Page 2 of 3

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 02:24
by musashisamurai
would Pacifica be? I can see us having two SC fleets in the Pacific, one in Denmark, another in Goa, and one/two in Chile or Argentina that is our only army. Thats 6 total as I see this map having lots of SCs, although this is just a guess.

other countries-Mattopia, 6 SCs, you willie with 5 (but more conecntrated you know) Aduron also 5 (two in ireland, two in central america, one in the east)

then lets see-NYE (4, close to ecah other, good mix), UMIA 5, and then others of course. Ninja Clan 6, Crimea 4, Anatolia 4, Haven three or four. Fianlly Panama with 4 and Amazonia with 4

neutral impassable Siberia-nomads, like the swiss
Mobius-also neutral territory, however is passable and can be taken. But units defend there with a strength of two

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 02:52
by Willie900
musashisamurai wrote:would Pacifica be? I can see us having two SC fleets in the Pacific, one in Denmark, another in Goa, and one/two in Chile or Argentina that is our only army. Thats 6 total as I see this map having lots of SCs, although this is just a guess.

other countries-Mattopia, 6 SCs, you willie with 5 (but more conecntrated you know) Aduron also 5 (two in ireland, two in central america, one in the east)

then lets see-NYE (4, close to ecah other, good mix), UMIA 5, and then others of course. Ninja Clan 6, Crimea 4, Anatolia 4, Haven three or four. Fianlly Panama with 4 and Amazonia with 4

neutral impassable Siberia-nomads, like the swiss
Mobius-also neutral territory, however is passable and can be taken. But units defend there with a strength of two


therein lies the problem.

as I make the map, I have two choices:

1) make the map as "pure" as possible--basically I make every largeish nation have exactly what is shown, hang balance issues or,
2) use more freedom, such as eliminating colonies or some larger nations to make the game more balanced.

obviously your suggestion follows the first category; Pacifica would be hopelessly surrounded, because any nation on either side of the "Mobius Wall" must pass through you to attack the other side of the wall. and some nations would have great expansion opportunities whilst others are very restricted.

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 02:54
by Malevolence
im gonna make an FCYOC version- albeit only what i see as the "major powers" currently, and others as NPCs with standing armies (basically a crowded game)

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 02:55
by musashisamurai
Willie900 wrote:
musashisamurai wrote:would Pacifica be? I can see us having two SC fleets in the Pacific, one in Denmark, another in Goa, and one/two in Chile or Argentina that is our only army. Thats 6 total as I see this map having lots of SCs, although this is just a guess.

other countries-Mattopia, 6 SCs, you willie with 5 (but more conecntrated you know) Aduron also 5 (two in ireland, two in central america, one in the east)

then lets see-NYE (4, close to ecah other, good mix), UMIA 5, and then others of course. Ninja Clan 6, Crimea 4, Anatolia 4, Haven three or four. Fianlly Panama with 4 and Amazonia with 4

neutral impassable Siberia-nomads, like the swiss
Mobius-also neutral territory, however is passable and can be taken. But units defend there with a strength of two


therein lies the problem.

as I make the map, I have two choices:

1) make the map as "pure" as possible--basically I make every largeish nation have exactly what is shown, hang balance issues or,
2) use more freedom, such as eliminating colonies or some larger nations to make the game more balanced.

obviously your suggestion follows the first category; Pacifica would be hopelessly surrounded, because any nation on either side of the "Mobius Wall" must pass through you to attack the other side of the wall. and some nations would have great expansion opportunities whilst others are very restricted.


thats why I mentioned like the size of countries based on the area. Like you have less only because, while you are as sttrong as mat or I, you are in one area and can expand in any number of directions.

Foir me, it could be made fair if Argentina or Petoria are neutrals, then I can expand there, as well as sweep the Pacific II think I could have the most fleets there)

Oh and finally-make Sybus like the Mad Italian, everyone votes for his moves ecah turn (everyone gives in orders for them, the most commin orders are used) and Altania be likewise to represent their companies. That would be about 6 more units on the map.

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 02:56
by musashisamurai
Malevolence wrote:im gonna make an FCYOC version- albeit only what i see as the "major powers" currently, and others as NPCs with standing armies (basically a crowded game)


I wonder who teh major powers are? Would the YOMC btw include the Dragonsworn?

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 02:57
by Malevolence
having YOMC would be too poweful, but i can say that that triumvirate will all be playable

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 03:00
by Malevolence
i think you forget grimline, hes kind of passive but very strong if he ever needed to be

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 03:01
by Willie900
decided that trying to make it balanced is really hard--so I'm just going to go with what's on the map, and not worry about balance--but be warned that it won't be balanced when play time comes.

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 03:02
by Malevolence
Willie900 wrote:decided that trying to make it balanced is really hard--so I'm just going to go with what's on the map, and not worry about balance--but be warned that it won't be balanced when play time comes.


i might be able/wiling to help with balance issues willie.

having anybody who walks over the map isnt fun for the players or the GM.

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2012, 03:04
by mat.gopack
Malevolence wrote:
Willie900 wrote:decided that trying to make it balanced is really hard--so I'm just going to go with what's on the map, and not worry about balance--but be warned that it won't be balanced when play time comes.


i might be able/wiling to help with balance issues willie.

having anybody who walks over the map isnt fun for the players or the GM.

if it's mattopia that does so, it's ok :D