Midnight August 3rd (amended)

Game for 7 set in riots in London over one night. Unusual rules! Devised by Andy Mansfield, introduced and GMd by Pedros. Winner: thewysecat (Nurses)

Midnight August 3rd (amended)

Postby Pedros » 17 Dec 2011, 17:36

Apologies. There are two amendments, one very significant, to the original adjudication. The Barbican move to Old Street should, of course, have succeeded with one support; the City Boys therefore have a retreat to make. And the Goers' unit in Leicester Square, which was attacked by Oxford Circus, should be visible. Thanks to Wyse for both of those. And I should remind those with revierside retreats that "normal movement rules apply" to those spaces, which means they cannot retreat to bridges if that is where the attacker came from.

Three events of note - firstly, the final hidden centre is found by the EastEnders in Hackney; secondly, the Police have their first successes (two of them) in pushing back the evil hordes; and thirdly diplomat's farewell is shown to have been premature. In fact, he still has two centres!

But the Royals have left town early for Christmas as Sandringham, and No Moves were Returned! The Nurses squad in Oxford Circus is destroyed with no retreat available, and retreats are needed from Nurses (Strand) and Royals (Victoria Embankment). I'm afraid I altered the colours on the map early - the retreats may be able to affect the count.

Retreats are due by 1530 GMT (1030 EDT) on Sunday 18 December

There are no hidden SCs remaining. The complete list of hidden centres will be posted with the original map when I've found it!

London nights.jpg
London nights.jpg (211.47 KiB) Viewed 1275 times

Police
St James Park support Waterloo Bridge - Victoria Embankment : Resolved
Waterloo Bridge (one unit) - Victoria Embankment : Resolved
Waterloo Bridge (second unit) - Strand : Resolved
Ludgate Hill support Waterloo Bridge (second unit) - Strand : Resolved
Moorgate support Ludgate Hill : Resolved
Cheapside - Qn Victoria St : Resolved
Cannon Street support Moorgate : Resolved
Cornhill support Moorgate : Resolved

Royals (WarSmith)
NMR : Victoria Embankment dislodged : Retreat

Nurses (thewysecat)
Barbican to Old St : Resolved
Goswell S Barbican to Old St : Resolved
2A BLB to Southbank : Resolved
Strand to Victoria Embankment : Bounced : Dislodged : Retreat
Leather Lane to Lincolns Inn : Resolved
Chancery Lane to High Holborn : Resolved
Covent Garden to Cambridge Circus : Bounced
Shaftsbury Avenue to Cambridge Circus : Bounced
Oxford Circus to Leicester Sq : Can't cut this : Dislodged: Destroyed
Bloomsbury to Tottenham Court Rd : Resolved
Grays Inn to Bloomsbury : Resolved
Somers Town to Gower Street : Resolved

City Boys diplomat42
Old St.-Finsbury Circus : Bounced : Dislodged: Retreat
Threadneedle St. S Old St.-Finsbury Circus : Move failed

East Enders (gordoncomstock)
Shoreditch - Hackney : Resolved

Liverpool St support Finsbury Circus to hold : Resolved
Finsbury St {Circus allowed} support Liverpool St to hold : Cut from Old St

St Saviours (3A) - Elephant and Castle : Resolved

Taxi Drivers (Palin)
St Pancras move Pentonville then move Kings Cross Rd : Resolved
Elephant and Castle move The Cut : Resolved

Theatre Goers (Kian)
Cambridge Circus – Oxford Circus : Resolved
Waterloo Bridge – Jubilee Gardens
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Midnight August 3rd (amended)

Postby Pedros » 17 Dec 2011, 20:15

On further reflection, and after private representations, I have concluded that my previous view, that retreats to bridges were illegal if the attacker came from the bridge, is probably incorrect. There is a contradiction between two statements in the rules:-

However, the normal movement rules apply to all spaces adjoining bridges.
and

Movement on to bridges always succeeds

I'm sure I've had a related discussion recently about what happens if a unit tries to leave the bridge to a space occupied by another unit, who orders to the same bridge; but I haven't been able to find it - if you recognise it do let me know. I feel instinctively that it must be wrong for a unit to be able to walk through the unit which is beating it (after all, the retreat is essentially simultaneous with the first phase - which is why you can't go to a contested space). Hence my original decision.

But "always" is an absolute word, so I withdraw that ruling.

I also wish to add that from now on, challenges to my view of the meaning of the rules (as opposed to the application of an understood rule) should be made publicly. This is because the view affects all players equally. This does not mean you cannot ask me what my view is about a move you're planning - just that it's take-it-or-leave-it until it becomes public. The Theatre Goers may also have difficulty with this because their argument may involve a hidden unit; in that case I will try to be flexible, but only if that is clearly the case; and I will in any case look for the first opportunity of publicising the ruling without revealing the unit concerned.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Retreats

Postby Pedros » 18 Dec 2011, 13:15

Retreats will be posted when I have them all

I have had representations also from both the Goers and the Nurses about the auto-destroy. If there had not been an auto-destroy then the Nurses could have tried to retreat to Goodge Street, which would stillhave failed, but the Goers unit there would have been revealed.

In my view, since it could be deduced from the destroy, this actually makes no difference. But since both sides wanted it, from now on there will be no auto-destroys. I have altered the movement phase map accordingly.
Pedros

Re: Midnight August 3rd (amended)

Postby WarSmith » 19 Dec 2011, 08:37

Apologies to everyone for the NMR. I had a very hectic few days with little or no time to access the site. I did login a couple of times - saw that I had messages which related to the 'retreat' from the following phase -and, wrongly assuming that they weren't messages for me I ignored them and resolved to check back in later, when the game would be in orders phase - little did I know that I was actually missing a whole orders phase.
Sorry all.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1754)
All-game rating: (1664)
Timezone: GMT+2

Retreats

Postby Pedros » 19 Dec 2011, 10:52

Sorry I'm late with this one.

City Boys: Old St - City Rd
Royals: Victoria Embankment - Waterloo Bridge
Nurses: Strand - - Waterloo Bridge

Builds for 00.15 4th August are due by 0900 GMT (0400 EDT) on Tuesday 20 December. The following four-day movement phase will be the last before Christmas - those of you who have warned me that close to Chrismas you have problems, get your orders in early. (Reminder - builds north of the river only - sorry Palin)

London nights.jpg
London nights.jpg (212.22 KiB) Viewed 1263 times

Builds/destroys
Royals: SCs north 6, SCs south 2, Units 7, builds 1, current game score 12
Nurses: SCs north 14, SCs south 1, Units 12, builds 3, current game score 14
City Boys: SCs north 1, SCs south 0, Units 2, destroys 1, current game score 0
East Enders: SCs north 7, SCs south 1, Units 6, builds 2, current game score 7
Taxi Drivers: SCs north 1, SCs south 2, Units 2, builds 1, current game score 2
Theatre Goers: SCs north 4, SCs south 1, Units 5, builds 0, current game score 4
Pedros

Return to London Nights {All Maps Lost}