The Aftermath, Revamped

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

The Aftermath, Revamped

Postby Telleo » 05 Jul 2014, 17:55

Ha, ha, the title of this game is a sly reference to my last game. Aren't I clever.

Anyway. Basic thought; the mafia has already won, but those last pesky townies form a resistance that seeks to destroy the mafia by killing the Kingpin.

So, Mafia is an informed majority (9). They have a Kingpin, who has a vote in the lynch. No other mafia members vote will count. They win by forcing the resistance to kill the Ringleader.

The Resistance is an uninformed minority (3). Each Resistance member has a vote in the lynch. They have a Ringleader. Each night, the ringleader identifies one other player to carry out the day's voted-upon kill. He may not elect to conduct the kill himself. The Resistance wins by killing the Kingpin.

The way I envision this playing out is that the Resistance is trying to use the kills to figure out who the Kingpin is based on the votes. Meanwhile, the Mafia is trying manipulate the Resistance members into voting each other, or voting the Ringleader. Because none of the Resistance members know each other, the Mafia members can all lie and claim to be a Resistance player - it's not a matter of working out who's lying so much as working out who isn't lying.

Rough draft of the rules HERE.
Last edited by Telleo on 27 Jun 2015, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Re: The Aftermath, Revamped

Postby dodgy56 » 07 Jul 2014, 02:15

i really like this idea. if you run it count me in
you never play your hand.
You play the man across from you

The man who can smile when things go wrong has thought of someone else he can blame it on

Drug Cheats mafia now in signups
dodgy56

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (833)
All-game rating: (764)
Timezone: GMT+10

Postby Telleo » 27 Jun 2015, 05:23

So I'm finally getting around to reworking this, and I'd like to get it up and running fairly soon. Any criticism would be welcome.

Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Postby sjg11 » 27 Jun 2015, 19:19

This might be me being dumb, but how is the Kingpin meant to force the Resistance to kill the Ringleader?
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Postby Keirador » 27 Jun 2015, 19:48

Convince the other two Resistance members to vote for the Ringleader. . . but then the vote leader isn't automagically lynched, the Ringleader is just told to nominate someone to perform the night kill. . . hmm. And since the Mafia can't go rogue and kill a townie, that means the Resistance only loses if 1) The Ringleader was the vote leader, and the Ringleader nominates a scum to carry out the action, or 2) The Ringleader nominates a vanilla town to perform the kill and the vanilla town kills the Ringleader. Is that right?

Presumably the Ringleader can out himself without fear, since there's no scum night-kill, so the scum have to counterclaim in order to avoid basically an auto-loss, as an un-countered Ringleader is never going to be the true lynch leader or have a townie go rogue on him. That's actually kind of an interesting idea; but it puts a tremendous amount of pressure on the Ringleader role. But over time, the Ringleader will be able to prove his role by correctly claiming who was nominated the night before. The scum can try to counter-claim that too, but with no private communication I don't know how effective it will be.

Hrmph. Upon a first read I thought this was terribly scum-sided, now it seems to me the scum would have to work very hard to avoid a loss.

Interesting set-up, Telleo.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Keirador » 27 Jun 2015, 19:50

How do ties resolve? If both vanilla townies are dead, ties need to resolve against the Ringleader, or he's in auto-win territory.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby Telleo » 27 Jun 2015, 22:54

Hmmmmm. You're right, the Ringleader could claim and not be hindered. What could I do to discourage a claim?

Ties are declared to the thread, and no lynch is enacted. This is to prevent the Kingpin from being able to create a tie at will if two of the town vote together. However, I'm going to change the victory condition for the mafia, and just make it that they need to achieve an even voting power to win- that way, if the Ringleader is the only town left, the town loses.

Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Postby Keirador » 28 Jun 2015, 23:46

Telleo wrote:Hmmmmm. You're right, the Ringleader could claim and not be hindered. What could I do to discourage a claim?

I've been thinking about it and cannot figure out a way to prevent the Ringleader from claiming. Even giving the mafia a role-specific nightkill is no good; since the mafia know the allegiance of the town, it would take at most three shots to kill the Ringleader. You could always simply GM-ban the Ringleader from claiming under penalty of mod-kill, but that's a pretty blunt instrument to wield.

Are you gay-married to the existence of a Ringleader? Looking at the set-up, I think a lot of the fun is had in figuring out which participants' votes actually mattered; I'm not sure the Ringleader's role in nominating an assassin adds a lot of value. It's special enough to be a townie, there are only three of them.
Keirador

Postby condude1 » 29 Jun 2015, 06:42

Hmm, I, for one, would stick to the school of K.I.S.S. Purely vanilla, with the town losing when they're down to one person, and the nightkill being randomly assigned to a townie every night (or nightless and no NK?).
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.

Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
condude1

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Telleo » 30 Jun 2015, 06:59

That's not a bad idea. The orinal intent was to give the town another tool to help they identify each other, but I think the limited number of votes already does that. I'll remove the Ringleader role.

Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Next

Return to In Development