AARs

GM: Pedros. Winner: asudevil (Russia)

AARs

Postby Pedros » 28 Dec 2011, 14:45

This one, I think, should be interesting!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Re: AARs

Postby Flatley » 28 Dec 2011, 15:23

I am very interested to hear what other nations submit. I will wait to hear from others before submitting mine.
The enemy's gate is down.

Don't go thinkin' you so bad jes cuz you was in SOLDIER.

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
Flatley

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby asudevil » 28 Dec 2011, 16:41

I suppose I should go first...Since I am the victor.

I will try to make this detailed, but yet not boring.

First off this was my first forum game that is finished. I started WW4 before this one, but heck that one is only in year 6 and there are still 25 countries alive. I was intrigued by the set up of extra players and extra SC's. Also, with Pedros GM'ing I knew some of the issues with GM's bailing that I had seen wouldnt be an issue with this game.

So I suppose the first decision I had to make was who I would want to be. I went all out for Russia. I figured that if it was my first game. I may as well get the extra unit to start with. I figured that Norway would have a hard time flanking STP. I saw PRU and SIL getting split between me and Germany, and figured that RUM would fall my way. So an easy 2 builds and the extra unit to begin with was a good place to start.

Then we head into 01. I messaged with everyone although most people on the western half of the map didn't really talk to me too much. I was approached immediately by Turkey in 01 about a Juggernaut. He had already talked to Norway about it being a super-Jug and going for a three way draw. I was never totally sold on going for a 3way draw in this game, but I knew that if I could keep Norway on my side and pestering England instead of myself...I would be able to control his growth and then take him out later. 01 pretty much turned out as I had figured. I split PRU/SIL with Germany...while France made himself an enemy of Germany by taking MUN, so Germany never really had a chance to really come at me. I had prevented anyone from hating me, and both Austria and England thought I would help them against Norway and Turkey. Also convincing Norway that PRU was mine and not even a discussion was big for my long term ability.

We head into 02 with my first major gaffe. Austria gained 2 SC...BUT FORGOT TO BUILD...I wanted to break into GAL in spring so I could really pressure Austria with Turkey in fall, before he got his act together. However, I tried to move to far and came up way short. Austria freaked out and started to realize that I was going to be gunning for him. However, I got lucky and Germany NMR'd so I was able to make a gain in 02 by taking out SIL as Germany decided that after his NMR he would have to give up SIL to take back MUN. He wasnt too offended by my taking of SIL because he had Norway and France breathing down his neck. I was also able to convince Turkey that I should get the first gain of Austria's by taking SERB. I still dont know why Maucat agreed to this because he stayed at 4, while I was able to jump to 8. This was my first thought that perhaps I may be able to solo this. I didnt know where I was heading yet, but I had thoughts.

We head into 03. My first year without a build, although I was able to get some better positioning. Turkey allowed me into BLA and I was able to move an army into RUM. STP had nothing better to do ever so continued to support NWY to hold. I had nothing good to do with it, but I think my continued support of him (even though it was a nothing move for me) made Norway continue to work with me despite me growing and him staying the same. This year I worked on getting my allies into SC's so that they didnt realize how much bigger I was than them. The NMR's of France and Germany played a huge role in my ability to secure the middle. By this year I started to try and reach out to Spain realizing that he would probably be the main power in the west. Also, I continued to make suggestions to everyone on how best to play. Although they were good moves for them, they were also good moves for me, because they were always having them head away from me.

We head into 04. Austria NMR'd although it didnt really matter since I had started talking to Italy about dividing up the rest of Austria's possessions. Luckily for me although Turkey and I were running hard on Austria, his fleet slipped behind Italy's line to tie up some of Italy's home SCs. Convincing Turkey and Austria to bounce Italy out of his home SC's as Austria gained Rome and Naples without being able to build was a great way to keep Italy weak and Turkey feeling positive. I was able to snag both of Austria's home SC's while simultaneously assisting Turkey into TRI. This knocked both Austria and Italy down (and basically out) in one year. Also, after helping Norway into 2 of Germany's home SC's he was willing to help me take the third. I got 3 builds this year, but was only able to use 2. The ability to store builds was a nice luxury so that even if I lost something I wouldnt actually have to destroy. Also during this year there was a motion to cede the game to me. I was surprised but started to think that I may have a shot at the win instead of just a draw.

