Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Postby Telleo » 18 Jun 2013, 13:09

I'm looking for an experienced GM to help me create a Buffy the Vampire Slayer Mafia mod. I have a shell drawn up of some basic mechanics, but I don't have the experience to refine it and balance it by myself. Help?
Last edited by Telleo on 19 Jun 2013, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Harb wrote:Telleo is gender-bent Chaucer from A Knight's Tale

Moderator of the Mafia Subforum!
Proud Owner of a limited-edition Medal of Idiotic Valor.
"Russian Roulette is not the same without a gun." -Lady Gaga.
Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (951)
All-game rating: (908)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Postby Keirador » 19 Jun 2013, 01:33

What do the mafia do when the town demands everyone full reveal Day One? The mafia have no safe claims. They'll be caught lying immediately.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Telleo » 19 Jun 2013, 01:45

What if I added more townsperson roles, but didn't actually assign three of them? Then I could assign Faith, Spike, and Drusilla with aliases to use in case such a Full Reveal happens. Would that work, or do you see a way around it?

Alternatively, I could just add a rule against Full Reveals, I suppose...

Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Postby Keirador » 19 Jun 2013, 01:53

The weird victory condition makes this harder to work through. Claims give each side the proper target.

What do the mafia vamps and Angel know about each other? Who's in the pool of vamps, but not exactly who has which role?

Is there any way for Angel to lose his soul besides Buffy encountering him? If so it's not listed in the rules. That makes Angel a huge spoiler. If he knows all the vampires, he just declares them from the very beginning and declares himself as Angel. Buffy avoids patrolling him. The Vamps kill him (I'm assuming they can't turn him into a vampire because he's already a vampire--can they take his soul? that's a solution) but it doesn't matter, he has secured the town win condition by revealing the Big Bad Vamps as target, and Willow can just revive him anyway. And since she can restore his soul as well, it actually makes a ton of sense for the player assigned Angel to just determine to play for the town and trust Willow to put his soul back in him.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Postby Keirador » 19 Jun 2013, 02:05

Telleo wrote: What if I added more townsperson roles, but didn't actually assign three of them? Then I could assign Faith, Spike, and Drusilla with aliases to use in case such a Full Reveal happens. Would that work, or do you see a way around it?

Creating specialty safe claims for the mafia to use is a pretty typical defense against full reveals, but you've got to sacrifice some flavor. If everybody full reveals, and we have Buffy, Xander, Willow, Giles, and Cassie Newton from Season Seven, Cassie Newton from Season Seven is going down hard. We need to believe, in the event of a full reveal, that ANYBODY (maybe not Buffy, based on your rules) might actually be the mafia.

The problem with just tinkering with this set-up is that some claims are already safer than others. Based on the rules, we know (for example) that Giles protects Buffy which is an intrinsically town-aligned job, so somebody who claims as Giles and isn't counter-claimed is definitely town. And we've already got little webs of townies knowing other townies.

Telleo wrote:Alternatively, I could just add a rule against Full Reveals, I suppose...

Tricky to enforce, I think.

I've never designed a game before, but my intuition is that experienced game creators are going to say this entire game is too complex, with too many power roles, too many shifting dynamics, and too much information already known.

With a game with really specialized roles like this, it might be better to develop it privately with an experienced GM or two. Players not knowing from the get-go what kinds of highly specialized roles are in the game can alleviate some of the high-information problems.
Keirador

Postby Telleo » 19 Jun 2013, 02:22

Yeah. I think that might be a good idea. You're absolutely right about the Angel victory conditions too. However, and this just occurred to me, the Mafia doesn't need safeguards against a revel. If everyone reveals, and the mafia reveals who they truly are, then it still takes three turns to kill all the mafia (one turn each for Spike, Drusilla, and Faith), and only two to kill Giles and Buffy - the key would be to nerf Willow, so that she can't protect Giles/Buffy.

I'll see what I can do about developing in private with another GM from here out. Thanks for your input!

Third time's the charm.
Telleo

Postby Niakan » 21 Jun 2013, 23:01

Just noticed this Telleo. I'm happy to help via PM if you're still looking.
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (936)
All-game rating: (1002)

Return to In Development