80kb?

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

80kb?

Postby Bromley86 » 21 Sep 2017, 13:34

Just checking that 80kb is still a rule. I've got 300-400kb maps that I'd like to upload, but I'll figure something else out if I have to.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Re: 80kb?

Postby joe92 » 21 Sep 2017, 16:20

Yes. 80 is the limit. If you can get it smaller that's even better.

What program are you using for editing and what file type are you saving the images as? Chances are that you can reduce the size considerably just by altering the format.

For files larger than roughly 20kb you want to save as a PNG-8 to reduce the size. It has the best compression rates and produces the crispest images. Better than GIF. For more info read here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/233 ... est-to-use

PNG has several types. PNG-8, PNG-24, PNG-32. The number refers to the palette size. PNG-8 gives the best compression because it only allows 256 colours (2 to the power of 8), like GIF's. The 24 and 32 palettes allow millions of colours and produce large file types. More like JPEG.

If you have the adobe suite you can use Fireworks to produce PNG-8 images. You select to save as a Flattened PNG. If you click on properties you then select PNG-8 and then Alpha Transparency.

If you are using GIMP like I do it's not quite as straightforward unfortunately. To save as PNG-8:
1. Flatten the image. Image -> Flatten Image
2. Index the colours. Image -> Mode -> Indexed
3. Export the image. Ctrl + Shift + E, or File -> Export As

Ensure it is a .png extension and it will save as a PNG-8 file. What I do as well is save my image first, then follow those steps and after the image is exported undo or close without saving to ensure the image is not saved in the flattened state.

Chances are you can bring the file size down simply by altering the file type. My ModEx map is huge and is only 84kb. When I redrew Heptarchy it is large but only 43kb. And I got Africa all the way down to 30kb.

If the file size is still too big after that then read through this post by Morg on some tricks to editing to reducing file size. Small things often catch you out. When you look at a bunch of black pixels on a screen they all look the same to us, but might be different palette colours. Ensuring that all the black is exactly the same palette can bring a file size down a lot. That caught me out on my first ModEx map, and after fixing the black pixels I brought the size down from way over 100kb to 75kb.

If you need any more help just shout. And post your map when you get the chance :D
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1746
Timezone: GMT

Postby Bromley86 » 21 Sep 2017, 16:30

Perfect, thanks Joe! I resaved it as PNG8, and that dropped it from 400 to 200kb. I'll work through the rest of your post tomorrow.
Bromley86

Postby nanooktheeskimo » 22 Sep 2017, 00:39

You also have the option, since this is just in development and not a real game yet, of uploading it to Imgur and pasting a link to it (or a thumbnail) here. That way you can start getting some feedback on it before you finish getting the size down.
Platinum Classicist
(h/t lordelindel)

I am your (co-) Leader.

GM of WitA 7, WitA 8.

Come play face to face!

Need a forum game GM'ed? PM me!

Mod (but I'm normally not talking as one)
nanooktheeskimo
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1209)
All-game rating: (1389)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 22 Sep 2017, 17:05

nanooktheeskimo wrote:You also have the option, since this is just in development and not a real game yet, of uploading it to Imgur and pasting a link to it (or a thumbnail) here. That way you can start getting some feedback on it before you finish getting the size down.

Imgur has its ups and downs, but if you are making a high-detail, high-resolution map, they're often the best option. They will keep any image under 5 MB intact; you can also upload larger images (but they'll be compressed as jpeg).

In BB code, this is what I've had the most success with. Assume the base URL of an Imgur image is
Code: Select all
https://imgur.com/tUyXwdF

Note that the letters at the end are a hash identifier for the picture. If you stick an "l" at the end of the hash, you get a "large" version of the image. The "large" size on Imgur is calibrated to make images show up on phpbb forums (like this one) without cropping or scrolling.

I wrap these images in a hyperlink to the full-resolution image itself, using https://href.li/? to prevent Imgur from redirecting the link (though that doesn't fix it for mobile).

Example Code

Code: Select all
[url=https://href.li/?http://i.imgur.com/tUyXwdF.png][img]http://i.imgur.com/tUyXwdFl.png[/img][/url]

Example Image & Hyperlink

NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Bromley86 » 23 Sep 2017, 00:45

Perfect, thanks guys. I was having trouble compressing it below 200kb.
Bromley86

Return to PbF Variant Development