05 was a fascinating year. Maucat (who at the time I was still looking at 2manning with...sorry Morg, you were never really a long term ally.) decided that after missing build again, he would leave the game. That was the season that I knew I would be running for a solo. He bailed and told me first that he wanted me to take everything he had. Who was I to decline?... Haroonriaz came into the game and I told him of how well me and Maucat was working together. He looked at the moves and how well we had destroyed Austria. He also looked at the fact that I had stayed true even after Maucat missed the previous build phase. This was the year that I had to do the best talking to him. I convinced Morg that we would 2man the game and that he should also tell the new Turkey how well we worked together. I would give him MUN and head south into Turkey. Sorry haroonriaz, you deserved better, but my allegiance was to Maucat, and you were just too tempting of a target. I convinced Turkey to head full steam into the Med while I knew that I would be able to sneak down into BUL and ANK without contest if he believed me for just ONE season. Luckily for me he did and I was able to take 3 of Turkey's centers (while only losing one of mine). However, the teamwork that occurred from the rest of the board this season made me start to think that this game may not be quite as easy as I had thought. Up until this time I dont think too many people had been communicating quite as well, and Spain/England/Norway were still fighting each other instead of realizing I was already at 13. Also I made a stupid stab into NWY and BERL to try to get myself up to 16 so that the rest of the board would just cede the victory to me. However, it backfired and caused the rest of the map to unify against me.

06 was a brutal year for me. People were lying to me left and right. Flatley told me he wanted to help me. Boomsticks said he just wanted the game to be over. I was thinking that this would be good cause everyone wanted to work with me to help me win... But alas, they were all liars. I suppose its what I deserved after all the lying I had done to get to this point. I was able to still grow in the south and after the spring move of realizing the world was against me I had to find someone to crack in the alliance. Boomsticks seemed the logical choice. I played to his pride because he didnt want to accept the draw since we hadnt fought yet. I showed him how he was able to jump 3 builds to get within a couple of me. I supported him into 2 SC's and prayed that the rest of the board would be mad enough at him to start to turn around at his betrayal instead of the unified front that I was facing. I got lucky and France ended up doing exactly this. Also, although he would get within a couple, since I gained another SC as well I was still 5 ahead of him.

07 forced France to make a choice and at least keep something back to defend against an aggressive England. I was able to take VEN which was the tipping point because I always saw VEN as my 20th SC to get the win. I was able to just keep plugging away down south against Turkey to get builds to shore up wherever my weaknesses were. Norway also decided to help me out by leaving Berlin. England NMR'd which allowed me to take MUN and NWY which was a surprise to me but allowed me to get up to 19. My communication by the end of the game was lacking, as is evident by the lengths of my paragraphs here.

08 was our final year and Morg again contacted me about helping me finish the game up. He asked whether I wanted him to support me in NWY or move to allow me to retreat there. I asked him to move so I could retreat there because I knew that I would lose NWY even if he supported me to hold. I retreated to SWE, so it wasnt really a loss, and then Morg was able to support me to hold in SWE I was able to guess correctly Boomsticks final move on STP to force a bounce.

So I think I was able to win because of 3 key things. The NMR's of France and Germany in the early game. Maucat leaving in the mid-game which made me realize that I was going to go for the solo. And finally being able to convince Boomsticks to stab Norway and Spain to break apart the alliance against me.

If anyone has any questions I will be happy to answer them. I hope that this AAR wasnt too long and boring for you guys. It was my first one...and I didnt know exactly what to write?
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby asudevil » 28 Dec 2011, 21:33

Im very interested in hearing others AAR's hopefully with the actual site down, we can get some decent ones. I really want to hear from Morg, Boomsticks, Maucat (if we can get him in here), Flatley, diplomat...and of course our distinguished leader Pedros.

