New Variant: Modern Mechanics

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Re: New Variant: Modern Mechanics

Postby pjkon » 02 May 2019, 17:00

If anyone is here and looking to sign up, or view who else is playing, the recruitment thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=253&t=59372&p=975010#p975010
It is better to have scs then allies, assuming something aproaching equal combat power in each

Your credibility with eliminated powers is irrelavant

Keep your allies happy enough that they stay allies

If you are receiving a message from me ignore this signature
pjkon

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Iamnobody » 02 May 2019, 22:50

I love the variant. I think you did a great job of thinking through the advantages and advantages of the new units. Can a wing be ordered to hold?

I question it because planes cannot stop in the sky or else they would crash. Them not being able to hold would bring a different complexity to their use.

Perhaps the idea is crazy or daft. I'm not sure either way, but it was the first thought I had.
Heptarchy XVI - Wales - 6-way draw
Days of Enlightenment II - Sweden - Currently playing
Iamnobody

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1035
All-game rating: 1036
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby pjkon » 03 May 2019, 17:57

Iamnobody wrote:I love the variant. I think you did a great job of thinking through the advantages and advantages of the new units. Can a wing be ordered to hold?

I question it because planes cannot stop in the sky or else they would crash. Them not being able to hold would bring a different complexity to their use.

Perhaps the idea is crazy or daft. I'm not sure either way, but it was the first thought I had.

Glad to hear you like it. Would you like to play? We only need one more person and we can start.

With respect to wings, that would certainly be an interesting idea to have them not be able to hold, but if they could stand still to bomb or to support other units then having that ability suddenly turn off if they weren't doing it would be odd. As a matter of realism having a wing in an air territory probably represents a few airplanes flying around in circles over the provinces which are pretty big compared to an airplanes' turning circle looking for enemies on a rotating basis while most of the wing is really back at base, ready to take off should the need arise, so holding wouldn't really be the planes stopping in mid air. I like your outside-the-box thinking though.
It is better to have scs then allies, assuming something aproaching equal combat power in each

Your credibility with eliminated powers is irrelavant

Keep your allies happy enough that they stay allies

If you are receiving a message from me ignore this signature
pjkon

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Iamnobody » 04 May 2019, 05:33

Right now I can't play. I'm already involved in a few games and I don't want to spread myself too thin.
Heptarchy XVI - Wales - 6-way draw
Days of Enlightenment II - Sweden - Currently playing
Iamnobody

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1035
All-game rating: 1036
Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to PbF Variant Development