Altering maps in play (games like Seismic)

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

Altering maps in play (games like Seismic)

Postby Pedros » 08 Jul 2012, 12:53

I'm starting this thread because I suddenly realised, as Willie900 tackles his first game of Seismic as GM, that he would be facing all the problems I faced when I took over game 3. There are quite a number of games where the map changes more or less often - Deviant, Geophsyical and Deluge (although their changes are much smaller-scale) for a start. What seems like an interesting challenge can suddenly become a nightmare when you suddenly have to find a way of connecting, say, Piedmont to Denmark (without ruining the rest of the map!)

I'll add my own hints here from time to time. Peanut's ideas would be good, although I don't think he used layer-based software (neither did Ironside in Game 2); can't imagine how they managed, apart from starting from scratch again every time!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Simply moving boundaries

Postby Pedros » 08 Jul 2012, 17:05

OK, here goes!

Starting with the simplest, suppose there's a successful Seismic order saying "Connect Ankara to Sevastapol, separate Black Sea and Armenia" (Sorry but this isn't a tutorial on Seismic, so don't ask!) What you need to do is simply remove part of the boundary between Ankara and Black and insert a replacement joining Ankara to the Sevastapol boundary; then correct the colours. (Of course, you might want to do a bit more rearrangement to make it look better, but that's another story!)

You have (at least I reckoned I had!) three ways to remove the boundary - the eraser tool, try to select the line and delete it, or draw over it. I never found the eraser worked very well, and although the Magic Wand will (kind of) select the line once you've obliterated the ends of the part you want gone, that can produce mottled results. Best I found was to draw over it.

Firstly, you need to find out (and remember for the future) the width of the lines you've got. On my maps that's usually 2 pixels. Make the Brush tool a couple of pixels wider - 4 in this case - so it does a thorough job and doesn't leave you with a lot of odd spots to get rid of afterwards. Pick up one of the surrounding colours - yellow or sea-coloured in this case, and simply draw over the part of the line you want gone. Then draw in the new line (remembering to change back to 2 pixels!) and colour in the bits that need changing.

Finally don't forget to check that names, SC markers and units are still where they're supposed to be!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Re: Simply moving boundaries

Postby DOI » 11 Jul 2012, 06:54

Pedros wrote:Firstly, you need to find out (and remember for the future) the width of the lines you've got. On my maps that's usually 2 pixels. Make the Brush tool a couple of pixels wider - 4 in this case - so it does a thorough job and doesn't leave you with a lot of odd spots to get rid of afterwards. Pick up one of the surrounding colours - yellow or sea-coloured in this case, and simply draw over the part of the line you want gone. Then draw in the new line (remembering to change back to 2 pixels!) and colour in the bits that need changing.

Another option would be to completely erase your line and redraw that area of the board. Redrawing is a bit of work, but carefully tracing over your lines with an imperfect brush 2 pixels wider sounds worse. Redrawing an area seemed to work well for me when I was trying to work out the results of seismic moves that I couldn't imagine on my own.
"May the peace last for as long as it remains useful to us."
- Tokugawa, in Civilization IV
DOI

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Altering maps in play (games like Seismic)

Postby Pedros » 29 Jul 2012, 14:15

Well, try both. I started off doing that, and there are some changes for which it's still necessary, but I find the extra width brush easy and effective for the simpler things.
Pedros

Return to Map-making