No offense to anyone I didnt mention, but you were either here too short of time, or I just didnt really interact with you much.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby stalin813 » 29 Dec 2011, 07:12

Italy's AAR

I went all in on playing as Turkey in this game. I really feel, I would have done the same deal as Maucat and tried the juggernaut on the board. However, I lost my bid and was relegated to Italy. Not an ideal location. I first negotiated with Germany/Austria to create the Central alliance. This was a great plan and I think given time, really would have worked, but Austria missed its first build and Germany NMR'd in year 2 effectively killing this alliance and leaving me scrambling. I had agreed to split France with Spain and this quickly became my target, but that was only a short term gain. With Austria weakened, I was forced to attack and hoped to gain Russia as a new ally. With no other real option, I sealed my fate. I am happy to have survived to the end, but when Russia and Turkey took two Autrian centers from me, I was done. Great game Asudevil! I wish the center alliance could have worked and not been stumbled by NMRs.
Best to get me at night (8pm to 12pm EDT)
stalin813

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (982)
All-game rating: (1279)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Morg » 29 Dec 2011, 11:26

Once again I miss the boat, oh well I'll quote it here in case anyone missed it on the other thread.

Yeah, Norway's AAR...

So at the beginning I was looking at the map and thought it's so simple as Norway... Get a good relationship with Germany, then take out either Britain or Russia leaving you with 2 fronts instead of 3. That is part of the reason I requested that Denmark not border Berlin. HA! That didn't work.

So immediately Russia begins a dialog, shortly thereafter Britain starts working up a plan. Meanwhile my message to Germany outlining the plan that I had planned on leaves my outbox with no reply for a while. So I begin plans to take out Germany with Russia and maintain a decent relationship with Britain. Germany finally responds to my initial plan and agrees, Aghhh.... So I'm left with a choice of the plan that I wanted or the plans that I made. Irritating but I decide that the length of time Germany took between reading and responding was suspiciously long and I stick with my plans that I made.

Spring 01: Everything is backwards. Britain stabs me (we agreed to DMZ North Sea) and Germany was loyal. So not fully knowing whether Russia is loyal or not I ask him to support Norway against the invading British units from North and Norwegian. He does and it starts a solid working relationship.

Meanwhile I still have Germany and Britain to juggle. I've committed to fighting Germany and really don't expect him to see it any different so I maintain that front, while I try to convince Britain to return to the plan he originally told me, which was that he would go after France. He does, begging forgiveness along the way.

Next after France and Germany finally fall, I want to get Britain and Spain actively fighting, if they commit to a war, then I can sneak in the back route, which is what I was planning that fateful NMR. I had planned to swipe Holland away from Britian right then and success would've been mine, but NMR. Oops .

Meanwhile Spain is raising heck over Russia's quick early advance and attempting to rally the troops. Just one problem, they'd have to rally through me and I'd either have to join Russia as he takes on the world (likely allowing him gains while I stall) or join the alliance and let Britain into my backdoor. I really didn't like either option. But seeing the writing on the wall, that Russia knew individuals were about to throw the game to him (I figured Russia would take chances he didn't have to take in order to encourage people to stay in the game) and that he didn't allow me into Munich as planned, I knew Russia was planning a stab and was going to take Berlin away. Spain and Turkey wanted me to support Turkey into Munich, which I hated since I knew I was going to lose Berlin and would lose a unit. So I took my chances and tried to hold Berlin against all odds. I worked and Turkey made it into Munich, ahh.

But Britain was back in the North and Norwegian Seas again. I didn't like it because if I moved against Russia, Britain would have an avenue to walk right through me. And Spain's promise of exacting punishment on whoever broke the alliance was not as reassuring as he hoped it would be. I was hoping to take Prussia by convoy and get a little potential going on for me in central Europe, but Britain was right at my back. So I told him I would support him into Barents to get him permanently out of the North and Britain took his opportunity to stab.

