Judging interest in France vs Austria Tournament

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

Judging interest in France vs Austria Tournament

Postby TTBen » 19 Jan 2018, 21:54

WHAT: France vs Austria 1 v 1 tournament via the 2 player challenge

WHEN: TBA but with enough interest and lack of issues found in this preliminary research I’d think we can start in February getting official signups

GAME LENGTHS: I am going to request that these games be set as 24-24-24 turns so that even players who only check in once a day can play, hopefully many people will utilize the finalize button so that they can go quicker but it will not be required.

FORMAT/# of Players: I am proposing since this format is relatively new and different that rather than a traditional single elimination bracket or even double elimination that all players are initially placed in a pool of 4 players where they will play a set (one game as Austria, one game as France) against each of the other players and then each player is ranked in their pool based on these results.

The top players from pool play will advance to the next round, the single elimination bracket championship round. Exact numbers advancing to the championship bracket will depend on the total number of entries received but I would ensure at least 50 percent of pool play advances and possibly more so that I can keep the bracket as even as possible and not have to use byes.

It will be absolutely mandatory that we have signups in multiples of 4, I do not have an intention to play in my own tournament and would only do so if it was necessary to fill out a multiple of 4. In the event that 1 or 2 signups exist without enough to form a group by signup deadline then a maximum of 24 hours can be added to seek entries to fill final groups at the TDs sole discretion (what makes set up easiest—if I’m siting on 62 it’s in my best interest to get 2 more, if I’m sitting on 65 that 1 extra is a logistical headache anyways). If someone must be dropped then the last to sign up are the ones dropped.

POOL SEEDING:The seeding for your pool play will be based on your gunboat game rating the day the final signups are taken. The players will then be ranked and divided into groups of 4 based on this ranking. If for example there are 48 players signed up then players 1, 24, 25 and 48 become pool A , players 2, 23, 26, 47 are pool B, etc. There is no prearranged matchup among pools for the bracket, so whether you are pool a, b, c or x it doesn’t matter this is just a way to balance the pools.

SCHEDULING OF POOL PLAY GAMES It certainly helps timing that 2 player challenge games are limited to 12 years but timing of games finishing will still be inexact. Once pools are announced I will post a google sheet that also gives you the 3 waves of matches that need to be played and my expected order. I will give 1 month to complete each wave, if you are done sooner great, but still having your first games going on will not be an excuse not to start the second set on time and likewise on the third set

TIEBREAKERS WITHIN POOL PLAY
Because I don’t want to see the entire tournament on hold while tiebreaker games are being played just to determine seeding I will use a tiebreak +/- year won. All 2 player challenge games end after 12 years so a game ending in 1912 is a 0 win or loss. A game won in 1908 is +4 and a game lost in 1910 is -2, etc. If a game was conceded the year it was conceded is still considered the year it was won.

If ties still are not broken the TD will use their authority to place the teams into the bracket that best avoids repeat matchups from pool play for as long as possible. The one exception being is if the tie is to determine the last player in the bracket. If that is the case then a tiebreak game will be played, and the higher ranked gunboat player the day the tie is discovered is Austria in this single game.

CHAMPIONSHIP BRACKET: All championship bracket matchups will be effectively best of 3 contests. The “better” seed will be Austria in game 1 and game 3 if it is necessary. The “worse” seed will be Austria in game 2.

Most important now is to grill me, look for holes and things I need to address to make this successful. I have run contests at other places but this is my first attempt at PlayDip.
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1123
All-game rating: 1928
Timezone: GMT-6

Re: Judging interest in France vs Austria Tournament

Postby mhsmith0 » 19 Jan 2018, 23:22

would be interested

i.e. ego until i have time to read closer :P
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby b1wein » 20 Jan 2018, 01:15

Interested
Bronze Classicist. Always interested in short (2 day orders or less) games. If you need people, PM me!
Currently playing in Heptarchy 14.
b1wein

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (847)
All-game rating: (863)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby patrunner99 » 20 Jan 2018, 01:44

Am interested.
patrunner99

Standard rating: (967)
All-game rating: (972)
Timezone: GMT

Postby patrunner99 » 20 Jan 2018, 01:51

Are you doing wild cards? For example, if there are 48 players, would the top of every pool, plus the four best non-pool-leaders be in the champ bracket, to make an even 16?
patrunner99

Postby patrunner99 » 20 Jan 2018, 02:19

Two more questions:

How would seeds be assigned for players who are not premium members, and don't have access to gunboat games? Would they be based on two player challenges?

Also related to seeds, for the championship, would seeds be based upon original pool seeds, how well people did in the pools, or a combination of all three?

If I come up with any more questions, I'll be sure to ask them.
patrunner99

Postby TTBen » 20 Jan 2018, 04:12

patrunner99 wrote:Are you doing wild cards? For example, if there are 48 players, would the top of every pool, plus the four best non-pool-leaders be in the champ bracket, to make an even 16?

“numbers advancing to the championship bracket will depend on the total number of entries received but I would ensure at least 50 percent of pool play advances and possibly more so that I can keep the bracket as even as possible and not have to use byes.”

So yes most certainly there are wildcards. I need a better idea of how many will play and then I’ll do a formal mapping of if x entries then bracket is y size

How would seeds be assigned for players who are not premium members, and don't have access to gunboat games? Would they be based on two player challenges?

Oversight here on my part forgetting that I was told non-premium would be eligible to play, as long as that stands than just replace gunboat ranking with Standard games ranking so that all players have one.

Also related to seeds, for the championship, would seeds be based upon original pool seeds, how well people did in the pools, or a combination of all three?

How players did in their pool solely (see tiebreakers within pool play)
Inactive PbF GM (choosing to focus on other things)
Organizer for PDL 2021
TTBen
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1123
All-game rating: 1928

Postby brianp307 » 20 Jan 2018, 07:27

I’d be interested in playing. Thanks for taking on the challenge of organizing!
brianp307

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1019)
All-game rating: (1304)

Postby StarkAdder » 20 Jan 2018, 15:35

Count me in, too. Have only tried the F vs A format once but am intrigued by giving it several more goes,
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1226
All-game rating: 1014
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby machor » 20 Jan 2018, 16:18

I would like to play, count me in
machor
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador