Creating a world-sized map, paint.net, etc.

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Creating a world-sized map, paint.net, etc.

Postby thucyd » 25 Jun 2012, 02:02

About a quarter-century ago, I laboured for months over a stack of historical atlases and finally produced a world diplomacy game that covered twelve sheets of bristol-board. It was magnificent: Eighteen countries had units but I designed it to be played by a minimum of nine (seven in a pinch.) It was only played four times- eleven players was our record- and, when my childhood home was sold five years later, it would have been discarded but for the encouragement of a friend who gathered it up and has it still.

Although I've helped him move at least a half-dozen times over the intervening years, it was only last month that I actually laid eyes on it again and I believe it is very playable. The problem is, I'm computer-illiterate and not sure if I can jump into becoming a designer overnight. I found the paint-net site but my security system immediately gave me a warning when I tried to download it. This pld PC of mine is a pile of crap but it wouldn't take me more than a month to acquire a new or gently-used PC or Mac.

Would someone with map-making experience please suggest a course of action and perhaps offer to hold my hand through the ensuing stages? I honestly feel that this game(after a much anticipated amount of tweaking) would make a popular addition to the Dip variants presently available and I would be happy to GM when the time came.

Any responses with advice (or even with dark, dire warnings) would be appreciated.

Thanks!
thucyd

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Creating a world-sized map, paint.net, etc.

Postby KidneyBean » 25 Jun 2012, 02:14

Wow! That would be absolutely terrific. Although I'm not a competent computer geek, you might ask thecraw or the admins (dipsy, rick, etc.) for help. There is already a world diplomacy in the form of WW4 (currently active forum game), but that is 35 countries (I think). Good luck, this would be an awesome addition to the forum game selection.
KidneyBean

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1248)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby asudevil » 25 Jun 2012, 02:22

Problem is its huge...So I dont know how to shrink it down...But Im interested.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.

Want to play fantasy football this season here...Reigning Champion
asudevil

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1497)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby thucyd » 25 Jun 2012, 02:50

Thanks for these two rapid and encouraging responses!

Would it be conceivable to set up a separate site with a link to PlayDip? I wouldn't mind taking on the cost (If it's not prohibitive) of a blogspot that had six or more drop-down maps (say two for the western hemisphere and four for the eastern) but it might be confusing for players to see the same fleet unit recreated on two or more maps that covered the same sea-spaces.

That way, I could just paint in the units between each phase and return to PlayDip with references to the updated site. Or is that an unrealistic notion, technology-wise? Or even cost-wise? How much would maintaining such a site put me back per month? Any idea?
thucyd

Standard rating: (971)
All-game rating: (971)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby KidneyBean » 25 Jun 2012, 04:25

Like I said earlier, you should PM admins and/or Mods. It's a much faster and easier way to contact competent people. :lol: They should be able to help you.
KidneyBean

Standard rating: (1248)
All-game rating: (1248)

Postby acdc » 25 Jun 2012, 04:30

what you could do is take your iPod touch, iPad, iPhone, or anything else with a camera and take pictures of each board, then put it into photoshop or any other system and put it back together. then save it and upload the entire picture here
acdc

Standard rating: (978)
All-game rating: (977)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Pedros » 08 Jul 2012, 12:48

There are quite a number of world-scale games, several of them played here. Imperial and WW4 are currently running, and there's a move to get a new game of World Diplomacy going. But the more the merrier (check out Active for the current Imperial and WW4, and Archived for their previous games and World Dip

Quite apart from the difficulty of putting the map together, you're also likely to face problems posting the map turn by turn! It's also a game that we would only permit a really experienced on-site GM to handle for a variety of reasons (you'll see our approach to new GMs at viewforum.php?f=135

Finally, I'm moving this into "Games in Development" - it'll get more exposure there, and also belongs there logically.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)

Postby marsman57 » 11 Jul 2012, 17:39

I'd like to see the map. If you could take some digital photos of it, it would be helpful.
marsman57

Standard rating: (1109)
All-game rating: (1118)

Postby Magmaniac » 19 Jul 2012, 22:42

If you could post pictures of the original maps, I might be able to help in creating paint.net versions of them.
Magmaniac

Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Pharaoh of nerds » 28 Jul 2012, 22:17

I know paint.net is the favorite of map-makers on this site, but I actually prefer Inkscape. It has a simple, easy to learn interface that has many levels of complexity to explore as you get more experienced in using it.
To get the images on here:
1) Scan the maps into your computer (via a printer, most can do that nowadays) or take photographs of them.
2) Upload the images to an image hosting site (I'm assuming they're too big to just post on the forum, where there's an attachment size limit). I use imageshack, but there are lots of them you could try.
3) Post the links to the images here.
4) Depending on just how huge it is, I might be able to trace some or all of it in Inkscape.
I and a few others might be able to trace some for you. We'd have to see the maps first, and we'd have to agree on exact colors for neutrals, water, and each player, but we could probably do it.
GM Evil vs Evil vs Evil vs 'MURIKA
Creator + Britain 1930s World
Creator 1700, 1933, 1914 World
Japan in Zeus
Britain in 1900: Stars and Stripes
Messinia in Pericles
Franci in Imperium
Evil England in Root Z
Yellow in City-States and Zombies
Pharaoh of nerds

Standard rating: (1000)