New Variant: Emergence (USA)

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Re: New Variant: Emergence (USA)

Postby joe92 » 06 Feb 2018, 19:11

Don Juan of Austria wrote:Looks great! And would love to play.

Thanks!

Don Juan of Austria wrote:
Victory Conditions
You need 34 supply centres to solo.

Just the button right of the map says 33.

Corrected.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1746)
Timezone: GMT

Postby StarkAdder » 06 Feb 2018, 19:24

Panem is born!

Great map and rules. I'd love to play if you have room or create a second game.

StarkAdder
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1208
All-game rating: 1074
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 06 Feb 2018, 21:26

Game Start
The game begins in Spring 2060.

Thinking of so many memes... Joe is living in 2060 while we're still in 2018! :lol: :lol:
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1063
All-game rating: 1179
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 06 Feb 2018, 23:32

For the supply centers where they're named after cities rather than regions, what's the priority there for which cities get shout-outs and which don't?

Because while Charlotte, NC is the largest individual city in that state, the current (and likely future) commercial and political hub of North Carolina is the Research Triangle: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and all their attached suburbs.

Without making an actual change to the map, you could shift the location of the border and dot to be Raleigh-Durham and model the abbreviation from our airport code (RDU).
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501

Postby EnlightenedMonarch » 07 Feb 2018, 00:07

Looks good and quite the backstory! I'm interested.
"Nothing reduces unemployment like a good war."
Gold Classicist
Imperial Leader of Japan in Colonial 7
Past Campaigns: Norway (CDRBH), Ranier (Emerald City 3), Italy (ModEx 1), Ethiopia (Africa 4)
EnlightenedMonarch

Standard rating: (1393)
All-game rating: (1419)

Postby joe92 » 07 Feb 2018, 12:27

StarkAdder wrote:Panem is born!

Great map and rules. I'd love to play if you have room or create a second game.

May the odds be ever in your favour...

Thanks! I'll add your name to the shortlist when I start recruiting for a game.

Don Juan of Austria wrote:Thinking of so many memes... Joe is living in 2060 while we're still in 2018! :lol: :lol:

It's a dark future ahead, my friend. ;)

NoPunIn10Did wrote:For the supply centers where they're named after cities rather than regions, what's the priority there for which cities get shout-outs and which don't?

Because while Charlotte, NC is the largest individual city in that state, the current (and likely future) commercial and political hub of North Carolina is the Research Triangle: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, and all their attached suburbs.

Without making an actual change to the map, you could shift the location of the border and dot to be Raleigh-Durham and model the abbreviation from our airport code (RDU).

With the exception of the special cases of Dakotas and Bahamas all supply centres are named after population centres and non supply centres after geographical regions.

As to how I picked them. I got the idea for this map after reading an article about future projections of the world. For the US there is a planning association called America 2050 in which, among other things, they have predicted how the megalopolises of the US will look in 2050. They even have a map. I used that map as the starting point for the creation of my own. Those guys over at America 2050 believe Charlotte will still be the hub of North Carolina by then, and the current population trends do have it growing faster than Raleigh. But their predictions are from '08, Raleigh is the capital of NC, and if you say it's growing to become the main hub of the future I'll take your word for it and change the province to Raleigh. It also has the nice side effect of eliminating the Charlotte / Charleston abbreviation conflict.

EnlightenedMonarch wrote:Looks good and quite the backstory! I'm interested.

Thanks! I had a map but no reason why the US would go to war with itself, and thus a dystopian future was born. Good to see you around again.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: (1106)
All-game rating: (1746)
Timezone: GMT

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 07 Feb 2018, 16:26

joe92 wrote:I got the idea for this map after reading an article about future projections of the world. For the US there is a planning association called America 2050 in which, among other things, they have predicted how the megalopolises of the US will look in 2050. They even have a map. I used that map as the starting point for the creation of my own. Those guys over at America 2050 believe Charlotte will still be the hub of North Carolina by then, and the current population trends do have it growing faster than Raleigh.

That's interesting. I think the trouble is what definition of "metropolitan area" is being used. Charlotte is currently a bigger city than Raleigh, but Wake County (where Raleigh lies) is already larger than Mecklenburg County (where Charlotte lies). The Raleigh metropolitan area has also grown into a sort of "twin cities" area with nearby Durham.

The other thing that might have bearing for your map is that a considerable portion of Charlotte's growth is actually occurring outside North Carolina's borders. Charlotte isn't exactly a two-state city like Kansas City (Missouri / Kansas) or Bristol (Virginia / Tennesse), but I'd estimate around 25% of its suburban growth is actually occurring in South Carolina.

Also, Charlotte is just kinda boring.
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Postby asudevil » 07 Feb 2018, 17:35

NoPunIn10Did wrote:
joe92 wrote:I got the idea for this map after reading an article about future projections of the world. For the US there is a planning association called America 2050 in which, among other things, they have predicted how the megalopolises of the US will look in 2050. They even have a map. I used that map as the starting point for the creation of my own. Those guys over at America 2050 believe Charlotte will still be the hub of North Carolina by then, and the current population trends do have it growing faster than Raleigh.

That's interesting. I think the trouble is what definition of "metropolitan area" is being used. Charlotte is currently a bigger city than Raleigh, but Wake County (where Raleigh lies) is already larger than Mecklenburg County (where Charlotte lies). The Raleigh metropolitan area has also grown into a sort of "twin cities" area with nearby Durham.

The other thing that might have bearing for your map is that a considerable portion of Charlotte's growth is actually occurring outside North Carolina's borders. Charlotte isn't exactly a two-state city like Kansas City (Missouri / Kansas) or Bristol (Virginia / Tennesse), but I'd estimate around 25% of its suburban growth is actually occurring in South Carolina.

Also, Charlotte is just kinda boring.

That twin city thing is kinda the point. You should check out the reference map if you havne't ... it's a very interesting article that I have read a while ago.

I don't know which of what you are saying is right...but in Phoenix, you already see the buildup on the road south to Tucson...it used to be almost all desert...its slowly converging. Same with just driving to San Diego. In the last 15 years, the drive through the desert has shortened by at least an hour as the cities grow. But they are talking about how state lines will blend together more as cities merge into mega-cities.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby EpicDim » 07 Feb 2018, 19:54

I'd recommend you allow fleet/army changes when capturing a stronghold. It's a pretty significant hardship for the landlocked nations to get fleets by capturing, then not only moving out but capturing another SC in order to build there, but the ability to immediately have a fleet when capturing makes it a bit easier. It also allows seafaring nations to move inland more quickly.
Gauls (Ad Arma) 3-way, Russia (Othello) 4-way, Austria (Crowded Othello) Solo, England (Devious GM 2) Solo, Egypt (Time Travel) 3-way, (Exploration: Great Expeditions) Solo
EpicDim

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1169)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 07 Feb 2018, 20:12

Are you able to build in your starting SCs even if they're not Strongholds?
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to PbF Variant Development