Spring of Nations Diplomacy Variant

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Re: Spring of Nations Diplomacy Variant

Postby Antigonos » 22 Jul 2016, 22:15

Aeschines wrote:Additionally, I would even suggest that players begin to receive penalties from growing too large, i.e. the number of PPs grows as you grow until your empire hits a point where it begins to be unweidly and then the PPs plateau and then slowly decline.

While that would tend towards longer games/draws as stopping a single strong player would be easier, I think it would tailor nicely with the realities of governing a diverse 19th Century Empire.

I like this idea. An alternative would be that in any given turn where you deploy more than a certain number of PPs a percentage of them, say one third, are subject to a 50% failure rate (with the individual PP results determined by a dice thrown by the GM) due to administrative overload. It would introduce yet one more calculation as to when to turn PP use into more of a gamble in order to maximize potential gains.
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Antigonos » 22 Jul 2016, 22:20

EnlightenedMonarch wrote:Those are some good suggestions. So thinking maybe something like this:

1-3 SC's: 2PP's per year
4-6: 5 PP's
7-9: 8 PP's
10-13: 10 PP's
14-15: 12 PP's
16-17: 14 PP's

Does that seem more balanced? My one worry is that at the endgame it is a lot easier for players stopping the solo to coordinate using PP's than it is normally using units, and I don't want to make a solo too hard.

Another option would be to cap the PP's that you can use each turn, which could work too.

This seems OK. As to the cap on use per term I have suggested an alternative that might be used in another post I just made. If my idea is used one might also set a trigger of the 50% of a third on any one set of orders for PP use in a given turn by a group of powers or a single power. Is this getting too complicated?
Classicists Platinum, Oldies & soldier in Cavalry to the rescue
Samnites 3 draw Ad Arma
Prussia draw Ambition & Empire
USSR in 3 draw Blitzkrieg[
England solo Renaissance
Germany in 6 draw World Influence
Athens 4 draw Greek City States
Zaire solo Africa
Iran 3 draw ModEX II
Antigonos
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1483)
All-game rating: (1517)

Postby EnlightenedMonarch » 23 Jul 2016, 22:30

I'm not sure whether or not to have a cap. I hesitate to use the 50% failure system you proposed as I don't want it to become too complicated. In my view, the revolutions should be fairly simple, so they complement the normal movement of units instead of overrule it.
"Nothing reduces unemployment like a good war."
Gold Classicist
Imperial Leader of Japan in Colonial 7
Past Campaigns: Norway (CDRBH), Ranier (Emerald City 3), Italy (ModEx 1), Ethiopia (Africa 4)
EnlightenedMonarch

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1393)
All-game rating: (1419)

Postby RedSun » 13 Jun 2017, 04:59

Maybe you could get 4 PPs each turn no matter your size so when your bigger it is harder to control all your spaces. It would lead to a longer game and maybe you would need to increase by 1 PP every 3 SCs captured just so it's not impossible to win but I'm not sure. Just throwing out an idea
Groups:
Asteria Republic in CYOC
Silver Classicist
RedSun

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1156)
All-game rating: (1173)
Timezone: GMT-6

Previous

Return to PbF Variant Development