Post Office Mafia

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Post Office Mafia

Postby LOLSHOCK » 06 Sep 2013, 22:15

I'm not giving up on it but Pass the Torch is proving very hard to balance and I want to get a feel for GMing in a proper game before I run it, here is my latest idea for a relatively simple game to create that is hopefully quite interesting to play

Out in your remote island you have been enjoying the quiet life in your one horse town, the world has been good to you up until now. A bomb was recently discovered in one of your packages from the mainland, they usually contain helpful items to aid you in your village life but now Mr. Jones can be found in 23 different pieces outside the post office. Who could be responsible? Is there someone on the island working against you? What grudge do people hold against your innocent town? There's only one way to sort it out...

Rules

This is a vanilla mafia game where you can gain roles from taking packages.

12 players, 11 Role packages, 1 Sabotaged package

9 'vanilla' townies, 3 mafia

Standard rules:
1) Do NOT reference messages sent to you by the GM (me) unless I give you express permission to do so.
2) Play to win, if you are getting lynched do NOT under any circumstances throw a hissy fit and reveal your scum team mates or anything like that.
3) Do not be a dick.
4) Lynch votes to be given in font: #FF0000 in large or huge size, like this or this
5) If you wish to take a package use the following code
Code: Select all
[color=#0000FF][size=200][i]Package number x, please[/i][/size][/color]

which should display like this: Package number x, please
6) If the town has the opportunity to remove a role from the pool they must do so by placing a vote in font: #00FF00 in large or huge size, like this or this, abreviations are acceptable but I must be able to understand it, if not your vote doesn't count
7) The mafia may communicate during the night by PM but not during the day
8) No one else may use PMs to communicate with each other.
9) If you are targeted by a role you will not be informed.
Game Specific Rules
10) Players may take a package, if they take a bomb they die, if they take a clean package they will gain a role for the following night.
11) All packages will contain a role from the pool, roles may be repeated or not included in each round. (provisional rule at this point in time)
12) The Mafia will not gain a role from taking a package.
13) The Mafia will have 1 night kill, they will get an additional night kill if >75% of players take a package. Exceptions are: if all remaining packages at the end of a day contain a bomb (provisional rule at this time)
14) There will be 12 packages in the game at all times
15) One bomb will be added to the total bombs at the start of the day, bombs will be randomly re-assigned to packages at the start of each new day.
16) For every bomb in play at the start of the day, bar the starting one, players may Green vote 1 role to be taken out of the role pool for the following day.
17) Once a majority of players have taken packages no more players will be permitted to take a package.
18) If there are no bombs in play then no one may take a package.
19) If you take a package then for that day you may place an additional non refundable vote on 1 person of your choice in font: #FFFF00 in large or huge size (provisional rule at this point in time)
20) You will find out the role you received if you opened a package by PM from me at the start of the night.

Roles in the pool (role descriptions are in case some people new to mafia are interested) (roles have been updated)

Cop: Investigates one person at night and will be told their alignment
Naive Cop: Investigates one person at night and will be told that they are innocent, appears as a normal cop to themself
Doctor: Saves one person at night from a kill
Oracle: May choose one person at night, if they die that night or in the following day that alignment role is revealed to all
Hunter: If lynched can shoot one person and they die with them, you will remain a hunter until you gain a new role (Bulletproof and other passive roles will remove your hunter gun)
Angel: If the Mafia kill an angel then one mafia member will be randomly converted to a traitor (traitors will count towards the mafia count to fulfill their victory condition)
Bulletproof: Gains a bulletproof vest, makes them immune to one attempt to kill them either by the mafia or the hunter, does not affect being lynched. Vests do not stack, you may only have one at a time.
Postman: Can choose one package, if that package would have been sabotaged then it will be left clean, however If the postman dies then that package will be left unguarded and a bomb will be placed in it at the start of the next day. (My own role specific to this game)
Bomb Disposal: May pick a package, if it had a bomb in it on the previous day then the bomb will be defused. (My own role specific to this game)
Bombproof: Gains an explosion protected suit, makes them immune to one exploding package. Suits do not stack, you may only have one at a time. If a package explodes while you are wearing a suit you may NOT open another.
Miller: If investigated you will appear guilty, if lynched you will appear to be maf, if night killed you will be revealed as a villager, you will remain a miller until you gain a new role (Bulletproof and other passive roles will remove your miller guise).

