The standard map, now in layers

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

The standard map, now in layers

Postby RazorBran » 25 Sep 2016, 06:02

Since I started playing on this site, I've always liked to work out my problems on a copy of the map. If you've done this, you probably know the limitations of bucket-filling an image that is full of labels and textured topography. So eventually I got around to removing the colors and unit markers and breaking it down into layers. Behold!

I give you three separate files, to be recombined by you in whatever program you choose. I use the GIMP, which is free and open-source, but in order to make something everyone could use, I reduced the original number of layers and made them all png files of the smallest size. Units are not included. If you are just working out a problem, rather than running a game, it'll be easier to add them ad hoc than to recreate the designers' work (army or fleet × holding or dislodged × 75 spaces + 3 coasts).

The layers:

3. First come the land spaces. This bottom layer is the one you will select in order to pick colors and bucket-fill the territories. (In most programs capable of handling layers, you can choose one layer to edit even while others are visible on top of it.) You can pick existing colors off the map, but I also added a palette up in the Norwegian Sea so you will always have a reference. It includes neutral beige, the sea color, fog-of-war gray, plus never-before-seen mud-of-war brown, snow-of-war white, Spanish lime, Spanish slate, and Polish polka-dot (just joking). The palette will be hidden by the ocean layer. Hidden in Siberia are the colors for the Versailles variant.

2. In the middle, the sea spaces. When you select this layer, you can color the seas too! I like to mark who controls what.

1. On top, the texture makes this map complete. Cyprus, Crete, Sicily, Sardinia, Corsica, Ireland, Gotland, and Kolguyev are opaque like Iceland, Switzerland, and the Baleares, and will not change color. :roll: Sorry.

The idea, of course, is that you can recreate the game map, or develop these files further to make other kinds of changes. It comports with the official map, but it won't be identical. All I had to work with was the finished map! Credit for the original creation goes to Tobold, TheCraw, and SaltySailor. My earliest messings-around date back to the previous version, later to be revised with the flourishes and corrections by SaltySailor.

This is my first post! Hope you get some use out of it.
Last edited by RazorBran on 30 Sep 2016, 06:38, edited 1 time in total.
RazorBran

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: The standard map, now in layers

Postby RazorBran » 25 Sep 2016, 06:12

I'll reserve this spot for troubleshooting. To start with, be sure you are working in full RBG color with a transparent background. The first two images, for file size reasons, know only their own colors, and use transparency. The third uses partial transparency.
RazorBran

Postby GhostEcho » 26 Sep 2016, 02:56

Oh, that's pretty fantastic. I don't know if I want the top layer from the PlayDip interface, but I can put the other two to good use.

I do note that the ocean layer by itself doesn't cover up the color palette in the top right, but that's relatively easy to adjust for.

Thanks!
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
GhostEcho

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 995
All-game rating: 970

Postby RazorBran » 30 Sep 2016, 06:25

Why thank you. Yeah, the three are made to fit together, so I suppose I might design a single-layer version that's just unlabeled land and sea spaces all colorable.

By the way, here's Versailles:
RazorBran

Return to Map-making