Baltic V--4/4--reserves welcome

GM: Willie900. Draw between Sweden (Diplomat42) and Russia (Hakhamanish)

Baltic V--4/4--reserves welcome

Postby Willie900 » 13 Nov 2011, 23:09

here it comes...the fifth installment for the great battle of the northern sea...four countries train their armies and build their fleets in order to take control. that's right! Baltic Five is here!

Starting Map:
RULES

1.0 Rules are the same as Standard Diplomacy unless amended below.

2.0 Canals and Sea Zones:
2.1 St. Petersburg & Goteborg acts in the same manner as Kiel and Constantonople in Standard Diplomacy.
2.2 Bolmen is a the only province with two coasts. Orders must specify which coast a fleet is occupying.
2.3 There is a canal connecting Vat to GoS. This is the "Gota Canal." This canal is used in the same manner as the Volga and Suez canals in the Modern variant.

3.0 Powers & Starting Positions:
Sweden- A Stockholm, F Sundsvall, F Goteborg
Finland- A Kuopio, F Helsingfors, F Vasa
Russia- A Minsk, F St. Petersburg, F Riga
Poland- A Warsaw, F Strulsund, F Danzig

4.0 Winning Conditions:
4.1 There are 22 total supply centers. For a solo win, 15 supply centers must be under the control of one power for a solo win. A draw must be voted for only by surviving powers

5.0 Neutrals:
5.1 "Cop" Copenhagen, Denmark; "Ron" Ronne, Bornholm Island; Malmo; "Sli" Slite, Gotland Island; Brest; Konigsberg, East Prussia; "Saa" Saaremaa Island; "Ala" Aland Island; Tallinn, Estonia; Tornio.

6.0 Sea Zones:
6.1 "Ska" Skaggerak; "Kat" Kattegat; "Sba" South Baltic; "Hab" Hano Bay; "GoS" Gulf of Stockholm; "Mba" Mid-Baltic; "Nba" North Baltic; "GoR" Gulf of Riga; "SGoB" South Gulf of Bothnia; "NGoB" North Gulf of Bothnia; "LPei" Lake Peipus; LLad" Lake Ladoga; "Van" Vanern; "Vat" Vattern.

7.0 Provinces:
7.1 All supply centers were named after the major city or town in that area. All non-supply centers are named after a major geographical occurrence in the area (i.e. lakes, rivers, mountains).

Time:

we will have 3/1/1 deadlines, with doubled first phase, and speed deadlines. if you want, mark orders as "provisional" and they will be "un-finalized"

Orders:
be sure to title orders "[Country]--Baltic V--[Phase+Date]--[Provisonal?]"

Country Selection:
Country Selection will be Blind Auction (http://www.playdiplomacy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=20967)

EDIT: forgot to say: NMR Policy:
NMR on the first turn means immediate booting
two NMRs in a row means immediate booting
three total NMRs mean immediate booting

if you need to withdraw from the game, please wait until we find a replacement so the game can trasition smoothly.

Players:
Paulus
rick.leeds
diplomat42
Hakhamanish

Reserves:
Palin
Pedros
Last edited by Willie900 on 17 Nov 2011, 05:19, edited 14 times in total.
Wow my signature used to be awful
Willie900

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (946)
All-game rating: (946)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Baltic V--0/4

Postby paulus » 13 Nov 2011, 23:55

Hello. I would like to play please. Many thanks in advance for your consideration in this matter.
Last edited by paulus on 14 Nov 2011, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
paulus

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)

Re: Baltic V--0/4

Postby Willie900 » 13 Nov 2011, 23:57

you can play, just don't say anything else about country preferences. we're doing Blind Auction, which means that you can't discuss your preferences with other players.
Willie900

Re: Baltic V--1/4

Postby diplomat42 » 14 Nov 2011, 00:16

I'd like to play, however, IIRC your rules differ from the last ones.

The St. Petersburg rule sounds right, but the way you're playing the Bolmen canal should be the same as St. Pete/Goteberg canals. (Goteberg is not addressed). I vote for the direct move rules with the limits. However, I think that the player in control of Bolmen can allow/disallow passage through the canal (same with St. Pete/Goteberg).

The Siljan inland rule makes absolutely NO sense--it should have 2 coasts.
Also if we're playing the canal rules I think Goteberg etc. should have 2 coasts 1 move away...

The Malmo/Copenhagen rules make sense--it's identical to Swe/Den in standard.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby rick.leeds » 14 Nov 2011, 00:21

Ah go on, sign me up... may as well use my time this way as any other.

By the way, did you refer to Baltic 4's rules? I'm not suggesting there are faults with anything you've suggested, or the map - or anything ;) - and I haven't played this variant yet, but I wondered if there was any mileage in looking there. (And if you have, that's fine too... just ignore me ;) I only asked because there Cop is also accessible to Strulsund by an army.)
World Diplomacy Forum.
Online Resources editor at the Diplomatic Pouch.
Don't let the stepladder get you. Watch where you're stepping. ANY step could be a doozy.
rick.leeds
Site Admin
Site Admin

Standard rating: (1158)
All-game rating: (1070)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Willie900 » 14 Nov 2011, 00:23

diplomat42 wrote:I'd like to play, however, IIRC your rules differ from the last ones.

The St. Petersburg rule sounds right, but the way you're playing the Bolmen canal should be the same as St. Pete/Goteberg canals. (Goteberg is not addressed). I vote for the direct move rules with the limits. However, I think that the player in control of Bolmen can allow/disallow passage through the canal (same with St. Pete/Goteberg).

The Siljan inland rule makes absolutely NO sense--it should have 2 coasts.
Also if we're playing the canal rules I think Goteberg etc. should have 2 coasts 1 move away...

The Malmo/Copenhagen rules make sense--it's identical to Swe/Den in standard.

because the VB rules don't address a lot of those provinces near the Swedish lakes, I took no "nc" or similar to indicate that it was impossible to move there on that coast, unless (like Stockholm's border with Gos and SGoB) it made no sense to restrict movement there. so I restricted movement to the "west coast" of Stockhom, "East Coast" of Goteborg, and the "coasts" of Siljan. I could change the rules so that any border with a sea province=coast there (e.g Stockholm borders Vat, Siljan is occupiable from Van and Vat, etc.)
Willie900

Postby diplomat42 » 14 Nov 2011, 00:24

NC=North Coast :D

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Postby Willie900 » 14 Nov 2011, 00:27

rick.leeds wrote:Ah go on, sign me up... may as well use my time this way as any other.

By the way, did you refer to Baltic 4's rules? I'm not suggesting there are faults with anything you've suggested, or the map - or anything ;) - and I haven't played this variant yet, but I wondered if there was any mileage in looking there. (And if you have, that's fine too... just ignore me ;) I only asked because there Cop is also accessible to Strulsund by an army.)

ooh! I didn't see that! thanks for it. I'll use those rules, they're a lot more complete.
Willie900

Postby Willie900 » 14 Nov 2011, 00:44

changed the map to reflect rule changes
Willie900

Re: Baltic V--2/4

Postby diplomat42 » 14 Nov 2011, 00:58

Thank you for the changes!

Definitely in! (i.e. SIGN ME UP!!!!!!!!!!!)

IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Next

Return to Game 5