New Variant: Emergence (USA)

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Re: New Variant: Emergence (USA)

Postby joe92 » 07 Feb 2018, 21:11

EpicDim wrote:I'd recommend you allow fleet/army changes when capturing a stronghold. It's a pretty significant hardship for the landlocked nations to get fleets by capturing, then not only moving out but capturing another SC in order to build there, but the ability to immediately have a fleet when capturing makes it a bit easier. It also allows seafaring nations to move inland more quickly.

Yeah, that's a good idea (and actually something I had in mind for a different variant I'm creating that's on the backburner :) ). Looking more closely at the territory types, there are 18 sea territories and 128 land territories, of which realistically 5 need fleets to get to/conquer. Let's call it 23:123, almost 7 times as many land territories. I don't think there's going to be a rush to build fleets. But, adding such a unit swap aspect wouldn't really change the dynamics of the game in that case. It's one to mull over... (if anyone else has any input on this idea I'd love to hear it)

NoPunIn10Did wrote:Are you able to build in your starting SCs even if they're not Strongholds?

Yes. You can build in any of your starting SC's + any Stronghold you capture. Every power starts with 1 Stronghold.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1746
Timezone: GMT

Postby Sour Flour » 07 Feb 2018, 21:53

Haven't done a forum game before but just wanted to add my voice to the interested if this gets going and there is room. Looks like a fun map.
Sour Flour

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 923
All-game rating: 1325
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby EnlightenedMonarch » 07 Feb 2018, 22:52

joe92 wrote:
EnlightenedMonarch wrote:Looks good and quite the backstory! I'm interested.

Thanks! I had a map but no reason why the US would go to war with itself, and thus a dystopian future was born. Good to see you around again.

Thanks. Unfortunately I had to leave kinda abruptly a year or so ago but I'm looking to get more involved in the site again. Good to see you and glad that you've come up with another enormous variant!

joe92 wrote:
EpicDim wrote:I'd recommend you allow fleet/army changes when capturing a stronghold. It's a pretty significant hardship for the landlocked nations to get fleets by capturing, then not only moving out but capturing another SC in order to build there, but the ability to immediately have a fleet when capturing makes it a bit easier. It also allows seafaring nations to move inland more quickly.

Yeah, that's a good idea (and actually something I had in mind for a different variant I'm creating that's on the backburner :) ). Looking more closely at the territory types, there are 18 sea territories and 128 land territories, of which realistically 5 need fleets to get to/conquer. Let's call it 23:123, almost 7 times as many land territories. I don't think there's going to be a rush to build fleets. But, adding such a unit swap aspect wouldn't really change the dynamics of the game in that case. It's one to mull over... (if anyone else has any input on this idea I'd love to hear it)

This seems like a good idea to me: that the first winter after capturing a coastal stronghold a switch would be allowed for the capturing unit. I assume that this would only be a one time thing, or would it allow fleet/army changes every winter for units in a stronghold?
"Nothing reduces unemployment like a good war."
Gold Classicist
Imperial Leader of Japan in Colonial 7
Past Campaigns: Norway (CDRBH), Ranier (Emerald City 3), Italy (ModEx 1), Ethiopia (Africa 4)
EnlightenedMonarch

Standard rating: (1393)
All-game rating: (1419)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby EpicDim » 07 Feb 2018, 23:00

EnlightenedMonarch wrote:This seems like a good idea to me: that the first winter after capturing a coastal stronghold a switch would be allowed for the capturing unit. I assume that this would only be a one time thing, or would it allow fleet/army changes every winter for units in a stronghold?

My original thought was every winter, but then I decided it would be just add to the advantage of the coastal starting powers. Instead of fixing the problem. :) So I suggested a one-time only.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)

Postby asudevil » 07 Feb 2018, 23:15

I'd say one time only...when you capture it
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby joe92 » 08 Feb 2018, 12:15

Sour Flour wrote:Haven't done a forum game before but just wanted to add my voice to the interested if this gets going and there is room. Looks like a fun map.

Sour Flour, I appreciate the enthusiasm and love to see a new face looking to join forum games! However, having looked at your record I'm afraid I wouldn't accept you into the game. You have surrendered every ranked game you've played and over 80% of the unranked games you've played. You've only seen 3 out of 21 games through to the end. Quitting a game ruins it for the rest of the surviving powers, even if you only had a couple of units remaining, and I cannot let you join a forum game knowing there's a high risk you'd do that. To enter a forum game of mine you will need to pull your stats around and prove a commitment to good quality games. Becoming an Ambassador class player and signing up to the classicists would be a good place to start.

EnlightenedMonarch wrote:This seems like a good idea to me: that the first winter after capturing a coastal stronghold a switch would be allowed for the capturing unit. I assume that this would only be a one time thing, or would it allow fleet/army changes every winter for units in a stronghold?

EpicDim wrote:My original thought was every winter, but then I decided it would be just add to the advantage of the coastal starting powers. Instead of fixing the problem. :) So I suggested a one-time only.

asudevil wrote:I'd say one time only...when you capture it

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm in agreement and have amended the rules to allow for a unit conversion on the first winter of capturing a coastal Stronghold.

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Postby Sour Flour » 08 Feb 2018, 15:55

joe92 wrote:Sour Flour, I appreciate the enthusiasm and love to see a new face looking to join forum games! However, having looked at your record I'm afraid I wouldn't accept you into the game. You have surrendered every ranked game you've played and over 80% of the unranked games you've played. You've only seen 3 out of 21 games through to the end. Quitting a game ruins it for the rest of the surviving powers, even if you only had a couple of units remaining, and I cannot let you join a forum game knowing there's a high risk you'd do that. To enter a forum game of mine you will need to pull your stats around and prove a commitment to good quality games. Becoming an Ambassador class player and signing up to the classicists would be a good place to start.

:cry: Fair enough, that's what I get for starting back with an old account that wasn't taken very seriously.
Sour Flour

Standard rating: 923
All-game rating: 1325

Postby asudevil » 09 Feb 2018, 01:50

ModEx is done...lets do this.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1351
All-game rating: 1497
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby joe92 » 09 Feb 2018, 11:42

asudevil wrote:ModEx is done...lets do this.

Need to get some units fixed up for it. Will get a recruitment thread out this evening.

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 09 Feb 2018, 12:52

joe92 wrote:
asudevil wrote:ModEx is done...lets do this.

Need to get some units fixed up for it. Will get a recruitment thread out this evening.

The hype is real. 8-)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

PreviousNext

Return to PbF Variant Development