At this point, seeing myself out of the picture, only capable of a whithering disappearance, I decided to take Britain to task for his stab, rather than keep Russia away from victory. At least if I help Russia, Norway could still be active at the end of the game, rather than dying out 4 years before the game ends.

And so Russia and I worked closely together for the second time. I making sure he could take British territory and had a spot in Sweden to retreat to and helping create further opportunities for him; He taking advantage of those opportunities opened up in the North to gain the decisive 20 SCs.

Norway in this game pretty much went about in a stalled advance into Germany, and furitively attempted to prevent being stabbed (twice successful, third time foreseen but unsuccessful).

Oh yeah... Almost forgot. GG Asudevil.

And in case anyone reads my AAR as anything otherwise, I actually really liked this game. I was full of frustration and suspense, as any good Dip game should be. Thanks to everyone.
"He says there are no easy answers. I say he's not looking hard enough!"
Morg

Standard rating: (1428)
All-game rating: (1561)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby BoomstickS » 29 Dec 2011, 12:56

Okay, here's Englands AAR (I suck at AAR writing so don't expect alot of good..)

In the first season Asudevil contacted me pretty fast, suggesting I would take Nwy, Sweden and a few other things I had forgotten. The idea was to work down after we mopped up Norway, I agreed to this, but pretty much left me nowhere. I had also contacted Norway for a DMZ in the North Sea, and with France a DMZ in the English Channel. After Asudevils choice of helping Norway instead of me I had gone with the choice of giving him a as hard as possible time winning. (At this time I didn't expect him to get so powerfull though)

Next year I only had 3 SC's, but I wasn't too afraid, France was having problems, and so was Germany. I begged Morg for forgiveness and we moved on and I gained Ireland and Holland that year. (There wasn't really too much happening afaik)

3rd year Spain (Flatley) suggested me that I, Norway and Spain should make a 3-way-alliance. I didn't like this idea and was discussing it behind Flatley's back with Morg. I didn't like getting isolated and I couldn't get any new SC's if I had agreed. I instead attacked Spain, and started a very slow war.

I was fortunate for Spain and Norway NMR'ing, I had a feeling Morg had gone for a stab, but I couldn't do anything against it. I was very fortunate.
I had after some time gained the upperhand in Spain, a fleet in Nav, and fleets ready to hop in Mid. But then we all agreed on mobilising the board against Russia, I was very disappointed of this, because I would have wanted a new SC or two.. But I agreed to everything and my intention was to help the board as much as possible..

But then Asudevil sent me a message saying I could take Nwy, Mun and Den this year, with his help. I couldn't resist, and I stabbed my short term (unwilling) allies. After taking 3 SC's I had begged Flatley for forgiveness and we still cooperated. I think that this was both a gain and a loss, for me taking Norway and Denmark was worth it, but taking Munich kind of f-cked over Turkey's position, the only real resistance down south. I also went for the stab because I knew Norway wanted to stab me, I didn't want to risk him getting strong enough, and I gaining nothing. Morg was a iron curtain between me and Russia. And I wanted to end this game strong, and not as a side-player, as I had been for all the game, untill the end.

Asudevil suggested I would attack Kiel, and him taking Munich, I didn't like the idea, but I said yes, and I went to attack Kiel, I had nothing to support Munich anyways. Then I NMR'ed, it would have had a pretty big impact if I had sent my orders, I wouldn't have lost Nwy, and Munich was a lost cause, but I had then been able to not destroy anything, and I wouldn't have let him into Norway, I think that if he hadn't gotten it the game would have still been running now.

The last year (if I remember correctly) I said to Asudevil that I wanted the game to be over, and I wouldn't attack him and I would let him into my provinces, I lied. I tried PM'ing Flatley, he didn't respond so I thought it was all up to me. I planned a (sucessfull) attack on Nwy, and then move up on St. Petersburg, gladly Flatley responded once again, we planned out a few things and I had confidence, but one uncertainty, Norway. He could either help Russia to the end or help himself and gain Sweden again. I did expect Norway to help Russia attack Kiel (that's why I cut support from Ska), but didn't expect the move Russia made, but I couldn't do anything against it, the bounce, and there the game ended..

