Survivor Mafia

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

Survivor Mafia

Postby lecrae » 07 Apr 2013, 05:08

Well, since I just love coming up with new ideas, I think I will try at another one. You know what mafia reminds me of? The game Survivor. In survivor, you vote people off the island who are not beneficial to yourself, and there are often different alignments going on. But that was where the tricky part went in. If in the show Survivor, alliances could shift, and no one was glued to any alliance, how can we make a compromise with Mafia?

That was the tricky part, and the part I am open to changing. But how about, in this compromise, the alignments are constantly changing? How would we get this done though? Well, I will create a pool of, let's say the game fits 16 players (not the amount of players necessarily in). So, 4 of them would be mafia and do their mafia stuff. there will be the town, and one or two third parties sprinkled in between. Some people would have vanilla roles, others would not, but everyone has a role. However, every night, two people's roles are swapped, along with their alignment! You could be a townie, suddenly becoming a mafia member! Once someone gets booted off the island though, their role is gone. Of course, this is all random, so people of the same alignment could be switching roles, I just think it is a good idea to toy with, I am a huge fan of Survivor, and think this version would be very fun, with some tweaks.

What suggestions do you guys have? this is in the idea phase, and I want to know if this is a good idea.
lecrae

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1262)
All-game rating: (1305)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Survivor Mafia

Postby asudevil » 07 Apr 2013, 05:23

You have to be careful if you swap a mafia OFF the mafia...because they would know the mafia team
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby lecrae » 07 Apr 2013, 05:32

ah, yes, I forgot to mention that problem, although I do remember that. My answer to that problem was another element that should add SOMETHING to it, the mafia chat is anonymous! Basically, they communicate through me anonymously, and can say whatever they want and say that they are whoever they want.
lecrae

Postby Firestorm94 » 07 Apr 2013, 05:59

lecrae wrote:ah, yes, I forgot to mention that problem, although I do remember that. My answer to that problem was another element that should add SOMETHING to it, the mafia chat is anonymous! Basically, they communicate through me anonymously, and can say whatever they want and say that they are whoever they want.

You could ask Nimb to set up anonymous accounts on his forum so that communication is not cut off whenever you are offline.
Firestorm94

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1026)
All-game rating: (1025)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby lecrae » 07 Apr 2013, 16:22

Good thinking, I did not know there was that possibility, is there anything wrong with this idea that I missed?
lecrae

Postby bkbkbk » 07 Apr 2013, 19:00

Townie plays epic game, gets 3 mafia lynched. Gets his role swapped with the last mafia.

Mafia plays epic game, fools everyone, drives mislynches, gets down to a point where the mafia kill to win. Gets his role swapped with a townie.

Townie claims his role, later gets it swapped with a mafia. New townie (ex-mafia) claims his new role (townie's old role), nobody counters his claim of swapping roles, town puts two and two together, new mafia (ex-townie) gets lynched.

Just a selection of the potential problems with that system, and conversion in general. Not to mention the fact that mafia with anonymous communication are going to get owned. The mafia are meant to be an informed minority - you take away the "informed" part, you get left with a game of 'uninformed minority vs uninformed majority'. And you can guess who's going to win that.
Regards,
BK

Moderator of this shady corner of the forum. Come and pay us a visit!
bkbkbk

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby lecrae » 07 Apr 2013, 19:08

On your first two points, this is a another way to play, they may not want to be too dominant on the case they do not win. Also there is third party involved, which I guess swill make sure does;t help the town, but kinda helps the mafia. The thing is, you never know what side you will end up, so what will your strategy be? I think it can be a fun experiment.

However, your point about claiming a role like that does bring problem,s. I guess role revealing is even more dangerous than usual!

If the mafia is uninformed, how do we equal that out? Give extra powerful roles!
lecrae

Postby bkbkbk » 07 Apr 2013, 19:14

Roles don't solve much when the mafia are blind on who to target. What's the point in trying at all when you know your alignment could change without warning, with nothing you can do about it?
Regards,
BK

Moderator of this shady corner of the forum. Come and pay us a visit!
bkbkbk

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby lecrae » 07 Apr 2013, 19:16

Well, in anonymous chat, they can still tell you who they are, just they don't have to tell the truth. Maybe another way, instead of randomness, to change role/alignment, everyone has to vote for the person they want the role to change, along with the lynch vote.
lecrae

Postby sjg11 » 07 Apr 2013, 23:15

Sorry lecrae but I think bk's right here. The setup is genuinely flawed. Without anonymity all it takes is for one scum to be converted and it's game over. With anonymity you destroy the only advantage that the Mafia have in the game and make genuine scumhunting impossible since, if the Mafia are genuinely scumhunting because they don't know who their buddies are, then it's impossible for the town to deduce who knows more than they should do since nobody knows anything. It effectively becomes a game of "Randomly pick a guy to lynch and see who ends up winning" which isn't really Mafia.

What could possibly work is if everyone was either town or Mafia but then every player has an extra personal victory condition (like survive to the end of the game or get bkbkbk lynched) and these personal victory conditions could be swapped around. That might work but, again, it poses the problem around someone working hard to fulfill a win condition only then to be sent back to square one again after all of their hard work which discourages good play.

To combat this my suggestion would be that if someone completes their PVO then they get a new one which has the element of changing win conditions without changing the fundamentals of a game of Mafia. That might be the best solution but, knowing nothing about Survivor, I couldn't say whether it fits in with flavour or not.
One of the people in charge of the Mafia forum.
Telleo wrote:The mafia forum, to them,
Sir SJG's known as a gem,
He writes a good game,
and runs it the same,
Oh what a perfect GM!

Come on Arsenal!
sjg11

Standard rating: (908)
All-game rating: (899)

Next