1867 Diplomacy

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

1867 Diplomacy

Postby Cyklwn » 26 Jun 2016, 15:24

With Units:
http://i.imgur.com/Lv6D5A7.png

Without Unis:
http://i.imgur.com/LEsqn7J.png

The goal of this map is to add North America to the 1900 variant alongside 2 new powers and to reflect the global situation in 1867. This variant has 9 powers:

Britain:
The SC in Liverpool is moved to Ireland to create a quicker connection between Britain and North America. The Ireland SC now has an army which will allow for convoys onto the European continent or North America. An SC is now in Canada instead of Egypt as Britain didn't control Egypt at the time. The fleet in Gibraltar is gone now as it would mess up the balance with Spain. There are fewer areas on mainland Britain to reflect its small size and expose more of its centres to America.

France:
Nothing has changed in France, however France will probably be less powerful due to the addition of Spain. This is slightly balanced by the fact Germany can't immediately take Belgium. France is now more sandwiched between other powers and will have to be more aggressive to thrive. France can potentially have a presence in North America

Germany:
In 1867 the North German Confederation has just formed. Germany is hardly as established as a power as a result. Germany will be much less powerful in this version with only 3 SCs but still has more opportunities to gain centres than any other power. There is much more tension between Germany and Russia as Germany's capital, Koenigsberg borders Warsaw. If Germany captures Munich it is a home SC and Germany can build armies there.

Italy:
Italy is relatively unchanged from 1900. In 1867 Italy has just unified and so isn't particularly powerful. It will be more powerful due to a weakened France but less powerful due to a strengthened Ottoman Empire and only having to compete with one country over Switzerland.

Austria:
Austria also hasn't changed but will be weaker due to the increased Ottoman presence in the Balkans. Austria can still guarantee Serbia. Austria will be slightly more powerful due to a decreased threat from Germany.

The Ottoman Empire:
Turkey is not yet the sick man of Europe in 1867. They now have 4 SCs, a number suited to a large Empire. While at this time the Ottomans has control of Serbia and Rumania I felt giving them this area would be too overpowered. Because of this they only now have Bulgaria, in which an army is stationed. In 1867 Egypt is a vassal state of the Ottoman Empire that can be taken without contest in the first year. The rule where a fleet in the south Atlantic can move to Hejaz is still in place to prevent the Turkish wall that occurs often in vanilla diplomacy.

Russia:
Russia has a presence in North America in the form of their fleet in Alaska however this fleet can be pulled back into Europe, making Russia an extremely powerful force there. The Siberia emergency rule no longer exists and Siberia now simply functions as a normal home SC. Russia is the most powerful nation starting off as it was in vanilla diplomacy. I think this fits as Russia potentially has to deal with every other power except Italy and the US off the bat.

Spain:
Spain is the European Power most connected to North America. It is divided on the mainland in the same way as it was in the Versailles variant but with the SC split into 2 SCs, Madrid and Cadiz. Spain's other centre is Mexico city, an SC that has many options for fleet movement as fleets can go from it to either side of North America. However, when moving to the northern half of Mexico, Spain must commit to either the east or the west. Spain is fairly vulnerable from attacks from France and the USA and is a fairly weak power, which reflects its situation in 1867 as the sick man of Europe.

USA:
The civil war has just ended and America has only started on its journey to becoming a superpower. In 1867 the US is fairly weak, only controlling half of the units in North America. Rebellious Texas and gold-rich California do not begin in the control of the USA and all of it's initial centres are bunched up near the East coast. Both Texas and California become home SCs if the US takes them though, giving America the potential to become a large sea power in the late game.

What does everyone think of this variant?
Last edited by Cyklwn on 26 Jun 2016, 21:12, edited 3 times in total.
Cyklwn

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (925)
All-game rating: (913)
Timezone: GMT

Re: 1867 Diplomacy

Postby Malevolence » 26 Jun 2016, 16:34

It looks great but there are a ton of SC spaces and not many non SC ones it seems, especially in Europe.
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1094)
All-game rating: (1071)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Cyklwn » 26 Jun 2016, 21:29

It's almost exactly the same ratio as in the 1900 variant and in vanilla diplomacy in Europe/Africa. Where do you see a need for more non SC spaces?
Cyklwn

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 26 Jun 2016, 21:57

Neat!! Though, those are some huge sea zones. ;) Wouldn't it be a little better to have smaller sea zones between Europe and the USA?
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Cyklwn » 27 Jun 2016, 17:38

They are large which was intentional as I wanted a relatively close connection between Europe and North America due to the powers spanning both continents. I made it so that the US borders only 1 Atlantic zone so they only had to worry about 1. Where would you suggest adding more zones?
Cyklwn

Postby JonS » 27 Jun 2016, 20:48

I would also recommend splitting up the atlantic...as it is right now a single fleet could threaten both the US and portugal, which feels a bit too tight, particularly for historical context.
“Find an ally who will die for you, and see that he does just that.”
The immortal Richard Sharp

Platinum Member of the Classicists Club
House Tyrell in Diplomacy of Ice and Fire
JonS

Standard rating: (1557)
All-game rating: (1606)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 28 Jun 2016, 15:09

Yup. I'd add zones off the coasts. Something like War in the Americas. Huge sea zones, with smaller ones actually bordering the SCs.
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Cyklwn » 30 Jun 2016, 19:03

Would this be a good fix?:

http://i.imgur.com/qlBoc5H.png
Cyklwn

Postby NoPunIn10Did » 20 Jul 2016, 19:29

One suggestion for you from something I learned with building 1812 Overture: it's a pain in the a** to preserve scale when showing North America and Europe simultaneously. It warps distances horribly, crowding most of the important map data into smaller-and-smaller portions of the total map.

My 1812 Overture Map doesn't include the same set of regions as yours, so it's not going to work quite the same, but I have some suggestions based on decisions that helped me:
  1. Scale and orient the Americas separately from Eurasia.
    Trying to pick a projection of the world that got everything of importance to fit was a nightmare. When I gave up on that assumption, I was able to clip off only the parts of each continent that I actually cared about, then join them back together. Which leads to the next point...
  2. Ignore geographic accuracy for the oceans.
    Think about whether representing ocean distance by roughly breaking up large bodies of water into segments will serve your purpose.
  3. (Optional) Clip out most anything north of Alaska & Norway.
    Unless you want your scenario to include a sort of alt-history Northwest Passage, that whole section of the Arctic Ocean was not navigable by military ships at the time. It was basically all solid ice, most of which stretched into both Russia and Canada. The Barents Sea is about as far north as you need to go, with the Pacific Ocean connecting to Alaska instead. Parts of the Artic ocean were navigable, but there was no body of navigable water that connected Norway to Alaska.

Unrelated to the map aesthetics: how much do you care about historic accuracy? There are always some sacrifices to be made, of course, but I'd suggest that you probably shouldn't have a Spain player on this map at all. Mexico had been French-controlled at that time rather than Spanish, but had a revolution in 1867. Likewise, Spain had its own revolution in 1867-68. It wasn't just the time's "sick man of Europe" so much as the "dumpster fire of Europe."
NoPunIn10Did
Lead Volunteer Developer

Forum Administrator

Variant GM & Designer
NoPunIn10Did
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1000
All-game rating: 1501

Postby pjkon » 01 Aug 2016, 04:38

I looked over your map several times and couldn't find anything broken. Germany seems quite weak, and Turkey and the United States seem quite strong, but only a bit more then say Italy versus Russia in standard.

I am very interested in playing if this ever gets run.
It is better to have scs then allies, assuming something aproaching equal combat power in each

Your credibility with eliminated powers is irrelavant

Keep your allies happy enough that they stay allies

If you are receiving a message from me ignore this signature
pjkon

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)

Next

Return to PbF Variant Development