Follow the Leaders - Mafia Game Idea

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Follow the Leaders - Mafia Game Idea

Postby presser84 » 09 Jun 2013, 06:39

So Fate of the World just finished. That game has inspired me to try to come up a with a mafia game with a similar multivote concept and random role assignment (that I would be borrowing from Harb)

The idea is that it would be a standard town v mafia game, Probably 11v4. All players start the game vanilla. Each day there would be 2 simultaneous votes. A lynch vote and a leader nomination. The lynch vote will go as normal with that player being killed based on plurality of lynch votes. The other vote is for the leader/leaders. You may not vote for yourself as the leader. The leader(s) that night will (privately to the GM) nominate players to give roles to based on one half (rounded up) of the number of players who voted for them that day. The roles will then be randomly assigned based on a pool of roles (again borrowed from Harb in FoTw). Note the leader does not decided what roles, only who is to get A role. It is possible for the same player to get multiple roles and for the same role to be assigned to multiple players. All roles assigned the previous night go back into the role pool following the lynch vote. If a player dies before their role goes back into the pool (by lynch, NK, or other method) and no on else has that role(s), it/those roles are removed from the pool permanently.

A Players' alignment will be stated upon death but not their role(s) and if it/they has been removed from the pool.

I welcome thoughts and suggestions for changes, numbers, mechanics etc...
Last edited by presser84 on 10 Jun 2013, 05:49, edited 1 time in total.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Follow the Leaders - Mafia Game Idea

Postby Keirador » 09 Jun 2013, 06:53

Sounds interesting. 11:4 is only reasonable if you're making this an invitational or otherwise restricting who gets to participate based on the quantity and quality of participation.If it's all-comers, in order to be balanced you'd need a ridiculously town-oriented ratio so that first, the town can kill off all the non-participants, and then still have a 2:1 ratio afterwards, when the actual scum-hunting game starts. I would also not use the same roles that Harb used in FotW.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby presser84 » 09 Jun 2013, 07:08

Keirador wrote:Sounds interesting. 11:4 is only reasonable if you're making this an invitational or otherwise restricting who gets to participate based on the quantity and quality of participation.If it's all-comers, in order to be balanced you'd need a ridiculously town-oriented ratio so that first, the town can kill off all the non-participants, and then still have a 2:1 ratio afterwards, when the actual scum-hunting game starts. I would also not use the same roles that Harb used in FotW.

because some were scum aligned? I like that actually and in this game a lot of roles that should be in play (8 minimum N1).

In fact I was also thinking of changing it so that a player has to receive a minimum of 2 votes to be considered a leader (2 votes =1 role assigned, 3=2, 4=2, 5=3, and so on)

invitational... maybe. I think FoTw is not a good sample of the level of engagement we often can get in open games here.
presser84

Postby lecrae » 09 Jun 2013, 15:24

This sounds like a great idea, and I disagree with Keir that this is definitely workable for the town (if the roles are pro-town). Have you considered putting in a third party of sorts?
lecrae

Standard rating: (1262)
All-game rating: (1305)

Postby Keirador » 09 Jun 2013, 23:03

presser84 wrote:
Keirador wrote:Sounds interesting. 11:4 is only reasonable if you're making this an invitational or otherwise restricting who gets to participate based on the quantity and quality of participation.If it's all-comers, in order to be balanced you'd need a ridiculously town-oriented ratio so that first, the town can kill off all the non-participants, and then still have a 2:1 ratio afterwards, when the actual scum-hunting game starts. I would also not use the same roles that Harb used in FotW.

because some were scum aligned? I like that actually and in this game a lot of roles that should be in play (8 minimum N1).

In fact I was also thinking of changing it so that a player has to receive a minimum of 2 votes to be considered a leader (2 votes =1 role assigned, 3=2, 4=2, 5=3, and so on)

I'm not against the idea of pro-mafia roles, there should just also be more pro-town roles.

presser84 wrote:invitational... maybe. I think FoTw is not a good sample of the level of engagement we often can get in open games here.

I hear that a lot. What is a good sample? How long ago was it? Are those players still here?

lecrae wrote:This sounds like a great idea, and I disagree with Keir that this is definitely workable for the town (if the roles are pro-town).

Yeah, if the roles are more pro-town, I agree, but presser suggested using the same roles from FotW. No cop.
Did you know there’s a faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home? It’s true. She’s there now. She’s always there, just out of your sight. Always just out of your sight.
Keirador

Location: Living secretly in the home of every single resident of Night Vale
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1132)
All-game rating: (1133)

Postby presser84 » 09 Jun 2013, 23:19

I didn't say same rolls I'm just purposefully not talking about what roles to not compromise the game at all.
presser84

Return to In Development