Spring of 1904

28-players, four per country, with an anonymous rotation for who controls the country, played on the standard map. Created by Dunkelseele. GM: Dunkelseele. Game ended with no resolution.

Re: Spring of 1904

Postby Steppenwulf » 26 Apr 2009, 16:07

And of course, as I suggested adopting lotr's idea as a way to reduce NRMs here, I am for it too :)
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1023)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Dunkelseele » 26 Apr 2009, 16:14

Caffa wrote:I like that idea. If this were to become regular, I could check this board once a week rather than every time I log on to the site.

You would need to check in more than once a week. You (i.e. each player group ) would have a phase deadline every 5 to 6 days, and since you'd have a different phase most weeks, your deadline would be on a different day each week.
It takes two to lie. One to lie, and one to listen. - Homer Simpson

Host of Quadrophenia
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4046
Dunkelseele

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Dunkelseele » 26 Apr 2009, 16:16

Map forth coming. Hopefully tonight before I go to bed. Sorry for the delay.

Host of Quadrophenia
Dunkelseele

Postby Steppenwulf » 26 Apr 2009, 16:58

Dunkelseele wrote:
Caffa wrote:I like that idea. If this were to become regular, I could check this board once a week rather than every time I log on to the site.

You would need to check in more than once a week. You (i.e. each player group ) would have a phase deadline every 5 to 6 days, and since you'd have a different phase most weeks, your deadline would be on a different day each week.

Ah, but Dunkel, my recommendation was a variation of lotr's idea. Instead of 5 turns a week corresponding to phases, I recommended 4 turns a week corresponding to personalities.

Slightly slower, but it achieves the goal of everyone knowing exactly when they must make their moves, simplifying things for the players, and hopefully also for the GM by avoiding NMRs.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Postby Jaded Knight » 26 Apr 2009, 18:34

Dunkelseele wrote:Map forth coming. Hopefully tonight before I go to bed. Sorry for the delay.

No worries, its a lot of responsibility. Since i am so understanding can we talk about that Ninja army now? ;)
War does not determine who is right, war determines who is left.
Jaded Knight

Postby Dunkelseele » 27 Apr 2009, 17:34

Steppenwulf wrote:Ah, but Dunkel, my recommendation was a variation of lotr's idea. Instead of 5 turns a week corresponding to phases, I recommended 4 turns a week corresponding to personalities.

Slightly slower, but it achieves the goal of everyone knowing exactly when they must make their moves, simplifying things for the players, and hopefully also for the GM by avoiding NMRs.

An interesting proposal, but 7 is not divided evenly by 4, and thus 3 groups would always get 2 days, and 1 group always one day.

Host of Quadrophenia
Dunkelseele

Postby Steppenwulf » 27 Apr 2009, 18:13

Yes, you are absolutely correct. For example:

Group 1 moves due Sunday midnight.
Group 2 moves due Tuesday midnight.
Group 3 moves due Wednesday midnight.
Group 4 moves due Friday midnight.

That is it.

So only 4 turns occur a week. The deadlines are firm, with emergency generals standing by if necessary - so you know when you will get the orders and can get your GMing done according to your schedule.

Players know that their orders are due on Tuesday night, for example, and they know the map is published Monday morning, so they check the boards on Monday, do their discussions on Monday/Tuesday and get their orders in.

Group 3 in the above example has less time than the others - maybe that could be helped out by asking Group 2 to have their orders in a little earlier so that the map is up by early evening Tuedsay, so Group 3 has more than a full day. But no matter what, one of the groups will have less time than the others. Of course, for retreats and builds, you might be able to put the map up early if they get in early, so it may be ok most of the time.

The goal is to make it predictable for everyone when things that require their attention will occur, thus hopefully reducing NMRs. Just a suggestion - if you think it will help, great, otherwise we can continue as we are doing.

Dunkelseele wrote:
Steppenwulf wrote:Ah, but Dunkel, my recommendation was a variation of lotr's idea. Instead of 5 turns a week corresponding to phases, I recommended 4 turns a week corresponding to personalities.

An interesting proposal, but 7 is not divided evenly by 4, and thus 3 groups would always get 2 days, and 1 group always one day.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Postby connect4 » 27 Apr 2009, 18:22

I think that our friend Dunkel's point, though, was that there will be times where Group 2 has a move order, and thus only has 24 hours for a turn that normally has 48 hours (for instance, the Spring turn after a build may be very difficult to plan in advance).

Now if you have good players, it shouldn't matter, but you still run the possibility of a 1/2 length move compared to normal.
connect4

Standard rating: (1042)
All-game rating: (1012)

Postby Steppenwulf » 27 Apr 2009, 18:45

Yes, I agree. The only thing I would suggest in such a situation is that the previous order will have been a retreat or build, would not have required the full 48 hours, and perhaps the results could be put up early. Not all players would see it early though.

In addition, we could cut the previous team's time a bit as well, so that they had to put up their orders by noon or 4pm, say, so that the map for the team that was short would be up early evening rather than the following morning.

But I agree, you can't avoid that one team will have less time than the other if you want consistent days of the week, and sometimes that could reduce the time for regular orders...

connect4 wrote:I think that our friend Dunkel's point, though, was that there will be times where Group 2 has a move order, and thus only has 24 hours for a turn that normally has 48 hours (for instance, the Spring turn after a build may be very difficult to plan in advance).

Now if you have good players, it shouldn't matter, but you still run the possibility of a 1/2 length move compared to normal.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Previous

Return to Quadrophenia {All Maps Lost}