Google Draw

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

Google Draw

Postby MinnesotanKaiser » 19 Jan 2016, 02:35

Hello,

Recently I have been working on creating my own PBF variant and, hopefully, in the near future, I will be able to start it up. As of now, I use Google Draw as my go-to map making tool, because I HATE paint.net and I have no knowledge of other free softwares. So, would it be alright if I used Google Draw? Is there any issues I might run into?

MK
Leader of the Worker's Republic of Terran
Leader of the West African Imperium-in-Exile
Honorary Custodian of the Cyon Imperium

Played Gondor in The Two Towers PBF variant

Those born once will die twice and those born twice will die once.
-Chuck Missler
MinnesotanKaiser

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (945)
All-game rating: (947)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Google Draw

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 19 Jan 2016, 03:17

Depends...I'm unfamiliar with Google Draw, but the bullet points you're generally looking for are:
Can you save it as a compressed image? Gif, Jpg, etc.
Does it save layer information? This is crucial for maps, since you'll need layers in order to move pieces, and it's a general convention to have names of provinces on a separate layer from the background map (colors, lines, etc.)

If it has both of those functionalities, then you should be alright using it to create maps. You may run into issues long term if it's not compatible with PDN files and you want to GM an already established map. You'll also definitely want a move tool that allows you to manually select an area (a piece, for example) and drag it to a different area.

I know some people use Gimp as well, also a free software, but I have no experience with it in regards to map making.

Honestly, the easiest option is probably to adjust to Paint.net, which I've found to be a pretty intuitive program personally. But, if you really don't want to use it, these are some of the basic things you'll need to look for in a software.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1209
All-game rating: 1389
Timezone: GMT-5

Return to Map-making