Pass The Torch Mafia 11 players

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Pass The Torch Mafia 11 players

Postby LOLSHOCK » 15 Aug 2013, 03:15

At a campsite where all is peaceful something disturbs the tranquility, there has been a murder! You will take the role of one of the not so happy campers as you try to unearth the murderers, bad news however, you only brought 4 torches between you and it's awfully dark out in the woods at night...

The basic concept is that everyone will have a role (that won't be revealed) but they can only carry out their role if they have a torch to see their way around during the night. Other than the torches it is a standard game of mafia with hidden roles.

The Rules

The game will start with 4 torches placed in the middle of the camp, as a group you will have to Green Vote (font colour: #00FF00) for who you want to start with the torches, there will be no night 0 and no lynch on day 1.

Then comes night, at night the scum will get 1 kill for every torch they possess, no kill is valid. The town with the torches will get to use their roles and the night will end.

Then comes day and with it comes a lynch which will be done using a Red Vote (font colour: #FF0000). At the end of the day the town will decide who they will pass their torch to, they will do this by PMing me anonymously but they can tell/lie to the town whom they are passing it to.

This will continue on with the idea being that everyone gets very confused as to who has a torch and who doesn't by the end of the game.

If you had a torch the previous night and you are passed one then you have to pass it on unless your role says otherwise

If someone has two torches then one of them is wasted for the night.

If you have a torch you are immune to the night kill.

If you get lynched with a torch then the torch is lost forever.

Issues

How many scum should there be? I'm thinking I'll run this as an 11 player variant and 3/4 scum? I'm worried with 4 that if by some miracle they all get passed the torches then the game will not last very long, or if 2 of them get torches they can keep giving them to each other.

Should the scum get roles beyond night-killing? I think it seems pretty balanced without it.

Any other comments or suggestions I'll gladly listen to, thanks.
Last edited by LOLSHOCK on 15 Aug 2013, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm here to kick ass, get to 18 and convoy Syria to St Petersburg" - me
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1099)
All-game rating: (1077)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Pass The Torch Mafia 11 players

Postby lecrae » 15 Aug 2013, 03:45

I think that there should be 3 scum instead of four, for more balance, and I think that the scum should be unable to pass the torch to one another, this will keep it from being biased so that the scum get a torch once, and then automatically get one for every night.

Lastly, it really depends on the roles of the townies whether or not the scum should get roles, if the townies have powerful roles, then the scum should get some minor roles, if the townies have small roles, than the scum should get none. If you need help deciding roles, I can help you out behind-the-scenes.
lecrae

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1262)
All-game rating: (1305)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 15 Aug 2013, 04:10

I agree scum shouldn't be able to pass to another scum.

Also, I would say that if the scum have ANY torches, then they get ONE night kill...I wouldn't let them have multiple kills.

I agree I bet 3 is the right number of scum for this.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby lecrae » 15 Aug 2013, 04:31

asudevil wrote:I agree scum shouldn't be able to pass to another scum.

Also, I would say that if the scum have ANY torches, then they get ONE night kill...I wouldn't let them have multiple kills.

I agree I bet 3 is the right number of scum for this.

I think the amount of night kills can be greater than one depending on roles such as doctors, jailers, blockers, etc. Maybe any townie that gets a torch may save one person, and any mafia that gets it grants another kill? Also, I think the amount of torches should dwindle based on less people, such as 4 for 11-9, 3 for 8-6, 2 for 5-4, etc.

If you are going to want to stick to keeping roles, then you should ask for help from someone as a first time GM, I remember doing an "everybody gets a role" game for my first (and only) complete GM game, and I definitely needed Bazza's help to be able to get it completely balanced. The more games you play/GM, the better sense of balance you get.
lecrae

Postby LOLSHOCK » 15 Aug 2013, 15:58

1 problem with scum not being able to pass to each other is that the town can force them to pass to someone and if they can't then they work out that they are both scum.

I'd like if someone could look over the roles with me so that I can check if it is balanced, if you say you can do that here I'll PM you the ones I have in mind.
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Postby lecrae » 15 Aug 2013, 16:32

LOLSHOCK wrote:1 problem with scum not being able to pass to each other is that the town can force them to pass to someone and if they can't then they work out that they are both scum.

I'd like if someone could look over the roles with me so that I can check if it is balanced, if you say you can do that here I'll PM you the ones I have in mind.

it is possible, although very unlikely, and more balanced then if the Scum can, every night, night kill someone.

I would be happy to help out with the roles, PM them to me when you are ready!
lecrae

Postby LOLSHOCK » 15 Aug 2013, 17:09

I think I forgot to mention that if someone gets lynched while they have a torch then their torch is lost forever, that was how I planned to make the torches numbers dwindle.

And if you have a torch you can't be night killed.
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Postby Keirador » 15 Aug 2013, 19:43

Interesting idea.

Four torches. If I have Torch A on Night 1, can I then be passed Torch B on Night 2, Torch C on N3, Torch D on N4? Or just alternate between A and B?

If so, the most powerful townie roles (doc, cop) should just declare and be perpetual torch-holders.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby LOLSHOCK » 15 Aug 2013, 19:49

Keirador wrote:Interesting idea.

Four torches. If I have Torch A on Night 1, can I then be passed Torch B on Night 2, Torch C on N3, Torch D on N4? Or just alternate between A and B?

If so, the most powerful townie roles (doc, cop) should just declare and be perpetual torch-holders.

If you have a torch Night 1 you cannot have a torch Night 2, I'm going to say because the people need their sleep and can't stay up 2 nights in a row, sound feasible?
GM of Dethy [Mafia]
Participant in WIFOMafia
LOLSHOCK

Postby Keirador » 16 Aug 2013, 00:31

Since torch bearers are unknown, what happens if someone passes a torch to someone who had a torch last night?
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Next

Return to In Development