Any thoughts or comments? I'm hoping to get this one into sign-ups ASAP so I don't want any major overhaul of the set-up.
Last edited by LOLSHOCK on 08 Sep 2013, 22:47, edited 4 times in total.
"I'm here to kick ass, get to 18 and convoy Syria to St Petersburg" - me
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1099)
All-game rating: (1077)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Post Office Mafia

Postby glacier777 » 06 Sep 2013, 22:36

This sounds absolutely epic Lolshock!

I do have many so you can tell I am a Mafia newbie!
1. Why can't the Mafia communicate during the day? I'm just interested.
2. In regards to rule 10, say 3 people take a package that day. Do they all get the same role? The next day, is that role put back into the pool?
3. I don't understand how Mafia Role Pools work in general (Sorry! :oops: ) So say those three people get a package on the first day, none of them take a bomb. One Mafia takes a package so the Mafia kill successfully that night. The next day are there eleven packages? And there would be 2 bombs?
4. I don't understand the Turncoat role. They're dead so how does their change in alignment matter?

Sign me up when it is taking signups please!
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby LOLSHOCK » 06 Sep 2013, 23:05

glacier777 wrote:This sounds absolutely epic Lolshock!

2. In regards to rule 10, say 3 people take a package that day. Do they all get the same role? The next day, is that role put back into the pool?
3. I don't understand how Mafia Role Pools work in general (Sorry! :oops: ) So say those three people get a package on the first day, none of them take a bomb. One Mafia takes a package so the Mafia kill successfully that night. The next day are there eleven packages? And there would be 2 bombs?
4. I don't understand the Turncoat role. They're dead so how does their change in alignment matter?

Thanks for the compliment :D

1) The mafia are meeting at night in secret to discuss their plans, if they can fine tune their plans to the circumstances as and when it suits them I feel it gives them to much of an advantage.
2) All people who take a package that does not contain a bomb will receive the same role.
3) At the start of each night I will put ALL of the roles into random.org , the one that comes up at the number 1 slot will be used for that night, roles will not be removed from the pool once they have been used. The packages will equal the number of people at all times, there will be one bomb added at the beginning of every day, whether a bomb was blown up yesterday or not (Postman bomb additions will be added to the default bomb that is added).
4) If you are a turncoat and the mafia decide to kill you then you do not die, instead you turn into a traitor. A traitor does not attend the mafia meetings and is unaware of who the mafia are, a traitor wins if the mafia win, they lose if the town win.

hope that's it covered, any other questions?
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Postby glacier777 » 06 Sep 2013, 23:16

LOLSHOCK wrote:

1) The mafia are meeting at night in secret to discuss their plans, if they can fine tune their plans to the circumstances as and when it suits them I feel it gives them to much of an advantage.
2) All people who take a package that does not contain a bomb will receive the same role.
3) At the start of each night I will put ALL of the roles into random.org , the one that comes up at the number 1 slot will be used for that night, roles will not be removed from the pool once they have been used. The packages will equal the number of people at all times, there will be one bomb added at the beginning of every day, whether a bomb was blown up yesterday or not (Postman bomb additions will be added to the default bomb that is added).
4) If you are a turncoat and the mafia decide to kill you then you do not die, instead you turn into a traitor. A traitor does not attend the mafia meetings and is unaware of who the mafia are, a traitor wins if the mafia win, they lose if the town win.

I think I completely understand now, thanks! It still sounds epic btw.
Just to check, lynching still happens, right?
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby LOLSHOCK » 06 Sep 2013, 23:21

glacier777 wrote:
LOLSHOCK wrote:

I think I completely understand now, thanks! It still sounds epic btw.
Just to check, lynching still happens, right?

There is normal lynching, yes.

Thanks for the praise, hopefully this one will be balanced enough to get it going, I think I've spent about a month working out the specifics of pass the torch :D
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Postby lecrae » 07 Sep 2013, 00:28

oh, right, I haven't ever finished the editting with you, will get going with that tonight.
lecrae

Standard rating: (1262)
All-game rating: (1305)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby LOLSHOCK » 07 Sep 2013, 00:56

lecrae wrote:oh, right, I haven't ever finished the editting with you, will get going with that tonight.

It's fine, right now I'm trying to do the maths of different set ups chances of working.
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Postby LOLSHOCK » 07 Sep 2013, 14:41

I have had a couple of people mention to me that the town may just not take packages and play it like vanilla with no night kill.

Right now I will probably go with: The mafia get 1 kill every night, they gain an additional kill if either 1 or 3 mafia take a package and lose their kill if 2 of them take a package.

Does anyone see any problems in that?
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Postby LOLSHOCK » 08 Sep 2013, 00:19

Rules have been updated to reflect suggestions.
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Return to In Development