Creating a map.

Several topics concerned with making and using maps as a GM

Moderator: Morg

Creating a map.

Postby ninjaruler » 29 Jun 2011, 18:36

Hi! I am trying to create a varient map for the game "complete mapped diplomacy" the map is all ready made but I need a black and white version of it so during the game I can easily change the colors. with my inexperience I need either someone to show me how(youtube maybe) or to just send me the map in black and white. will someone please help.

and if this is in the wrong spot I am sorry. and I am using GIMP for this, just saying
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (958)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Creating a map.

Postby slayer666 » 29 Jun 2011, 18:48

Here's a blank map that I made from the standard map which I borrowed from the playdip site in hopes of starting up my Anti-Chaos variant at some point in the future. Hopefully you (and anyone else) can view and download this as necessary. Let me know if this link doesn't allow you to.

http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/ad54 ... t=map1.png

You should be able to use paint or any similar drawing program (I dont use GIMP myself, so I'm not sure about that) to fill the territories with whatever colors you wish.
Gold member of The Classicists
Winner of Imperial IV, 1870, Colonial
and War In The Americas 2.
slayer666

Standard rating: (1061)
All-game rating: (1759)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby ninjaruler » 29 Jun 2011, 18:56

thanks but the map isn't the normal diplomacy map, I need it for the map on page 3 of this forum viewtopic.php?f=253&t=20923&start=10
¸„‹•*¸„‹•*„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*;;;:::::.....Ninja.....:::::;;;*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•›„¸„*•›„¸*•›„¸
..............*•›„¸*•›„¸„¸„‹•*•*•Mafia/Diplomacy/CYOC‹•*•*•›„¸„¸„‹•*¸„‹•*...............
ninjaruler

Postby slayer666 » 29 Jun 2011, 19:10

Ah, sorry, didn't realize you were using a different map. The only suggestion I can offer (and it's a limited one), is to use a drawing program to remove the territory names from the map and then fill each of the territories whatever neutral color you want. Then, with a program that utilizes layers (from what I can tell, GIMP does this), make a new layer on top of your map layer to add territory names. After this, you should be able to use your drawing program to change the colors of the territories as necessary, pasting each new version of the map over the old one while being able to keep your text (and eventually your units, if you're GM-ing) on a separate layer.

Sorry if this is too basic of an explanation or is already obvious to you. If you cant get it to work, let me know and I can probably do it for you later this evening when I'm back home. Good luck!
slayer666

Postby ninjaruler » 29 Jun 2011, 19:11

well I won't be the GM but if the game gets going I believe that I will be making the map changes, masuashia samuri (SP) will be the GM and what kind of drawing program?
ninjaruler

Postby slayer666 » 29 Jun 2011, 19:34

I use Paintbrush (for Mac), but I assume that the program Paint that comes with PCs would work just fine. Send me a PM if you cant get it to work (or if no one can explain it better to you), and I can mess around with the map this evening.
slayer666

Postby ninjaruler » 29 Jun 2011, 19:35

slayer666 wrote:I use Paintbrush (for Mac), but I assume that the program Paint that comes with PCs would work just fine. Send me a PM if you cant get it to work (or if no one can explain it better to you), and I can mess around with the map this evening.

well I have a mac so i guess I will use paintbrush
ninjaruler

Postby Pedros » 04 Jul 2011, 22:34

Hi ninjaruler. What most of us use is eithrer paint.net (for PCs) or GIMP (for Macs), and there are threads for both in this START HERE Forum. I'm PC so paint.net, and I dont' know about GIMP, but it was a fairly short learning cujrve - and any queries glad to help.

The basic thing is, do you have a version of the map to start with (any colours etc), because if so it's reasonably straightforward to eliminate units, colours, etc although possibly a bit tedious.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby ninjaruler » 04 Jul 2011, 22:40

Pedros wrote:Hi ninjaruler. What most of us use is eithrer paint.net (for PCs) or GIMP (for Macs), and there are threads for both in this START HERE Forum. I'm PC so paint.net, and I dont' know about GIMP, but it was a fairly short learning cujrve - and any queries glad to help.

The basic thing is, do you have a version of the map to start with (any colours etc), because if so it's reasonably straightforward to eliminate units, colours, etc although possibly a bit tedious.

Actually I'm nit doing it anymore, thanks though... Masuashisamari is doing it
ninjaruler

Postby Palin » 05 Jul 2011, 01:29

Pedros wrote:Hi ninjaruler. What most of us use is eithrer paint.net (for PCs) or GIMP (for Macs), and there are threads for both in this START HERE Forum. I'm PC so paint.net, and I dont' know about GIMP, but it was a fairly short learning cujrve - and any queries glad to help.

Well, I'm PC using GIMP! Talk about a split personality! :geek:
Sooner or later the man who wears two faces forgets which one is real... and thus a stabbing occurs!

Gold member of the Classicists
Palin

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (886)
All-game rating: (800)
Timezone: GMT+2

Next

Return to Map-making