Niakan Variant Diplomacy Series -- Checking For Interest

This is the place for games which are currently being created and developed, and where the designer is listening to feedback from other players. The game is not ready to play, and the designers are not looking for sign-ups - indeed, they may have no intention of GMing the game themselves when it is finished. But your input is welcome!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Despite repeated requests, designers are still regularly posting maps of several hundred Kb size. All maps should be under 80Kb and preferable 50-60 maximum. Unless you have prior permission, any larger map will be removed without warning.

Niakan Variant Diplomacy Series -- Checking For Interest

Postby Niakan » 18 Nov 2010, 15:26

Hi guys,

Thought I might like to try my hand at hosting a forum game series. An odd thing that I like to do is scribble off quick maps, so this helps enable my habit. I would like to make a series of games with different, new, fictional maps created that (after some amount of cursory study) appear to be fairly balanced, with all possible stages of the game considered. These maps are hardly perfect but I'd like to think there's a pretty decent balance. I would be honored if any of you would like to join in this series: Perhaps I'll keep a list going of frequent players and stats to add a little bit of fun to the series. Of course I'd love to hear your feedback on this as well.

The first map I'd like to introduce is this:

forumgame1.png
forumgame1.png (65.97 KiB) Viewed 1431 times

Though without the labels for territory names, it has the SCs marked down and again I'd be eager to receive feedback on the map itself or whether anyone would be willing to participate in this series.

I'm thinking deadlines would be something like 72/24/24, but of course I could accommodate the wishes of the group that signed up.

Thank you,
Niakan
Face-to-face organizer of Diplomacy games in New York City.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (949)
All-game rating: (1017)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Niakan Variant Diplomacy Series -- Checking For Interest

Postby Maucat » 18 Nov 2010, 20:35

It's very interesting but must give a name to all spaces in the map for playing it.
Is there a country with 5 initial units?
"Governare è far credere" - "To govern is to make to believe"
N. Machiavelli
Maucat

Standard rating: (1039)
All-game rating: (1386)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby gislason » 18 Nov 2010, 20:39

I would play it. Could you tell us what nations are what?, how I would find this forum a series? :D
gislason

Standard rating: (996)
All-game rating: (893)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Zebb » 18 Nov 2010, 20:50

Well Yellow has no neutrals it can take, so even with the two bonus units at start, he's at a bit of a disadvantage. Especially when Purple, Red, and Olive are all pretty sure to get three builds.
Zebb

All-game rating: (1000)

Postby Niakan » 19 Nov 2010, 02:11

Zebb wrote:Well Yellow has no neutrals it can take, so even with the two bonus units at start, he's at a bit of a disadvantage. Especially when Purple, Red, and Olive are all pretty sure to get three builds.

Well done, Zebb. Since I also haven't displayed which units are in the intial build, I'll say this much: One can count on nearly all coastal SCs starting out with a fleet. So, yellow is as you've said at a bit of a disadvantage for having to come into the continent with no new SCs, though I'd think this is balanced by him starting out with 5 SCs and 2 fleets (more than anybody else). Yellow pretty much plays the role of the intruder in this game, and his mobility allows him the choice of points of entry along the Continent (although in the second year, he is likely to enter in the Southeast).

Territory names aren't all that important, really, which is why I put this up without them. But rest assured, the map will be filled with its labels when this kicks off.

@gislason: Thank you for your interest! I'll be sure to send you a PM if I start a sign-ups thread. This is simply the first map of a series of newly generated maps -- I'm pretty sure we'd treat each game as its own forum game under the 'Active' subforum, for organizational purposes, once it started.

Another thing to note is that island in the NW.. Yellow also has the option to go hard for that, which could possibly net him his 6th SC and 3rd fleet... perhaps with an agreement with the olive player against the red one. All these are possibilities. Yellow requires a strong diplomat to succeed, but he can succeed very well if he gets off on the right foot.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Niakan » 19 Nov 2010, 02:13

Hmm.. on second thought I think purple would get 3 armies, and perhaps I'd take an SC away from his borders.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby vaderi » 19 Nov 2010, 21:18

I would actually suggest that Yellow is at an advantage to the other nations, yes he has far fewer neutrals availible to him since he's so far away but the way the sea spaces are designed no one can take a single territory on his home continent since he only needs 2 units to defend any terrirory on his home island. I would even go so far as to suggest a little less complexity on the land (especially the island in the southwest) and a little more for the sea. I think this a very cool map, well done.

do you think it would be build anywhere?
To a light mech, every part of the city is Skid Row.

I am ALIVE!!!!!!!
vaderi

Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (982)

Postby kogarfire22 » 29 Dec 2010, 00:03

If this is still alive, I would love to take part in it. :)

Also, for variety maybe one of the main continents should have two fleets..... maybe like blue. XD
kogarfire22

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Niakan » 29 Dec 2010, 13:46

To be honest, this kinda fell on the backburner. I was discouraged by how imbalanced it started out. But I can revisit it again -- perhaps after I've cleaned up my 1938 map that I'm working on right now.
My Twitch Channel
My YouTube Channel
My current Mafia game
Niakan

Postby Ceebs » 02 Jan 2011, 08:25

This map seems fairly well balanced actually, and it would certainly allow for some exciting negotiation.

One suggestion i would make is to reduce the clutter of SCs in the southeast a little. It weighs down that end of the island and having some neutral territory amongst the SCs would be a good thing.
Instead, consider moving some more SCs out to sea. It ouwld give the mainland players more of an incentive to consider naval conquest and challenge Yellow.

Yellow's role as a 1902 intruder is certainly interesting, not to mention unique. On the other hand, that player is pretty much guaranteed to survive the whole game in some capacity, since his island fortress is easily defended and would require a huge commitment to conquer. In standard diplomacy, it's not uncommon to see any given country eliminated first from the game. In this variant however, Yellow would probably end up with an extraordinarily high survival rate and win/draw rate (if simulated many times over). Not a deal-breaker for the map, but something to consider, especially if this will be played as part of a series(/tournament) of games.

Lastly, remember that a lot of the intrigue behind standard diplomacy comes from having natural choke points and unusual geography. Perhaps this map could benefit from some multi-coast spots, canals, isthmuses, impassable areas, etc...
Ceebs

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1058)
All-game rating: (1204)

Return to PbF Variant Development