Fortification Variant

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Fortification Variant

Postby presser84 » 07 Apr 2011, 21:23

No Craw that does not say fornication!!!!! It's fortification - a new variant I would like to propose.

The rules are relatively simple. The game starts with the standard map and unit starting positions (though I think fleet Rome or build anywhere variants would work well for this too). The variant adds a " fort designation phase" before the game starts and after the fall builds each year.

Fort Designation This phase is after the builds phase. In this phase a player can choose a SC for fortification.

Fortification - Fortification gives that SC special defensive properties- it can support a unit in it to hold or support a unit back into the fort. Orders for the forts would be entered, for example, as Fort Bulgaria supports Army Bulgaria to hold or Fort Bulgaria supports Army Rumania to Bulgaria

Building/Removing Forts - For every 3 SC's that a player has they can designate a new fortified SC. The new fortified SC must be under their occupation. Should a country drop below a multiple of 3 that country must remove a fort. Should a player lose a fortified SC at the end of a fall phase that SC would lose its special properties and become a normal SC.

Not fortifying - a player may choose not to fortify even if they hold a multiple of three.

Fleets and forts - A fleet can enter or be held in a fort. Think of it like a naval base.

Forts and other units another unit can support a unit in or to a fort. The sequence would look like this.

Fleet Black Sea supports Army Bulgaria to hold
Fort Bulgaria supports Army Bulgaria to hold
Army Bulgaria holds

or

Fleet Black Sea supports Army Rumania to Bulgaria
Fort Bulgaria supports Army Rumania to Bulgaria
Rumania move to Bulgaria

Both of those sequences (if un-cut) would give Bulgaria the power of 3 units

Forts and allies - Forts can only support the controlling country's unit. However, an ally can still support a unit to a fort or to hold in a fort.

Adjacent forts - an adjacent fort can NOT support the actions of the other. (this should be self explanatory but I mention it just in case there is confusion).

I think it might create some gridlock but at the same time would create some interesting negotiations. I also think it creates a fun wrinkle to the strategy involved. You might take a new SC and then instantly fortify it or maybe fortify a home center instead. Maybe you hold off on fortifying anything? Also the players you can gain some information/misinformation based on what players choose to fortify.

I would like to try it out to see if it is as interesting as it sounds in my head.... Let me know what you think- if something like this has been done before and if you have any interest in trying this out as a forum game.
Westeros Diplomacy - GM/creator
Diplomacy of Ice and Fire 2 - GM
Keirador wrote:Stop being a dickasaurus rex.
presser84

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1460)
All-game rating: (1678)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Fortification Variant

Postby NSJ » 07 Apr 2011, 21:42

I know that seas can't technically be controlled, but could you for instance make a fort in a sea that you currently occupy?
Honesty isn't always the best policy, that's just what they tell you.
NSJ

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby presser84 » 07 Apr 2011, 21:58

NSJ wrote:I know that seas can't technically be controlled, but could you for instance make a fort in a sea that you currently occupy?

I did consider that but the way I initially designed the variant no. The thought process was that fortifications could only be on land because it's not possible to build something in the sea.

I thought about having the variant with non-SC territories as "fortifiable" but I decided that could create too many stalemate lines. Currently the rules are that forts could only be built in territories with a SC. Changing it to forts could be build on any land territory previously occupied by that country might be something I would do if everyone wanted before we started playing.
presser84

Postby paulus » 07 Apr 2011, 22:02

presser84 wrote:No Craw that does not say fornication!!!!! It's fortification - a new variant I would like to propose.

By any chance, are you also working on a fornication variant? this one sounds very interesting, but so does the other. Good luck with either ;)
paulus

Class: Ambassador

Postby presser84 » 08 Apr 2011, 04:57

paulus wrote:
presser84 wrote:No Craw that does not say fornication!!!!! It's fortification - a new variant I would like to propose.

By any chance, are you also working on a fornication variant? this one sounds very interesting, but so does the other. Good luck with either ;)

I'm always working on a fornication variant :D
presser84

Postby BAMonHAM » 09 May 2011, 07:01

im interested
All the bile and skin defiled, not a bit shall go to waste
BAMonHAM

Class: Diplomat

Postby diplomat42 » 25 May 2011, 00:26

Interested once RL calms down.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to PbF Variant Development