Map

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

Re: Map

Postby Malevolence » 16 Oct 2011, 05:02

Morg wrote:

You can always build a map that's much too large and then resize it back down. This works a lot better than resizing up.

exactly- thanks for bringing that up.

if you go bigger everything will blur, but smaller makes it more precise actually.
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1094)
All-game rating: (1071)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Morg » 21 Oct 2011, 11:35

This probably isn't too important by this point, but as another tip, I find that using three layers in Paint.NET is optimal.

The background layer has all of the important shapes, colors and outlines of the territories. The top layer has the place names and the middle layer has the units themselves. This allows you to shade an entire territory the correct color without getting into trouble with the place names, allows you to move units each phase by simply selecting and moving and makes sure that you place names are never covered up.

You will need to merge layers down when you're finished and save as a jpg or other similar file, but it makes actual game play and map creation so much easier.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Pedros » 11 Mar 2012, 13:27

At least four for me Morg - you need a separate layer for retreating units. Otherwise it's a pain trying to separate the invader from the retreater when it comes to the retreat phase. Not a problem in a big space, but in small ones.... (And anyway, I like to put the conquering unit half on top of the defeated one - so the retreat layer goes below the main unit one.

I also have an invisible layer right at the bottom where I keep a full set of units for when I need a new Italian army (say) and the old ones have all been wiped out. I also put a text box there reminding me which font I'm using and what size - I can never find the right one when I search later (although now I've settled on Britannic Bold for pretty well everything, so that's less necessary.)

And sometimes you'll get complicated games that need more - I was using about 9 in London Nights, with hidden SCs and semi-invisible units.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby cheesers52 » 11 Mar 2012, 23:06

I just make each unit a separate layer, is that weird? Takes a while to find the layer I'm looking for, but it's a lot easier in my opinion!

Which layer do you put the SC start/shapes on?
cheesers52

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 12 Mar 2012, 04:27

cheesers52 wrote:I just make each unit a separate layer, is that weird? Takes a while to find the layer I'm looking for, but it's a lot easier in my opinion!

Which layer do you put the SC start/shapes on?

SC's and background on bottom...

Then names...

Then retreats....

Then units...

And below the background...some people (like Pedros) put all the starting units on a bottom layer in case you ever need a unit for anything.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Previous

Return to Map-making