Dungeons & Dragons Mafia (1st edition) idea

Future game ideas/adverts which are not currently open for sign-ups

Moderators: Telleo, bkbkbk, condude1, sjg11, Zoomzip

Dungeons & Dragons Mafia (1st edition) idea

Postby vindictus » 26 Feb 2012, 02:52

The Vampire Diaries Item mafia has some really cool mechanics, and it inspired me for regular type game along these lines that has some cool potential.

Items! - This is an item based mafia! Potions! Staves! Swords!

Classes! - You choose your class. Thief, or Cleric, or Wizard, or Fighter? Or perhaps you'll choose the Assassin from the Unearthed Arcana?

(maybe) The Dungeon - Something neat around a themed dungeon (likely the first one will be The Tomb of Horrors!).

(maybe) Alignments - A new twist would be the mafia is all Chaotic Evil, but that opens up the door for other interesting mechanisms.

Let me know what'chall think.
Platinum member of the Classicists
vindictus

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (974)
All-game rating: (974)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Mafia (1st edition) idea

Postby Rolan A Doobie » 26 Feb 2012, 03:06

If you are looking for a co-author/co-creator....I'm on board.

I'll be over here, wearing my Helm Of Infinite Genius.
Rolan A Doobie

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby vindictus » 26 Feb 2012, 03:44

Rolan A Doobie wrote:If you are looking for a co-author/co-creator....I'm on board.

I'll be over here, wearing my Helm Of Infinite Genius.

Yeah that'd be awesome!
vindictus

Postby Zerix » 26 Feb 2012, 03:47

I'd be pretty interested in this.
Zerix

Postby vindictus » 26 Feb 2012, 03:53

Some ideas for the classes (every player would get to choose):

Thief:
Steal an item during the day

Cleric:
Remove curse (oh yes, cursed items would be in play)

Bard:
Identify all an items class abilities

Wizard:
Duplicate an item.

Sorcerer:
Destroy an item.

etc etc

Hmmm, then there could be Races too.
vindictus

Postby Lollonais » 26 Feb 2012, 10:10

vindictus wrote:Some ideas for the classes (every player would get to choose):

Thief:
Steal an item during the day

Cleric:
Remove curse (oh yes, cursed items would be in play)

Bard:
Identify all an items class abilities

Wizard:
Duplicate an item.

Sorcerer:
Destroy an item.

etc etc

Hmmm, then there could be Races too.

Perhaps do items, class, race and such like the card game "Munchkin"?
Lollonais

Timezone: GMT-8

Postby QRandom » 26 Feb 2012, 16:33

I would definitely play.
...!

Woof!!
QRandom

Postby Zoomzip » 03 Mar 2012, 14:53

I would like a bag of holding.

Failing that,I will settle for holding my bag. Wait--

In please.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
Zoomzip

Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)

Postby jeanphi » 05 Mar 2012, 09:06

Interested! All Vindi games are fun!
Just don't forget: it is a GAME. The only reason to play is for fun.
FIER D'ETRE LYONNAIS
jeanphi

Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Peanut » 19 Jun 2012, 17:20

I’ve been playing around with a game mechanic for a while, but have yet to come up with a balanced game to put it in. The concept involves moving through dangerous underground passageways (think Indiana Jones) where in order to proceed one member of the team is voted to test the way. The team then vote on the route to take (left or right). The Mafia know which is the safe route, so this should give the town a lot of vote data to work on.

This mechanic on its own doesn’t make a game, as there is only a 50/50 chance of a ‘lynch’ each day (better than 50% for town and lower than 50% for mafia – assuming the mafia influence the direction votes). So I’m not sure if there should be night kills, or how they should be modified if there are – maybe more protective rolls?

Anyway on seeing this thread, I thought this mechanic could be worked into the D&D theme.
This is an opener that I came up with:

Escape the Labyrinth Mafia

You have been imprisoned by the Evil Lord <insert name here> and have been residing in his dungeons for the last few days awaiting his pleasure. Around you are various other miscreants in a similar situation.

Conversation is limited, as rumour has it, that the paranoid Evil Lord even goes so far as to place informers in his dungeons in the hope of overhearing incriminating information.

Suddenly, there is a rumble like distant thunder, only this gets louder and doesn’t fade away. The ground starts to tremble, is it an earthquake or magic at work? A huge block from the ceiling falls down across the door instantly killing the unfortunate soul cowering there; you only hope he’s one of the informers. Then the ground below you gives way and you drop into darkness.

After only a few seconds the noise subsides, the trembling stops and you become aware of the groans and coughing of those around you. As your eyes become accustomed to the gloom you realise that you are in an ornate chamber, dimly lit by strange flameless torches. There is the symbol of a many-branched tree with an eye above carved into one wall and you suddenly realise where you are – the Labyrinth!

Tales of this place abound, but many people believe they are only made up to scare children into being good. The story goes that the Evil Lords father had a labyrinth dug below the palace where he would send prisoners for his entertainment, any wrong turn would result in a gruesome death.

At this point the characters can find various items, perhaps in chests around the room that they can use in the game?

The way back through the dungeons is clearly blocked, the Evil Lords men will probably breakthrough eventually, but the ceiling looks decidedly unstable so you don’t want to be around when that happens.

There are only two exits from the chamber, both are pitch black passageways and any attempt to illuminate the way with the torches from the walls fails dismally, the passages are clearly cursed so that no light can penetrate more than a couple of inches.

Between you it is decided that the only option is to brave the labyrinth, and not too soon, as another huge boulder falls to the floor nearby, luckily this time no-one is hurt.
You still suspect that some of the Lords men are amongst your number and that they may even know the secret of the Labyrinth, but no-one is coming forwards.

So you decide that each afternoon you will vote one of your number to brave the way ahead, and then in the evening on the route to take (Left or Right). The unfortunate will then be made to test the way for the rest of you.

Vindi can use this mechanic if he so wishes for his Dungeons & Dragons game. If not I will try to finesse the idea into a proper game and so welcome any thoughts on how to balance things.

The map would look like this with the team starting at the top, and moving into a new chamber with each successful choice. Each dead-end is well named :twisted:

Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Next

Return to In Development