Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby Willie900 » 11 Jan 2012, 00:07

I was hoping to create a variant map based off of the current CYOC map, and I would like some tips on how to make a good-looking, balanced map.

The map would contain an above-average number of players, and be a world-wide map. (the map in the CYOC forum gives a good idea about the size of current nations in the game, though smaller nations will likely become neutrals, whilst larger, older nations (such as the big green thing in the map) will be either special neutral or impassable)
Wow my signature used to be awful
User avatar
Willie900
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 02:30
Location: the Chocolate Factory
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby APearson » 11 Jan 2012, 00:13

You might find this article useful:
http://www.variantbank.org/articles/designing_maps.htm

I seem to also recall an article somewhere about how Heptarchy was designed, which may also be of use.

I hope this helps!
APearson
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 04 Jun 2011, 21:12
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (948)
All-game rating: (949)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby Willie900 » 11 Jan 2012, 00:21

loserforsale wrote:You might find this article useful:
http://www.variantbank.org/articles/designing_maps.htm

I seem to also recall an article somewhere about how Heptarchy was designed, which may also be of use.

I hope this helps!


Thanks!

I read the article, and it will definitely help in my designing of the map.
Wow my signature used to be awful
User avatar
Willie900
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 02:30
Location: the Chocolate Factory
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby asudevil » 11 Jan 2012, 00:30

http://isabout.wordpress.com/2007/12/12 ... nt-design/

That site is about the triangle concept of diplomacy and how to resolve spheres of influence.

Its the concept that Calahammer used to make the game.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
User avatar
asudevil
Premium Member
 
Posts: 16573
Joined: 18 Jul 2011, 02:20
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby rayezilla » 11 Jan 2012, 00:30

you want a Europe-only map, or like a Risk-diplomacy variant?
rayezilla
 
Posts: 518
Joined: 28 Nov 2011, 19:00
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1317)
All-game rating: (1321)
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby Willie900 » 11 Jan 2012, 00:41

rayezilla wrote:you want a Europe-only map, or like a Risk-diplomacy variant?

basically, a variant based off of the CYOC map--basically a world game with countries in their respective CYOC places on the map.
Wow my signature used to be awful
User avatar
Willie900
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 02:30
Location: the Chocolate Factory
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby Malevolence » 11 Jan 2012, 00:55

hm...im really not sure if it would work with diplomacy willie- you realize how many people play cyoc? haha

even fcyoc which ahs less would be crazy (although now youve got me thinking about making one just for that, expect it soon)
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
User avatar
Malevolence
 
Posts: 7582
Joined: 20 May 2011, 22:01
Location: Washington, DC
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1094)
All-game rating: (1071)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby Willie900 » 11 Jan 2012, 01:02

Malevolence wrote:hm...im really not sure if it would work with diplomacy willie- you realize how many people play cyoc? haha

even fcyoc which ahs less would be crazy (although now youve got me thinking about making one just for that, expect it soon)

I'm going to eliminate small/horribly unbalanced countries--e.g. Mobius (huge) or PBCS (tiny)
Wow my signature used to be awful
User avatar
Willie900
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 02:30
Location: the Chocolate Factory
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby Morg » 11 Jan 2012, 01:49

Would TRR be in it? If so I might be down with playing when you launch it.

A lot of the work in creating maps is getting the hang of layering in Paint.NET or GIMP, since you're already GMing Baltic I assume you're already familiar with it though.

I typically use 3 layers:
Place Names
Units
Actual Physical Land

I've heard of people adding a fourth layer for Retreats.

Is there anything specific your concerned about or do you just have general questions for now? Either way I'll be glad to help.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
User avatar
Morg
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: 25 Feb 2011, 22:50
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Map Making for the Newbie Cartographer

Postby Willie900 » 11 Jan 2012, 02:19

Morg wrote:Would TRR be in it? If so I might be down with playing when you launch it.

A lot of the work in creating maps is getting the hang of layering in Paint.NET or GIMP, since you're already GMing Baltic I assume you're already familiar with it though.

I typically use 3 layers:
Place Names
Units
Actual Physical Land

I've heard of people adding a fourth layer for Retreats.

Is there anything specific your concerned about or do you just have general questions for now? Either way I'll be glad to help.


I'm familiar with Paint.net; actually drawing the map won't be a problem--balancing the game and will be.

I'm not sure if TRR will be in it--again balance dictates whether a nation gets in or not. I haven't made the decision yet.
Wow my signature used to be awful
User avatar
Willie900
 
Posts: 4148
Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 02:30
Location: the Chocolate Factory
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-5

Next

Return to Map-making

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest