How to Paint.NET

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

Re: How to Paint.NET

Postby sroca » 07 Jul 2009, 22:02

raphtown wrote:I believe paint does not work for mac. However, gimp works on macs and is very similar (as far as I can tell).

Thanks raphtown. Do you have a link to it?
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1131)
All-game rating: (1133)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby raphtown » 11 Jul 2009, 03:57

The Classicists are a group dedicated to reducing player NMRs.
raphtown

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby dilip » 13 Jul 2009, 12:03

wow, thanks a lot sroca!
and a special thanks for using the 1900 map so its crazy easy for me GMing 1900 right now.
When arousing a tiger, do so with a long stick- Chinese proverb
dilip

Timezone: GMT+6

Postby sroca » 13 Jul 2009, 21:36

dilip wrote:wow, thanks a lot sroca!
and a special thanks for using the 1900 map so its crazy easy for me GMing 1900 right now.

Haha Welcome dilip. Anytime.
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby dilip » 14 Jul 2009, 18:20

sroca wrote:
dilip wrote:wow, thanks a lot sroca!

Haha Welcome dilip. Anytime.

really? so wanna do the next orders for me? just kidding of course, you probably got enough on your plate, and i'm enjoying (kind of) GMing
When arousing a tiger, do so with a long stick- Chinese proverb
dilip

Timezone: GMT+6

Postby sroca » 16 Jul 2009, 03:12

Don't know why I didn't earlier but the link for a editing photos program for macs is now included in the first post right next to the pain.net link.

sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby sroca » 16 Aug 2009, 03:34

Back to the top with this as well.

sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

Postby Aeschines » 08 Nov 2009, 00:44

I've been having a big issue with my .NET framework for my computer. I need it in order to run my paint.net with which I GM my games. Lately I've been having to go out and find other computers to use. Can anyone help me with this?

I'm having an issue with the installation of .NET 3.5 SP1. It gets about 3/10 of the way and then says there was an error and it needs to close send error report, blah blah blah.

I'm trying to download from microsoft.com/downloads but it hasn't worked from anywhere else either.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
Error.JPG
Error.JPG (15.77 KiB) Viewed 1995 times
Platinum Member of the Classicists
Aeschines
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1576

Postby SidneyKidney » 17 Nov 2009, 03:14

It has taken me a VERY LONG TIME.

It has been a labour of love.

I have finally completed the maps for standard diplomacy. They are as follows:

This is the map as it stands at the start of the game. Basic opening positions.

However, after Spring 01 units move and territories change hands. For this reason I created a second map:

This is the blank map which can be opened in any 'Paint' (if in windows) or 'GIMP' (if using a Mac). You can then change who owns the territories by using the dropper tool to select the countries appropriate colour and using the 'fill' tool to fill in the territory.

"But how do I get the units?" I hear you cry. Well I have all of them too. Each individual type is coloured appropriately and has a transparent background. To create your desired map; fix the territories the appropriate colour and add each individual unit as a new layer to the image. Once that is done flatten the image, save it and presto- you have your new map.

If you want the unit icons please PM me. If I get a chance at a later time I will upload them to online storage somewhere but until then PM me if you want them.

Like I say this has been a labour of love. Take the images free if you want them. All I ask is a little recognition wherever you use them. :)

And srorca- thanks for your initial guidance, the idea (and sorry for hi-jacking your thread).
Helpful signature links.

That useful tool for testing out moves? Thats JDip.

Want to learn how to be an evil overlord? Check it out here.
SidneyKidney

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1095)
All-game rating: (1097)
Timezone: GMT

Postby sroca » 17 Nov 2009, 03:19

No problem SidneyKidney. I'm just glad others have taken an interest in map editing. More GM's means less average work load per GM. Hopefully when the summer comes I can get back into GM'ing myself. I'm thinking a new World Dip should be up for starting by then.

Oh and I understand your "labor of love." It takes me a while myself, although not terribly long, to create the Layers for a new map so I can easily edit it in Paint.net. I do have several already though and have gotten quite good at it. You should have asked me for the files cause I have the normal diplomacy map although it is in the Polygon format I do believe. I have others if you want them.
Regards,
Sroca

sroca
Sponsor
Sponsor

PreviousNext

Return to Map-making