Last notes:

My diplomacy was terrible, I never gained a trustworthy ally throughout the game.
I made a few bad moves wich I shouldn't have made.

GG to Asudevil for the solo, I had, though, hoped for a 3-way-draw (Flatley, you, me), when we could have made the necessary stalemate, but I couldn't get further than Norway and Stp, so it didn't work out as I had hoped. Anyways, GG again.
BoomstickS

Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Pedros » 29 Dec 2011, 18:39

asudevil wrote:and of course our distinguished leader Pedros.

Watch it asudevil - all this power and adulation is going to my head!

When I'm GMing I usually wait until most of the players have had a say, because I build up definite ideas through the game, and questions about how the alliances worked and what the actual deals were. When I've read everybody else's I can throw in my two-penn'orth - though it's not usually worth a lot because, by and large, the really interesting stuff is the diplomacy, and I don't know any of that.

But I've seen several now, and two things I still don't understand. Firstly, why did it prove so impossible to muster any concerted resistance to Russia's push for victory, when it was obvious for several years which way it was going? Even at the end there was as much squabbling between the other countries as there was definite resistance (and I was pretty sure that serious resistance would have worked.)

And secondly, even after reading Morg's and asudevil's AARs, I'm not at all clear why Morg chose to give the game to Russia in the end (unless, as he kind of suggests, it was simply because England had attacked him - but even if that reason was good enough, Russia had attacked him as well!) Because even in the last year Russia could have been held back if Norway hadn't walked out of two centres and supported him into a third. So answers to both of those questions would be more than interesting!

But the most disappointing thing is that this game - which looked like being a seriously good one - was spoiled by a huge number of NMRs, especially early - starting with Austria's in the first year's builds, when he had two gains to profit from. Basically, throughout the game Russia was never under any kind of pressure at all. Diplomacy's an easy game when that happens - but perhaps that's asudevil's negotiating skill!
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby Flatley » 29 Dec 2011, 19:17

Here's my executive summary of my recap: fools lost this game long before it ended.

I'm glad I waited until others posted before I wrote this, because I had no idea how deep some players' foolishness ran. But now I see that I played with players that thought to get taller by letting Russia put a noose around their neck. Holistic medicine, indeed!

The beginning: I wanted to bid Spain because I thought I could take advantage of their position. The game was played on a map that was virtually identical to the standard map, which led me to believe that there could be some potential for taking advantage of blind spots. I went nearly all in for it, won it, and started the game talking to everyone. Stalin's messages were short but positive, and so long as I got Tunis, I felt comfortable that things would be okay. On the same token, I thought I could leverage my naval power against France or Britain, and waited to see what would develop before making a commitment there. Norway was approaching me for a three-way alliance with Germany, and while I sent back a positive reply, that was the last I heard on that topic.

In 1901, I was able to make claim to Tunis, as planned, but slipped up on getting Italy into Marseilles. A bit of a blunder, but by taking Brest, I was committed into a war with France. Italy was still on board, fortunately, and I set myself to maintaining my position in 1902. As 1902 progressed, I was able to bring more forces up into French territory, and finally got Italy into Marseilles. But, looking at the bigger picture, I could see that Russia was growing rapidly, had many allies, and what few enemies were on the board were being attacked by all sides. Moreover, his military units were very favorably positioned. By Winter 1902, he had armies bordering Berlin, had conquered Serbia, and was in a strong position to roll right over Austria. More to the point, despite the apparent Juggernaut, Turkey was already experiencing the inequality that's sometimes seen in Juggernauts, an inequality that would naturally lend itself to a stab and a solo. To this end, I reached out to Norway and Britain, pitching an alliance whose primary purpose would be to balance the growing Russian threat.

Let me reiterate that. In Winter 1902, I was pointing out to Britain and Norway that Russia was the biggest threat on the board. In fact, here was some of what I wrote, sent October 31st:

Indeed, the time draws near for us to truly consider how to conduct ourselves, for in the East, the mighty Russian bear has grown stronger, swifter, and more deadly. For Spain, it would be easy to say, "eh bien, what could we do?" But, my friends, we have a broader view of Europe, and we believe that Russia has grown too strong too quickly.

Please, if you would, look at the map. I ask you, where will the resistance be for Russia? Will it come from Turkey? No, I say. He is poorly equipped for such a fight, and a fleet in Sevastopol will spell the ruin of that nation. Further, the telltale clashes in the Black Sea went silent just in time for Russia to cover Rumania. I believe Turkey to be subservient to the Czar, and now is too weak to go it alone. Will it be Austria? I doubt very much that it will survive being beset on all sides by enemies, and she cannot stand alone. Perhaps Austria might join with Turkey, but the quarrels in the Aegean speak against it. Should I even take the time to mention Germany, even in jest? No, I'm afraid this is no time for jokes.

The facts are clear to Spain: Russia has very little resistance in the south and in the center, but remains weak in the North. It would not surprise me to hear that Norway and Russia have agreements to hold steady in Norway and St. Petersburg, but, I ask you both, what will happen in this coming year, and in the next? Will Russia simply ignore German holdings and strike directly south? Will you both trade the two remaining German SCs to Russia, only to let him conquer at whim the Austrian and Turkish states? Will you depend on Italy to hold the south? And if you would, what do you gain? Will Norway circle around British SCs and attack Spain? Will your fleets attempt to crack mine own? What will you gain in the next year? What will Russia?

You two, with France, made up a triumvirate, one that was likely to divvy up Germany, then myself. I don't know, and at this point it doesn't matter. I suggest the three of us form a new triumvirate, one which will be strong enough to stand up to the Russian threat. I can do little in the north that you two can't, but I can give you a safe southern border, calm seas, and troops to line up in Europe. Together, we three can push back the Russians before he becomes too strong.

But I guess I wasn't persuasive enough, because 1903 saw none of the cooperation promised by Britain and Norway. Quite the opposite; they continued to dismantle the Germans - with Russian help. I felt Russia was rather clever to spend this turn building position and postponing conquests, as an attempt to hedge against an ALA. It worked, too, as I wasn't getting any takers on attacking Russia. Britain was very clearly assembling his fleets for an attack against me, while Norway was doing God-knows-what.

As anticipated, Britain begun to attack me in 1904, failing at first, then succeeding, to take Mid. But, in a completely mind-boggling move, Norway finished tying his noose by supporting Russia into Munich. He was now literally beset on all sides by friends. Even after reading the AAR, I can't begin to understand why on Earth any sane player would do that to himself. Didn't he see that if were to attack Britain, Russia would be able to assault his exposed rear? And if he were to attack Russia, he only worked to strengthen his eventual enemy? Meanwhile, Turkey missed a build, and Russia balloons to eleven SCs. For those of you keeping score at home, Winter 1904 had a breakdown that read:

Russia - 11
Turkey - 6
Britain - 6
Spain - 6
Norway - 5
Austria - 2
Italy - 2

No comment.

It was about this time that I felt like there was no way I could reason with any of my neighbors. Turkey missed yet another build, so Russia's southern border had a -3 deficit relative to the SCs he possessed. There was literally no way for Turkey to stand up against a Russian invasion. Italy was a shade of his former self. Austria and German were kaputt. And Norway... well, Norway wasn't paying attention. So I played the last card I thought could shake up the board: I proposed to concede the game to Russia. I used the offer of concession to serve as a platform by which I reiterated the points I made back in 1902. Eventually, Britain declined, but I received a minor miracle: a new Turkey, in the form of Haroonriaz. I send a short message asking him to brace for an attack from Russia, but he sought the hopeful circumstances that Russia painted for him. When Spring 1905 ended, Russia had begun his invasion of Turkey, which served as the catalyst I've been hoping to get.

He wrote a lengthly letter to the rest of the board, and finally the other players were awoken to the reality they've been working so hard to deny. Britain finally agreed to the terms, but voiced concerns that I would stab him. The very thought blew my mind, and so I wrote the following message to the rest of the board:

Haroonriaz, thank you for your words. I don't fault your orders as much as I do your predecessor, who put you in an indefensible position.

Again, I am appreciative of your thoughtful words. You wouldn't know it by looking, but I've been rallying to team up against Russia since Fall 1902 or so. I have tried to work with Italy, Norway, and Britain, and even reached out to Turkey, to try to stem his growth then. Norway and Britain made a cock-up game of it, working with Russia to finish off Germany before Britain began a slow, SC-less stab of me and Norway... sat, and sat, and sat. Whatever their overtures were, it was clear that neither of them had any intention to fight Russia, and so I gave up trying to convince them. By Fall 1903, the writing was on the wall in a big way; Turkey was being outpaced, and even though Russia had elected to capture 0 SCs that year, his position on the board was strengthened, and I saw the opportunity for a major breakthrough in the coming year. Still, Britain and Norway played their games, and I could do nothing but watch as Russia filled the center of the board with armies virtually unopposed. It bordered on the line of insanity; why on Earth would Norway support Russia into Munich, thereby letting himself be surrounded in the South and East, with no naval presence to stop St. Petersburg from bracketing him in the north? Why would Britain continue to press a very slow war, and continue to build fleets, when the rest of the board sunk under the weight of Russian armies?

(And, for what it's worth, Britain stabbed me, and not vice versa.)

So why would I be ready to give up, you ask? Why would I have very clearly given that impression to the board? Because, so far as I could tell, no one but myself seriously considered that a nation that had almost twice the strength of any other nation could be a threat to the game itself. I had no choice but to signal disinterest, because my arguments went unheeded. Maybe you would pay attention if I was willing to end the game. Well, now he's running rampant in Turkey, and it may well already be too late. If either nation spends even one more turn playing games while refusing to address the real threat to the board, then it is too late, and we may as well call the game now.

I have proven that I'm willing to throw, though I don't particularly care to admit defeat when there's still a chance. Do I feel that Russia's win is inevitable? Not quite, but it's damn close. But will I stand against Russia, if the other nations decide to do so? Of course I will. But we damn well better do it right, or we're all going to be wasting everybody's time.

So, Britain and Norway, we have to and MUST work together, or this will be a tremendous waste of time. If you agree to this, then there are things we all need to do to right the ship - NOW:

1) Britain has too many fleets and not enough armies. I will help you destroy some of your fleets, so that you can convert them to armies and provide more of a presence in Europe. I think destroying no more than one or two should be sufficient, and they don't need to happen in a place that compromises your security. However;

2) Britain MUST vacate Nav to Mid (with support), and the English Channel the next turn, and vacate Mid in the spring (probable place for a destroy/rebuild). I do not feel comfortable working with you while your fleets are poised to strike;

3) Norway, Britain, and Turkey must work together in the German theatre to counter Russia's presence in the region;

4) Norway and Britain must IMMEDIATELY mount an attack on St. Petersburg, with the intent of convoying armies into northern Russia. Up to this point he has left himself woefully unprotected in the north, and until he shores it up with reinforcements, that can be exploited. That means sending a fleet up north AND a fleet up into the Baltic;

5) For Spain's part, once I'm assured of England's compliance on the second point in particular and the first point in general (you really do need more than one army), I will send some of my strength into the Mediterranean to aid what resistance remains. I wish I could have done so sooner, but other events prevented me from doing so;

6) My promise to both England and Norway: if one of you should decide to stab the other, and Russia has not been shifted off his path to victory, I will view that as a sign that you have no interest in winning, and will support the other side in counterattacking. I trust the same promise will be made and upheld with you two.

If the three of you agree to these terms (and not to say they're non-negotiable, besides #2), then we have the structure of an ALA alliance, one which we must pursue in earnest. We need to coordinate with each other to maximize our advantage against Russia, and I suggest we begin immediately.

I look forward to your replies.

-Flatley

My terms were accepted, and we finally began to move as one cohesive unit. I begun to move my fleets into the Mediterranean, while positioning my armies to prop up the center. Austria moved his one fleet along to lend support from the Adriatic Sea, Britain untangled himself from me, Turkey won Munich, and Norway held his position. Things were still grim, but the tide was very slowly beginning to turn. If we could delay Russia's progress enough in the south to set up a proper counterattack in the center, we could very feasibly drive him back. Though most of the southern nations were tattered remnants of their former selves, it was possible that a successful counterstrike in Germany could force Russia to make holes in the south. Match that against a landing near St. Petersburg, and we could, beyond all odds, drive Russia back enough to give us breathing space. I continued to feed Russia the "I'm going to help you win" line, to get some intel on the Turkish front. It worked, and it allowed me to help Turkey survive a bit longer than he might have.

I didn't expect the ALA to last beyond the first couple of attacks against Russia. Once he was viewed as an equal, and not as a superior, I fully expected either Norway or Britain to break the alliance. But damn it if I could have ever expected the full-scale fuck-up that Britain and Italy gave us in Fall 1906. When I first read "Farewell to Austria," my heart sunk, but I didn't expect the British to doom us quite so well as he did. He took Norway and Denmark.... and Munich! Munich, the linchpin to central Europe. Munich, the 4-on-3 Turkish stronghold, that was now a measly 2-on-4 against. He may as well have supported Russia into Munich and Norway instead, and saved us that many more turns. Turkey was crestfallen, and at that point I had despaired of seeing any end but a Russian solo. I told Britain exactly how much he screwed every other player, including himself, and said that if he built even one fleet, it would be clear to me that he's just trying to help Russia win, and I wouldn't bother trying to hold Russia back.

1907 was the follow-through I expected. Russia continued to conquer Turkey, though we dragged it out for as long as we could. Russia conquered Venice, unsurprisingly without resistance from Italy. Britain and I both NMR'd in the fall; mine was entirely without consequence, while Britain's led to the reversal of his last year's fortune, but this time with Russia in Norway and Munich. Surprise surprise. And 1908 was the Hail Mary that didn't quite make it. I wasn't the least bit surprised, and quite pleased to see the game finally over.

So. Like I said. Fools lost this game long before it ended. The above comments encapsulates my opinion of most of the players in this game, but I wanted to make a couple of additional comments.

Asudevil - You played the game about as well as you could have. You made few mistakes, and were able to take advantage of some short-sighted neighbors. I admire your persistent use of diplomacy in the game, as you were able to talk several players into some pretty bone-headed moves. You could probably sell them that bridge in Brooklyn you were telling me about.

Morg - Though you were slow to catch on to the Russian threat, when we reached that major turning point in 1905, you begrudgingly agreed to terms that would lead to your nation being put in an awkward position. I felt that the Russian threat would have kept a stab from coming for at least another year, but you supported the Turkish take of Munich, as well as positioned yourself well for a Baltic convoy. Had England not stabbed, I'm confident that this strategy would have paid off only turns later. You did the tough thing and the right thing, and despite my efforts to change your mind, I can't fault you for siding with Russia after the stab.

Haroonriaz - Though you were a late addition, you were a great player to work with. You were calm, collected, and had a shrewd eye for the board. Moreover, in your first turn, after getting stabbed, you had the gumption to try to rally the entire board into an alliance. To do this in a game where you have invested only one turn of effort speaks to your character. I was glad to have played with you, and I hope our paths cross in the future.
The enemy's gate is down.

Don't go thinkin' you so bad jes cuz you was in SOLDIER.

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
Flatley

Class: Diplomat
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Pedros » 29 Dec 2011, 19:29

Come on Flatley, don't pull your punches! :roll:

One other thing I should have said in defence of Maucat and his NMRs. He was clearly very confused about the deadlines that were posted. I tried to find out why, but obviously not hard enough. Possibly (probably?) a language issue? I was partly led astray by having played several main site games with him where, although his written English was imperfect, his understanding didn't seem to be.
Pedros

Next

Return to Loeb 9-player Game 2