1984 Mafia (Idea Thread)

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Zoomzip, Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11

1984 Mafia (Idea Thread)

Postby Malevolence » 04 Aug 2012, 23:26

As the name suggests- this mafia variant is devised to be based off of the Orwellian novel, 1984, which is one of my personal favorites. Like in the dystopian world envisioned, The Party will comprise "the town" and intermingled within will be "Brotherhood" people, those who secretly rebel against the orthodox norm and do not engage in doublethink, at least in their deepest thoughts.

Lingo- All GM notices and posts should be done in Newspeak, or the closest to it possible, for the purposes of this game- dead=unperson.

Roles- Each Role will comprise three parts
Your Loyalty- either to the Party or against it
Your Status in the Party System (Prole, outer party, Inner party)
Your Abilities- if any

At the head of the Party system is Big Brother, who will, as a figurehead, not be a playable character. Instead, an Inner Party member will take up the mantle as the most beneficial under the Party system. His ability is the strongest in game, and will NEVER be Brotherhood in loyalty (The Party is inherited via testing, not blood or merit).

Below him will be the Outer Party, one player representing each ministry within the Party System, The Ministry of Truth, Ministry of Love, Ministry of Plenty, and Ministry of Peace. Their abilities will be significantly weaker and may be Brotherhood or Party in alignment.

Beneath the Party are the Proles, who have no political or social worth to society at all. They comprise about 85% of the population in Oceania and their only weapon is their voice and vote.

That leaves it breaking down as follows-

15 players
Inner Party - 1
Outer Party - 4
Proles- 10

11 Loyal Party Members
4 Brotherhood

Loyalties-
Party win if all Brotherhood are killed
Brotherhood win if they outnumber those currently winning with the Party

Gameplay
Day phase- all players may communicate in thread, at days end, Party members will vote and decide who to unperson. If no Party is left alive to vote, all players will vote.

All Party members may communicate with each other in a mini public press PM thread- they MUST use this thread and may not speak directly to any other party members alone- but the 5 together may communicate separate from the proles.

Night Phase-
Brotherhood that have found each other may communicate, as may the Party. Proles are silent, as ensured by the telescreens (unless brotherhood).
Night abilities may be activated if any are present.

Communication- ALL MUST CC THE GM
Party members (both Inner and Outer) will be set up with a PM thread that they may use to communicate within their group of 5. You may NOT single out Party to speak with alone or in a smaller group from this PM. All 5 must use it alone as a sort of separate public press- in addition to the main thread of communication.

Brotherhood players may Pm another player at any time during the game (and CC the GM of course). If this targetted player is also Brotherhood- the two players may now communicate through PM secretly. If the targeted player is loyal to the Party, the messaging player becomes and unperson.
If a brotherhood player already in PM with another PMs someone else who is brotherhood- they are added to the threesome PM (and so on for four). However, if the third (or fourth) player is Party loyal, all brotherhood within that thread become unpersons.

EX- Player A (Brotherhood) contacts player B (Brotherhood)- they are now in PM. Player A then contacts Player C (Party). Both Player A and Player B become unpersons.

Obviously still some ways to go- I have the abilities for players all lined up already to go.

My biggest question to you guys is- how many brotherhood should I have- I am torn between 4 and 5 depending upon how lucky or unlucky they are with finding each other.

anyways- what are everyone's thoughts?
Last edited by Malevolence on 10 Aug 2012, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1049)
All-game rating: (1031)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: 1984 Mafia (Idea Thread)

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 04 Aug 2012, 23:35

when might this start?
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)

Postby Malevolence » 04 Aug 2012, 23:35

bluestreaksoccer wrote:when might this start?

I need to work out the kinks first- and im unsure If i would even GM it, but look at the pending games to get a general idea.
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Postby bluestreaksoccer » 04 Aug 2012, 23:36

add me as interested
"LIVE. DIE. REPEAT" -how I play diplomacy
bluestreaksoccer

Standard rating: (852)
All-game rating: (855)

Postby Malevolence » 04 Aug 2012, 23:36

not taking signs yet- just trying to get ideas
Malevolence

Postby Ironhammer » 10 Aug 2012, 22:21

Looks a nice idea, but playing as a prole does seem a little short changed, they can't vote and have no night abilities, not the most fun role to play.

I think that adding something that does something to the proles just to make them interesting to play, would be a good idea.
You Obviously Love Owls
Ironhammer

Standard rating: (942)
All-game rating: (947)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Malevolence » 10 Aug 2012, 22:30

ok- maybe proles can vote as well, just for gameplay's sake- i agree with you.
Malevolence

Postby pjkon » 30 Aug 2012, 02:53

I have never played mafia before, just read some of the intereting live and archived threads, but I have read the book, and this idea is awesome!.

That said I have to disagree with the idea that proles can vote. It was a key part of the 1984 political setup that the proles cannot vote.

One idea to counterbalance the boredom that would go along with the no voting proles scenario would be as follows.

The goal of the brotherhood is to eventually cause a proletarian revolution. So every turn all proles vote on whether or not to revolt. If a majority (or perhaps supermajority) of proles vote to revolt then the brotherhood wins the game. All proles can see who voted what in each revolution vote, but they cannot control the lynch, only inform to the party. Remember (As of course you will) even if the bortherhood ha a majority of the votes in the prole block to revolt from the getgo there's no way for them to know that, and if they try and fail they can all die quickly, it adds another element to the fact that loyalty is unknown to everyone (the key point in the drama in 1984 (other than the ministry of love scenes of course)).

This game will be very hard for the brotherhood as they are stripped of the primary mafia advantage (information). Therefore you might want to consider giving them more power roles then usual.

Also do all members of a pm group die if one is lynched? This seems true to 1984 (prefect ministry of love interrogation) but also seems rather anti mafia to make a good game.

Anyway, I hope I'm allowed to post here even though I'm not a player. Depending on when this game gets going I might play it (if you'll take me).

So anyway, what do you think of that idea. I proposed it mainly because it works with flavor, but do you guys who have played the game think it will work for gameplay?
It is better to have scs then allies, assuming something aproaching equal combat power in each

Your credibility with eliminated powers is irrelavant

Keep your allies happy enough that they stay allies

If you are receiving a message from me ignore this signature
pjkon

All-game rating: (1000)

Return to In Development