Gunboat Tournament 2018

Compete in a Tournament game hosted on PlayDiplomacy.

Gunboat Tournament 2018

Postby mhsmith0 » 10 Jan 2018, 00:01

I'm interested in resurrecting the gunboat tournament format from what I'd run in 2016:

Tournament Structure

Organizers:
Tournament Director (mhsmith0):
Other organizers and/or tournament board: TBD, please let me know if interested. Depending on size, it may or may not be necessary.

# Players:
TBD. Must be at least 7, can potentially be indefinitely high.
Please note that per site rules, all players must be premium status in order to sign up.

Timing:
To join the main roster, sign up by {DATE TBD}. Preferably by DM, but replies in this thread are fine too. Signups after that point will be reserves.

There will be new functionality for tournament directors to set up games and assign players to individual powers, so this will HOPEFULLY be automatic and one of the more annoying aspects of the last tournament will be eliminated.

If anyone would like to volunteer as a reserve before the starting deadline (for instance, if you want to play gunboat but with a reduced game load), or if anyone signs up as a reserve after the deadline, please notify me directly via DM. Do NOT post to this board to that effect. The reason for this is anonymity protection.

If you are a reserve, please let me know BEFORE assignments are sent out if you would like to receive a couple of starting position assignments or if you would only like to be considered to fill in for NMR's / surrenders. This offer is intended to make sure that reserves are able to be guaranteed at least one "normal" game in the tournament instead of only being asked to fill in for ongoing games. Please note that if you ask for starting assignments, you are NOT allowed to select which starting powers you are assigned, and you are NOT allowed to reject your assignments and remain a participating member of the tournament. I will try to make any such assignments reasonably balanced (so you wouldn't see one reserve start with R and T and another with I and A), but NO promises will be made, considered or honored for specific power assignment preferences.

Also for reserves, spots in the main rotation (in the event of non-confirms) are first come, first served. I will try and get reserves into the main group provided they sign up early enough, but I make no promises to that effect.

Tournament Scoring
The scoring system is the default scoring system of the website, where:
A solo is worth 12 points,
2-way is worth 6 points,
3 way is worth 4 points,
4 way is worth 3 points,
5, 6 and 7-ways or eliminations will result in 0 points
Surrender will result in -2 points and might be further penalized on the discretion of the Tournament Organizer(s).

Rounds:
In each round, everyone gets seven games, one as each power. The number of games will correspond to the number of players. The number of rounds will depend on the number of players:
7-10 players: one round (if it's 8-10 players, each player will have one or more games that they won't participate in)
11-21 players: two rounds
22-35 players: three rounds
etc
Please note that these values may be subject to change, especially if players indicate that they have a preference towards higher or lower numbers of rounds.

Round eliminations:
At least half of the players will likely be eliminated every round (unless the result is fewer than seven players remaining). The final round will have no more than eight players (unless there's just one round). The exact schedule of how big each round will be shall be decided once the total number of participants is known. Tiebreakers for eliminations and for final placement will be based on:

Points scored in the round
Points scored the prior round
Points scored by opponents in the round (since draws won't likely be perfectly neutral)

Presuming that there are no penalties and that all games are scored as solos or ties of 2-4 powers, then the mean number of points per participant should be 12. As a reasonable rule of thumb, if exactly half of the players will be eliminated in a given round, the cut line is likely going to be around 12. If more than half of the players are eliminated, the cut line will likely be above 12, and if less than half of the players are eliminated (this only potentially applies for the next to last round), the cut line will likely be below 12.

Also please note that if there are reserves who participate in some number fewer than seven games, they will be evaluated in a reasonable manner. This will likely involve scaling results achieved upwards to seven games, with some sort of penalty attached to the scaling. As a simple example, a reserve who plays one game and gets a 4-way draw (simple scaling = 21 points) would not be considered superior to a regular player who has one loss, four 4-way draws and two 3-way draws (total of 20 points), but would be considered superior to a player who had three losses and four 4-way draws (12 points).

Game Settings
All games will be
• Game type: gunboat
• Stats: ranked
• Public: no (Anonymous)
• Variants: Classic
Deadlines:
• orders every 24 hours
• retreat every 12 hours
• build every 12 hours
• Weekends on (since it's gunboat and there's less necessary communication)
Other
• DIAS (draws include all survivors), secret ballot

Game Signups
Each round, every player will be given assigned seven different games, one for each power. This SHOULD be an automatic process (the tournament will not start until this functionality exists).

If you have a personal, career or other compelling reason to leave the game, please inform the Tournament Director, who will assign a player from the waiting list to finish your game. You will receive 0 points under the tournament scoring system for that game, but will be allowed to keep the points generated from games that have already finished. You will be allowed to continue the tournament. The player who takes over for you and is assigned by the Tournament Director will receive the full points under the tournament scoring system and our eternal gratitude. A reasonable policy will be made for evaluating substitutes for potential advancement.

Takeovers by friends, relatives and your girlfriend will result in a punishment decided by the Tournament Director/Board.

Please also note that we will NOT force reserves to take over obviously non-viable positions from surrendered players. That would be grossly unfair to the reserve players, since these games are ranked and count for more than just tournament positioning. Our hope is that this never comes up; we do realize that this is potentially unfair for some of the players in a game, but the same is true for any ranked game.

Anonymity Protection:
Anonymity for unfinished games is obligatory. If you reveal your identity or that of someone else at any point before the end of the game, you will suffer penalties at the discretion of the Tournament Board.

