident PlayDip town would employ it (probably correctly).

condude1

Postby asudevil » 24 Feb 2017, 02:25

condude1 wrote:Also, speaking from experience, be careful the town doesn't just turn the prevent mechanism into a generic lynch. I can think of one way in which this would happen, and I feel fairly confident PlayDip town would employ it (probably correctly).

That's what I already thought...you green vote and blue vote...green vote is who is going to DO the preventing...and blue is who they are GOING to prevent...And then you "force" someone to "lynch" someone. That would be my FIRST post in this game. Not sure if we can say that here...but figure he should know
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)

Postby shadowface » 24 Feb 2017, 03:21

If I'm understanding this right, only a YOU can prevent, and they have to do it in thread... so preventing is basically a town clear?

asudevil wrote:
condude1 wrote:Also, speaking from experience, be careful the town doesn't just turn the prevent mechanism into a generic lynch. I can think of one way in which this would happen, and I feel fairly confident PlayDip town would employ it (probably correctly).

That's what I already thought...you green vote and blue vote...green vote is who is going to DO the preventing...and blue is who they are GOING to prevent...And then you "force" someone to "lynch" someone. That would be my FIRST post in this game. Not sure if we can say that here...but figure he should know

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that would happen. This is what the town does literally every game to the fun mechanics. :cry:
The player formerly known as shadowfriend1
Proud bearer of the Angle of Unnecessary Overshoot
Previously cursed by the Talisman of Greater Scumminess :twisted:, now an innocent, reformed townsperson
Nanook wrote:C O W A R D
shadowface

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (892)
All-game rating: (892)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby condude1 » 24 Feb 2017, 03:46

asudevil wrote:

Nah, I'd just post immediately "I'm a YOU, I'll do the prevent today, and every day until I die". That turns it into a normalish game.

condude1

Next

Return to In Development