London nights: Map, rules and discussion

Game for 7 set in riots in London over one night. Unusual rules! Devised by Andy Mansfield, introduced and GMd by Pedros. Winner: thewysecat (Nurses)

Re: London nights: Map, rules and discussion

Postby Pedros » 08 Nov 2011, 04:59

Agreed. Clock stopped - for the moment, no deadline. I think we should limit the pause to about 36 hours.

Just one thing though - I never equated this with FoW. I read the rules and interpreted them, as I saw, strictlly as I found them. They are (obviously) not very well drafted, which is why we have had the problems.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby WarSmith » 08 Nov 2011, 07:43

For simplicity's sake, I'd prefer the theatre goers to just play under FoW rules. It would give them an advantage which is roughly equivalent to the other parties.
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1754)
All-game rating: (1664)
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby Pedros » 08 Nov 2011, 17:20

I don't know what that would mean WarSmith. Other players would know their whereabouts when they were next to the Goers? But that's clearly not what the rule says. And it would mean separate mps for each player, which isn't on offer!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby WarSmith » 08 Nov 2011, 18:30

Sorry, I didnt mean the whole FOW set of benefits, more the lack of published orders and hidden units if not involved in conflict...that's pretty much how I'd (incorrectly) interpreted the original rules...
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth even has a chance to put its pants on”
WarSmith
Premium Member

Postby Pedros » 08 Nov 2011, 19:52

But that's not FoW! Units aren't hidden if they're adjacent as well.

I'd like to hear (privately so as not to give away anything more!) how Kian thought I should have reported his set of orders this time.
Pedros

Postby Pedros » 09 Nov 2011, 05:31

The 36 hours is almost over, so I think it's time for me to say how I see it.

There's nobody really arguing that the support order should be reported, so I think I should carry on along those lines. I'm still not sure what Kian meant by "the way Pedros chose to report ...", but one thing is that I won't in future report the number of supporters for the Goers moves. I also realised as I was drawing the last map that it would give away information if I started colouring the non-SCs s units moved into them; I won't be doing that (doesn't make any difference to the game anyway.)

Unless there's a sudden rush of contributions and a strong demand otherwise, the deadline will now be 1800 GMT (1400 EDT - are you still on EDT over there? and 2200 Beijing) on Thursday 10 November.
Pedros

Postby WarSmith » 09 Nov 2011, 10:33

Actually, I'm on Pacific Time! -8 from you, and we just rolled back an hour on sunday by the way....
WarSmith
Premium Member

Postby Pedros » 09 Nov 2011, 11:37

WarSmith wrote:Actually, I'm on Pacific Time! -8 from you, and we just rolled back an hour on sunday by the way....

Got it!
Pedros

Postby thewysecat » 09 Nov 2011, 15:10

For the sake of this game and the community in this game I will accept this ruling and get on with it.

Nonetheless, this ruling is - in my view - a reversal of the previous ruling that T-goer units in conflict will be shown on map and their orders published. That was not a ruling I favoured but it's meaning seemed clear enough to me.

So contrary to this statement:

Pedros wrote: There's nobody really arguing that the support order should be reported

For the record, I object. Orders were entered based on one ruling and post-resolution we have another. That isn't how it should be.
"Of all the things I have known myself to be, I never recognized the fool."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atuNdPgM8eY
thewysecat

Standard rating: (1518)
All-game rating: (1526)
Timezone: GMT-4

Postby Pedros » 09 Nov 2011, 19:16

Sorry Wyse, but I don';t agree. I don't know why we're seeing this so differently, but there we are.

For the record, my intention at least, prior to the last phase, was to report conflict orders only relating to the unit ordered to move; if the disucssion at some point related to support units then I apologise, but I don't recall it. The issue of support orders only occurred to me when preparing to publish the orders for last phase.
Pedros

PreviousNext

Return to London Nights {All Maps Lost}