In addition, active tournament participants MAY NOT discuss any unfinished games that they are participating in, and should not discuss so many other games that it becomes obvious which games they are in. No one (including non-participants) may publicly speculate on which players are in which unfinished games as which powers. Please note that "unfinished games" refers to the game's official finish, NOT the tournament's "if a game isn't over by 19xx, all survivors participate in the draw" rule.

In order for tournament games to be allowed to be counted as ranked, anonymity protection is vital. We will take violations of anonymity VERY seriously, with penalties including, but are not limited to, points penalties, elimination from a round or the whole tournament, or other board sanctions

To clarify, it is NOT mandatory that you stay anonymous about your participation in the tournament, or your participation in games that have already finished. However, it IS mandatory that you stay anonymous about your participation in individual unfinished games, as well as any other participants' participation.

Also, please note that, by participating in the tournament, you accept that some loss of anonymity is inevitable. The tournament participants are known, and since it's one game per power, as games start to finish, people can eventually get an idea which powers you may be in remaining games. While we make an effort to protect anonymity to the extent possible given these constraints, it will by nature not be perfect anonymity.

I may add some additional language in this section relating to the board discussion of the ongoing tournament and what is and is not allowed.

Prizes
Awards will include the following:
• Tournament Champion will go to the points winner of the final round
• Second through Seventh places will go to the six players, not counting the Tournament Champion, who have the highest scores in the final round (if there are eight finalists, then it will be Second through Eighth places)
• Best Country Awards will go to the players with the individual best performances with each of the seven powers. This will be calculated based on the average performance of that power over the course of the tournament. However, players will only be eligible for this if they've made it to at least the second round (so no cheap award for a 3-way tie as Italy in the one time playing as them)
• Other prizes to be disclosed and awarded during or after the tournament by the Tournament Director/Board.

Consolation Rounds
If there is interest, we may organize consolation rounds for players who did not advance.

Board Assignments (“Board Draw”)
Players will be assigned to the boards by the tournament director during prior to the start of each round. For the first round, assignments will be made randomly with an eye towards giving players a wide exposure to a high number of other tournament participants. In the finals, assignments will be made randomly.
In intermediate rounds (other than the finals), matchups may be set up with some form of seeding structure/preference. Since draws will not be perfectly balanced, and the advancement system is set up to minimize the impact of prior rounds' performance, I consider it reasonable so that the overall quality in each game (based on prior performance) is relatively even.
As a simple example, in a theoretical 10-person second round, the draw could be set up so that all players play each other 4 or 5 times. In such a case, the draw structure would be set up so that "high seeds" would generally face each other four times, and generally face the lower seeds five times. Please note that this is NOT necessarily how the actual structure would necessarily work, but is instead an illustrative example designed to describe how such a situation may work.

Game Length
The first round games will end in 1915 if there is no winner by that point. In such case, results will be calculated as DIAS (draws including all survivors).
The second round games will end in 1920 if there is no winner by that point. In such case, results will be calculated as DIAS (draws including all survivors).
Games in subsequent rounds, as well as the final round (even if that is the first or second round) will have no length limits.

Adjudication.
The PlayDiplomacy judge will adjudicate each phase. Where possible, players are encouraged to ask the Tournament Director for clarifications of rules prior to conflicts arising.

Game conclusion.
The game ends when one player owns 18 centers at the end of a fall turn. Additionally, the game may end at any time if all of the surviving players agree by vote to stop playing and declare a draw. Only players who still control one or more supply centers may participate in the decision to end the game.

For tournament scoring purposes, the game may also end if the time limit is reached and the game is still going (the game will not go final, but the points for the tournament will). Note: this only applies to the first two rounds at the most.

Tournament Violations
Any violations to the tournament rules will be resolved by the Tournament Director/Board. Punishments will be issued to the violating parties at the discretion of the Tournament Director/Board and include, but are not limited to, points penalties, elimination from a round or the whole tournament, and even from the website if they contradict the rules of the website (the last one would be decided by board admins, not by me).

Other Logistics and Key Points

If you sign up, you are COMMITTING to staying the course for at least the duration of the first round. Players are welcome to withdraw when rounds are over if they feel they cannot commit to future rounds, and replacements for the following round entries may be drawn from either reserves or top players who did not make the cut, per organizer discretion. Players may also withdraw their names before the tournament signup deadline closes and game assignments are made.
Proud holder of the Superior Tophat of Solving, an item entrusted with the forum's most prominent smartass
mhsmith0

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1269)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Gunboat Tournament 2018

Postby NJLonghorn » 10 Jan 2018, 00:19

I'm in. I've never played gunboat, but I imagine (and hope) the games are much less of a time suck.
Classicists, Aspiring Bronze Silver Gold Bronze Member
I have never surrendered and never NMR'd, and hope to keep that alive. Never mind, the perfect run has come to an end. Dammit, DAMMIT, DAMMIT.
NJLonghorn

Standard rating: (1171)
All-game rating: (1439)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Uffington Horse » 10 Jan 2018, 01:16

I'm in
Uffington Horse
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1030
All-game rating: 1296
Timezone: GMT+9

Postby Custer » 10 Jan 2018, 03:55

I'd play if you could make it 24/24/24. 12s is just too much. Every NMR I've had was a 12 deadline.

The SHIV
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1095
All-game rating: 1044
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Custer » 10 Jan 2018, 03:56

With finalize too of course, then it won't go 24. Not from me anyway. Maybe 16, 17 or 18.
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack! And behold the power of cheese!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in Da U.P. in Da Whitehawk and an original Yooper!
Standard rating: 1095
All-game rating: 1044
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to PlayDip Tournaments