how to upload images?

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

how to upload images?

Postby Willie900 » 06 Jul 2011, 17:05

the title says it all. how do I upload images? obviously, I ask because I am going to GM a forum game, but I don't know how to put the map up!

P.S. I wasn't sure where to put this, but here seemed right.
Wow my signature used to be awful
Willie900

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: how to upload images?

Postby Peanut » 06 Jul 2011, 17:13

When I ran a Forum game I signed up to a site called 'photobucket', it was free, and once you loaded pictures on to this site (any sort of picture, it doesn't have to be a photo) it would give you a url code that you could paste into a forum message (using the 'Img' button) and the image would appear.

I understand that there are a few of these image hosting sites, but this one worked ok for me.
Good luck
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)
Timezone: GMT

Postby mr bump » 06 Jul 2011, 17:37

When I have posted a message which included a map I have simply dragged and dropped the file into the main body of the text at the appropiate point and it has been dealt with as an attachment.
mr bump

Veni, vidi, percussit.
mr bump

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (970)
All-game rating: (873)

Postby TheCraw » 06 Jul 2011, 17:38

Willie900 wrote:the title says it all. how do I upload images? obviously, I ask because I am going to GM a forum game, but I don't know how to put the map up!

There are two main ways to do so, and I have my personal favorite.

The "Bad Way"™ Image is to us the Options/Upload Attachment tab below any new message you are composing. That will allow you to "browse" your home computer for the image you want, and then add it as an attachment.
The BAD thing about that is it is very limited in size, so people end up having to use up/down and side-to-side scroll bars the website offers so they can try and see the different parts of a large map.

The "Good Way"™ Imageis to use an image-hosting website such as Imageshack or photobucket or picoodle etc... You load the Map image there, and post the URL here using the Img button above the new message window. (like I did when I added the happy little rainbow just now) The image is the right size, and is shown in it's entirety. (and doesn't take up any storage space on the PlayDipomacy.com servers)
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000

Postby RedelMondo » 06 Jul 2011, 17:42

TheCraw wrote:The "Bad Way"™ Image is to us the Options/Upload Attachment tab below any new message you are composing. That will allow you to "browse" your home computer for the image you want, and then add it as an attachment.
The BAD thing about that is it is very limited in size, so people end up having to use up/down and side-to-side scroll bars the website offers so they can try and see the different parts of a large map.

The "Good Way"™ Imageis to use an image-hosting website such as Imageshack or imagehosting or picoodle etc... You load the Map image there, and post the URL here using the Img button above the new message window. (like I did when I added the happy little rainbow just now) The image is the right size, and is shown in it's entirety. (and doesn't take up any storage space on the PlayDipomacy.com servers)

Can I just note that for some, certain image hosting websites are blocked on our work computer (no idea why...). So be sure to check with all players that they can actually see it if you go that route.
GM of Greed 2: The Greedier. Come and join us!
RedelMondo

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Willie900 » 06 Jul 2011, 17:47

TheCraw wrote:
Willie900 wrote:the title says it all. how do I upload images? obviously, I ask because I am going to GM a forum game, but I don't know how to put the map up!

There are two main ways to do so, and I have my personal favorite.

The "Bad Way"™ Image is to us the Options/Upload Attachment tab below any new message you are composing. That will allow you to "browse" your home computer for the image you want, and then add it as an attachment.

The "Good Way"™ Imageis to use an image-hosting website such as Imageshack or imagehosting or picoodle etc... You load the Map image there, and post the URL here using the Img button above the new message window. (like I did when I added the happy little rainbow just now) The image is the right size, and is shown in it's entirety. (and doesn't take up any storage space on the PlayDipomacy.com servers)

thank you. I have just done it, and I did it the good way :D
Wow my signature used to be awful
Willie900

Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)

Postby Pedros » 10 Jul 2011, 19:27

TheCraw wrote:The "Good Way"™ Imageis to use an image-hosting website such as Imageshack or photobucket or picoodle etc... You load the Map image there, and post the URL here using the Img button above the new message window. (like I did when I added the happy little rainbow just now) The image is the right size, and is shown in it's entirety. (and doesn't take up any storage space on the PlayDipomacy.com servers)

You live and learn! Thanks Craw
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Return to Map-making