PAINT.NET question (Answered)

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

PAINT.NET question (Answered)

Postby glacier777 » 12 Jul 2013, 17:38

I'm pretty bad with technology in general. I can use PAINT.NET but whenever anything unexpected happens, I have no clue what to do!

I have a fairly simple issue here (I think!):
I want to change the colour of a province. So I use the colour picker to select the colour from the map, then I use the paint bucket and click on the province. A lot of the time however, all the provinces of that colour change to the new colour or various province borders change to that colour.
- Yes, I have the right layer selected and yes, there are no breaks/gaps in the borders.

What do I do?

Thanks
Last edited by glacier777 on 13 Jul 2013, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Re: PAINT.NET question

Postby UpQuark » 12 Jul 2013, 22:38

2 important points to remember:

1. Undo exists in Paint.net, even multiple backwards iterations. Use the History window (Window>History or F6) to see a list of each task you have ordered, and watch as you undo them (Edit>Undo or Ctrl-Z or the Undo button).

2. Use the Tolerance setting to adjust the amount of deviation from your selected color to allow for selecting - this usually defaults to 50%. Lower this to ~15% and it will likely solve your problem, unless you are using lines with colors very close to the fill color. This is a slider bar - select and slide the setting - it is not always visible, it does show up with the Paint Bucket selected.

Also, draw lines with antialiasing OFF, so you do not get gradients in your lines - gradients can be a problem when altering maps often, so best to stick with solid lines and fills and not try to be fancy just yet.

One more thing - another selection tool which comes up with the Paint Bucket is a selector (Flood Mode) to choose Global or Contiguous - to only change 1 contiguous area of fill, it should be obvious which to choose... versus globally affecting all areas of that same color.
practically massless elementary particle
UpQuark

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (986)
All-game rating: (898)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: PAINT.NET question

Postby glacier777 » 13 Jul 2013, 00:00

UpQuark wrote:2 important points to remember:

1. Undo exists in Paint.net, even multiple backwards iterations. Use the History window (Window>History or F6) to see a list of each task you have ordered, and watch as you undo them (Edit>Undo or Ctrl-Z or the Undo button).

2. Use the Tolerance setting to adjust the amount of deviation from your selected color to allow for selecting - this usually defaults to 50%. Lower this to ~15% and it will likely solve your problem, unless you are using lines with colors very close to the fill color. This is a slider bar - select and slide the setting - it is not always visible, it does show up with the Paint Bucket selected.

Also, draw lines with antialiasing OFF, so you do not get gradients in your lines - gradients can be a problem when altering maps often, so best to stick with solid lines and fills and not try to be fancy just yet.

One more thing - another selection tool which comes up with the Paint Bucket is a selector (Flood Mode) to choose Global or Contiguous - to only change 1 contiguous area of fill, it should be obvious which to choose... versus globally affecting all areas of that same color.

Thanks UpQuark!
1. I ALWAYS use the undo button, I don't know what I'd do without it!
2. This has perfectly solved the issue, thanks!
Back on PlayDip after a 3 year hiatus

Silver member of the Classicists
glacier777

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1264)
All-game rating: (1278)
Timezone: GMT+1

Return to Map-making