GRAND TOURNAMENT - Trash Talk

4-qualifying rounds and a Final Board. TD: rick.leeds

Re: GRAND TOURNAMENT - Trash Talk

Postby Dukevongoblin » 17 Dec 2013, 12:35

If it were to get going again how many more games would need to be played to get to a final board?
Platinum Classicist: Does that make me obsessive?
Dukevongoblin

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1196)
All-game rating: (1158)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Fatmo » 17 Dec 2013, 20:35

One.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby gsmx » 17 Dec 2013, 21:37

I'd likely return if this got started again. Is there nobody else that can facilitate it?
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Standard rating: 2097
All-game rating: 2475

Postby Fatmo » 18 Dec 2013, 20:19

I might play this out if it's being played out, but I'd still need to think it over.

Anyway, I suppose that, in theory, anyone not in the tournament who has a bit of spare time could organize these games. Was there any special system Rick used for assigning players to games that wasn't laid out in those long posts for how the tournament worked and was organized? We have guys like Presser who can run the scores, so I'd think this could be jerry-rigged if we really wanted to.

The biggest problem I could see would be that there is surely a huge chunk of players who, after all these months, have either dropped off the site or are not interested in continuing the tournament. I suppose that finding replacements shouldn't be too hard, since the way this has worked out it would only require playing one game unless you make the final board. Not too much of a commitment.

The results may not mean as much to some players, considering how many replacements there are, but I don't see why we can't sort of take this on ourselves to organize if that's something people seem interested in trying.
When you owe nine dollars to your bank, you have a little problem. When you owe 90,000 dollars to your bank, your bank has a big problem.
Fatmo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1089)
All-game rating: (1050)

Postby presser84 » 18 Dec 2013, 21:45

Fatmo wrote:I might play this out if it's being played out, but I'd still need to think it over.

Anyway, I suppose that, in theory, anyone not in the tournament who has a bit of spare time could organize these games. Was there any special system Rick used for assigning players to games that wasn't laid out in those long posts for how the tournament worked and was organized? We have guys like Presser who can run the scores, so I'd think this could be jerry-rigged if we really wanted to.

The biggest problem I could see would be that there is surely a huge chunk of players who, after all these months, have either dropped off the site or are not interested in continuing the tournament. I suppose that finding replacements shouldn't be too hard, since the way this has worked out it would only require playing one game unless you make the final board. Not too much of a commitment.

The results may not mean as much to some players, considering how many replacements there are, but I don't see why we can't sort of take this on ourselves to organize if that's something people seem interested in trying.

games are anon, so whoever organizes them can't be playing. There is a system too- you can't play the same person more than twice in a game as well. Also you can't repeat a power, and I think rick tried to make it so that you play an "even" number of eastern and western powers (so to speak). It's possible but you really need rick's matrix to make it easy.

That assumes that everyone comes back. I'm willing to bet a minimum of 40% of the players will not come back, especially those who have done poorly and are eliminated. Finding replacements, to just play one game will be a lot harder than you think.

I'd say it's gone at this point. :/
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby HonestAbe » 23 Dec 2013, 07:21

Does anyone know the standings up to the end of the last round?

One resolution would be just to play a pseudo-final board featuring the top 7 players who still want to give the tournament a conclusion. (If anyone in the top 7 is not up for it, then players in 8th, 9th, etc., would be offered a seat.)

If you tell me who the final 7 are, I could set up the game ... and to make things easy, it'll be one where the players get three preferences for their country choices.

It'll not be an official conclusion, of course, but it'll be an unofficial one at least.

Right now, I don't think it's worth getting replacements and all ... that's just too complicated.
HonestAbe

Standard rating: 1422
All-game rating: 1599
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby presser84 » 23 Dec 2013, 07:31

I have the scores but that idea is not fair to the top 8 through 12 or so players. The way the tournament is structured with a decent showing in round 4 they could easily make the top 7....and I cant play in any comm games for the next 4 months minimum. Kind cant have a final table without the top player ;)
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby sinnybee » 06 Mar 2014, 07:28

Hello all you tournament lovers, you :).

Is everyone here aware of the following?

The Versailles Tournament sign-ups will be closing shortly. We have 70 sign-ups and 61 officially accepted onto the roster; sign up before you miss your chance--just 2 spots left!

More players than any other tournament in the over 6 year history of playdiplomacy.com!
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby gsmx » 06 Mar 2014, 09:21

Where's the spam button?

;)
The first quality that is needed is audacity.
gsmx

Standard rating: 2097
All-game rating: 2475

Previous

Return to Grand Tournament 2