Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby Aeschines » 18 Feb 2019, 16:33

Hello all! My creative juices have started flowing again and I'm considering designing a new game but wanted y'all's input on which direction to go. Currently, I'm sitting on two big ideas:

1) Post-apocalyptic plague-infested North America with the West Coast survivors working to reclaim their homeland. This would be a 5-player exploration variant, similar (but different from) Pandemic Diplomacy (PM me if you want access to the Space Station in Pandemic where you can see the map and everything that's happened), Spice Islands Diplomacy, and Great Expeditions Diplomacy.

OR

2) A fresh take on Medieval Diplomacy, focusing on the Papacy, the trading cities of Northern Italy, the Holy Roman Empire and the Kingdoms of France, England, and Spain. This would be an all-rules available variant (i.e. no discovery mechanics) but would have a fair number of complicators compared to vanilla (elections to the Papacy and HRE, kings & vassals, etc). This game would be large, probably closer to 10 players.

Post below and let me know what you think about my next project!

Warmly,
Aeschines
Platinum Member of the Classicists
User avatar
Aeschines
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: 20 Apr 2009, 23:51
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1607
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby Zoomzip » 18 Feb 2019, 16:49

I was kinda hoping this would be one game with time-travel hijinx. A post apocolyptic america takes on medieval europe.
Kittens and rainbows. Forever. Wear your makeup like a man.

One of the moderators of the Mafia Form.
User avatar
Zoomzip
Premium Member
 
Posts: 6371
Joined: 11 Nov 2011, 05:29
Location: NoVa and The District
Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (921)
All-game rating: (919)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby Groo » 18 Feb 2019, 17:10

Oh, I really enjoy the current exploration game and I'm always up for more, more, more.

I think it would be cool to incentivize co-op even more in the next one (somehow?!)
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
User avatar
Groo
Premium Member
 
Posts: 204
Joined: 14 Nov 2016, 18:13
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1621
All-game rating: 1786
Timezone: GMT

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby StarkAdder » 18 Feb 2019, 17:37

Both options sound great to me, Aeschines. The plague-infested idea would work for any continent, I imagine. It also makes me wonder if anyone has ever done a Hunger Games variant, with 13 districts (or maybe the 7 biggest) competing for resources in a North America after or before the collapse of President Snow's dictatorship?

Medieval Europe is rich with possibilities. I like the one you outlined. Another variant I have not yet seen (though maybe I haven't looked hard enough) would be Europe just AFTER the Fall of the Roman Empire, with different barbarian tribes competing for territory across the continent. Sort of an Ancient Med game played on a standard Diplomacy map. Has it ever been done?

StarkAdder
User avatar
StarkAdder
 
Posts: 182
Joined: 26 Feb 2014, 12:53
Location: USA (Washington, DC)
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1193
All-game rating: 1070
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby condude1 » 18 Feb 2019, 17:50

StarkAdder wrote:Both options sound great to me, Aeschines. The plague-infested idea would work for any continent, I imagine. It also makes me wonder if anyone has ever done a Hunger Games variant, with 13 districts (or maybe the 7 biggest) competing for resources in a North America after or before the collapse of President Snow's dictatorship?


24 players, one big arena. Destroyed units cannot be rebuilt. Arena gets smaller after 10 years. Someone please make this game!!! :D
Telleo wrote:I don't think I've ever met someone who more perfectly embodied Chaotic Neutral than Condude1.


Moderator of the Mafia Subforums!

Silver member of The Classicists!
User avatar
condude1
 
Posts: 6990
Joined: 06 Feb 2013, 03:41
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1368)
All-game rating: (1307)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby Groo » 24 Feb 2019, 02:14

condude1 wrote:
StarkAdder wrote:Both options sound great to me, Aeschines. The plague-infested idea would work for any continent, I imagine. It also makes me wonder if anyone has ever done a Hunger Games variant, with 13 districts (or maybe the 7 biggest) competing for resources in a North America after or before the collapse of President Snow's dictatorship?


24 players, one big arena. Destroyed units cannot be rebuilt. Arena gets smaller after 10 years. Someone please make this game!!! :D


I had a similar Idea for a board game placed on the sinking Atlantis. Never tried to develop it as a diplomacy variant, though it might be cool.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."

Cornubia in Heptarchy 14 - 3WD
Front Range in Emergence - 3WD
Holland in Colonial 7 - 3WD
House Baratheon in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire - Mad King SOLO
Mexico in WiTA 7 - stabbed to death
Thebes in Greek City States IV
User avatar
Groo
Premium Member
 
Posts: 204
Joined: 14 Nov 2016, 18:13
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1621
All-game rating: 1786
Timezone: GMT

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby David E. Cohen » 24 Feb 2019, 03:01

Aeschines, you may want to check out Baron Powell's College of Cardinals variant, if you are not aware of it already.
Play every game of Diplomacy as if it will be the last game of Diplomacy you will ever play.
User avatar
David E. Cohen
 
Posts: 437
Joined: 28 Jan 2008, 11:30
Location: Treading the Path to Diplo-Shambhala
Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby Aeschines » 25 Feb 2019, 18:35

David E. Cohen wrote:Aeschines, you may want to check out Baron Powell's College of Cardinals variant, if you are not aware of it already.


It looks great! I was definitely thinking of something more toned-down than that, though. I prefer to keep my variants less complex than Greek City States (with the exception of discovery games).
Platinum Member of the Classicists
User avatar
Aeschines
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: 20 Apr 2009, 23:51
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1607
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 25 Feb 2019, 22:41

Zoomzip wrote:I was kinda hoping this would be one game with time-travel hijinx. A post apocolyptic america takes on medieval europe.


I agree with this notion.

I will say that I like your exploration variants, Aeschines, but it would be nice to see something with more replay value. Exploration variants are more-or-less one-time experiences.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
User avatar
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: 17 Aug 2011, 00:17
Location: North Carolina
Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1487
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Post-Apocalyptic America v. Medieval Europe

Postby Aeschines » 25 Feb 2019, 22:55

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
Zoomzip wrote:I was kinda hoping this would be one game with time-travel hijinx. A post apocolyptic america takes on medieval europe.


I agree with this notion.

I will say that I like your exploration variants, Aeschines, but it would be nice to see something with more replay value. Exploration variants are more-or-less one-time experiences.


The jury has spoken! Let's see what I can come up with in my noggin.
Platinum Member of the Classicists
User avatar
Aeschines
Premium Member
 
Posts: 2345
Joined: 20 Apr 2009, 23:51
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1424
All-game rating: 1607
Timezone: GMT-5


Return to PbF Variant Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest