Discovery

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Discovery

Postby TheChosen1 » 17 Jul 2009, 13:31

This is a new variant I thought of, its a mix up of Exploration and regular diplomacy.
In this game you know only whats happening in your country and whats next to it, so England wont be able to know whats going on in the Balkans at the start of the game, but if after after a couple of years England got very strong and she alreadt captured Ukraine, she will be able to know whats happening in Rumania, because she Rumania border's Ukraine.
For eaxmple, here are the starting maps of some countries.
Austria:
Discovery Austria.gif
Austria's starting map
Discovery Austria.gif (30.83 KiB) Viewed 2559 times

You can see Austria can know whats happening in her own country+ all what next to it.

England:
Discovery England.gif
England...
Discovery England.gif (28.13 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

Turkey:
Discovery Turkey.gif
Turkey
Discovery Turkey.gif (29.14 KiB) Viewed 2558 times

If Turkey will move in spring 1901 to Bkack Sea, Bulgaria and Constantinople, she will from now on know what it is going on in Serbia, Rumania and Greece, because they border new territories Turkey went to.

More rules:
* If a country loses a a territory, she will also stop knowing whats happening in the places that border that territory, unless she gets it back ot has another territory bordering those places. This doesnt include sea spaces and spaces of your own country from the start of the game.
* In the build phaces , the GM will still tell what kind of units were built or detroyed.
* In the end of the year the GM will tell how many centers every country has.
* The GM wills send private maps at the end of every phase, players are aloud to show their maps to one another.

For this variant you need alot of experience, I want to GM this if enough players will join.
So who is intersted in playing this variant?

Players:
1.) Waterice man
2.) jstott
3.)Epiphany
4.)rshivy
5.)
6.)
7.)

Backups:
1.)
2.)
Last edited by TheChosen1 on 17 Jul 2009, 17:50, edited 6 times in total.
Raise my karma and I'll maybe raise yours!!!
TheChosen1

All-game rating: 605
Timezone: GMT+2

Re: Discovery

Postby Waterice man » 17 Jul 2009, 14:17

Will the GM report moves that happen normally, such as England A(Lpl)-Yor, because if he does, everyone can work it out.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

The word 'surrender' derives from old French
Waterice man

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby TheChosen1 » 17 Jul 2009, 14:22

No, I wont show any map and any orders at the end of every phase.
I will only right when the ebd of the phase is and also tell how many centers everyone has at the end of every year.
TheChosen1

Postby sroca » 17 Jul 2009, 14:27

It's "Blind Diplomacy" although I guess discovery sounds a bit cooler.
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1071
All-game rating: 1271
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Waterice man » 17 Jul 2009, 15:01

I'll sign up
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

The word 'surrender' derives from old French
Waterice man

Timezone: GMT

Postby jstott » 17 Jul 2009, 15:08

Count me in. :)
Do you hear the people sing,
Lost in the valley of the night,
It is the music of a people,
Who are climbing to the light,

For the wretched of the earth,
There is a flame that never dies,
Even the darkest night must end,
And the sun will rise
jstott

Timezone: GMT+10

Postby TheCraw » 17 Jul 2009, 15:14

A friend of mine said he played an Axis and Allies variant like this at a tournament, and he said he liked it. (of course, in that game you could send out air reconnaissance...)

It was called "The Fog of War" version.
Very clever, Mr. Smart...
TheCraw
Premium Member

Class: Shropshire slasher
All-game rating: 1,000,000
Timezone: GMT-5

Re:Fog of War

Postby Epiphany » 17 Jul 2009, 15:31

And, you were also able to hold back units during combat if you didn't want the other player to see how many units you actually had. If you won, you could move any forward you had, but if you lost, the other guy got to see how many units you had. And yes, you could use planes and bombers to fly over territories during the new recon phase, but if the player had anti aircraft units he could roll one die, per aircraft to shoot them down. And if they got shot down, you got no info on where the enemies units were. It was fun.

This also sounds a bit like Age of Empires where you can only see part of the map where you begin, and then have to scout the rest of the map to know what's there, otherwise it is black. It does sound interesting and I'd probably be willing to play it at least once to see how it went, but unless you program this site to allow for this variant, how did you propose to make it happen.

"You don't win wars by dying for your country. You win wars by making the other guy die for his country."
--General Omar Bradley
The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
Epiphany
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1032)
All-game rating: (997)
Timezone: GMT-8

Re: Re:Fog of War

Postby TheChosen1 » 17 Jul 2009, 15:48

Epiphany wrote:And, you were also able to hold back units during combat if you didn't want the other player to see how many units you actually had. If you won, you could move any forward you had, but if you lost, the other guy got to see how many units you had. And yes, you could use planes and bombers to fly over territories during the new recon phase, but if the player had anti aircraft units he could roll one die, per aircraft to shoot them down. And if they got shot down, you got no info on where the enemies units were. It was fun.

This also sounds a bit like Age of Empires where you can only see part of the map where you begin, and then have to scout the rest of the map to know what's there, otherwise it is black. It does sound interesting and I'd probably be willing to play it at least once to see how it went, but unless you program this site to allow for this variant, how did you propose to make it happen.

"You don't win wars by dying for your country. You win wars by making the other guy die for his country."
--General Omar Bradley

So your in?
TheChosen1

Postby Epiphany » 17 Jul 2009, 16:00

Yes, I'd be willing to give the game a try. Not sure I'd want to risk rank on it though. And I would want to know more about how it is going to be facilitated. But basically I would like to try it.
The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.
Epiphany
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1032)
All-game rating: (997)
Timezone: GMT-8

Next

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip