New Variant! Post-Modern: Americas repost

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Re: New Variant! Post-Modern: Americas repost

Postby raytheruler » 28 May 2009, 04:26

i think it looks interesting. not necesarily balanced, but interesting nonetheless.
"It was easy to read the message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage." -Joseph Heller
raytheruler

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Sanguinem » 28 May 2009, 08:30

I've been working on taking Texas out as a power. It just clutters things up between the Reds and Mexico.

The imbalance is intentional. The USA is much more powerful than any other country in the Western Hemisphere. Even if it were to be divided, it should still hold a ton of SCs, neutral and home SCs. This mean that the 2 American powers will be bigger than the rest. The Democrats get 7 home SCs, but their problem is their vulnerability. Being so spread out, they have a lot of vulnerable areas that can be attacked by a large number of neighbours. This vulnerability is compensated for by having more units and SCs than everyone else, as well as ports on both the Atlantic and Pacific.

There have been many successful variants with 'colony' type home SCs, such as Colonial or Youngstown. The 2 Californian centers are kind of like a colony for the Democratic states. They have 4 in the NE USA, as well as Chicago close by. If they were to lose LA and SF, they'd still be able to hold on quite well in the east. To balance this strength, Quebec is often better off with the Democrats gone, and since Quebec only has one other neighbour, they can often attack the Blues at will (corner position with access to several neutrals). I would almost liken their relationship to that of Italy and Turkey in Classic.

I don't think Brazil is overpowered. It has more units than the other South American powers, but also is more vulnerable, with less access to neutrals. Brazil will likely get 1-2 builds on an average first year, while any of the other 4 in South America can easily get 3, 2 at a minimum. Peru is the only one that worries me. Argentina has a corner position and only 2 neighbours to worry about. Brazil has extra home SCs and starting units. Venezuela has access to a lot of potential builds in the Carribean and Columbia has access to the Carribean as well as Central America. Still, Peru can gain a corner position advantage by either allying with or taking out Argentina, and if Columbia fall, Peru can access the Central American centers as well.

My analysis of each countries' access to SCs on both a short term and long term basis showed it was fairly balanced. Mexico, Columbia and both American powers had access to the most total SCs in the long term (3 year distance), while Peru, Brazil and Argentina didn't do as well. I attribute this to a sort of top-heavy distribution of SCs (lots in North America, Central America and the Carribbean). Still, Alaska is within 3 years of Argentina and Peru due to large ocean spaces at the map edges, so it shouldn't be too bad. Canada might be the one that's a little overpowered, if I were to pick one. 5 SCs with a corner position might make for a powerful country.

Overall, I think the map is as balanced as Classic or Modern. The bigger powers suffer for their size, but a smart player can turn any country into a potential winner. After all, Russia and Turkey win about twice as often as Austria and Italy do in Classic, but we still play that game :)
Sanguinem

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1319)
All-game rating: (1377)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby raytheruler » 28 May 2009, 20:50

imprerial is my favorite variant because of it being imbalanced. It models a real world situation.
"It was easy to read the message in his entrails. Man was matter, that was Snowden's secret. Drop him out a window and he'll fall. Set fire to him and he'll burn. Bury him and he'll rot, like other kinds of garbage." -Joseph Heller
raytheruler

Postby poflaco » 19 Jun 2009, 02:42

Just wondering how this variant is going... If its almost workable, you could run a test game on the forum.
Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone.

Currently Playing: Modern, Versailles II
Games won: Versailles (2 way draw)
poflaco

Postby sroca » 28 Jun 2009, 17:00

This idea hasn't died out has it?
Hebrews 3:7-8a (ESV)
"Therefore, as the Holy Spirit says, 'Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts...'"

Please donate funds to the site for its extended operation. Here is the link: http://www.playdiplomacy.com/premium.php
sroca
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1100
All-game rating: 1151
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Sanguinem » 28 Jun 2009, 22:49

Nope, it hasn't died, but it's been on the backburner for a while. RL issues take up too much time at the moment. Also, there's a shortage of reliable players for forum games lately, so I was going to wait until we got some more people, maybe after the summer is over.
Sanguinem

Postby poflaco » 29 Jun 2009, 03:47

We can always continue discussing Ideas and finalizing the map and keep this forum page going. :)
Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone.

Currently Playing: Modern, Versailles II
Games won: Versailles (2 way draw)
poflaco

Postby Sanguinem » 06 Jul 2009, 00:47

Alright, I put in some time and this is what I came up with.

I removed Oregon, Oklahoma, Belize and Haiti as SCs, and added Easter Island as an SC. My original map was too top-heavy in centers, and Argentina and Peru were looking weak in comparison to the rest. I also like the island centers on the periphery. Bermuda is an interesting spot, as it gives some countries a chance to arc around a neighbour to attack someone who would seem distant, but still giving the 'reaching' country a bit of growth to allow them to reach a little further. Quebec especially comes to mind, as they could potentially move around Democratic territory to attack Cuba, Venezuela or Brazil. Almost like a Lepanto opening :)

I changed the sea areas off Peru to make them a little less vulnerable to a single fleet, and to put Santiago a little more out of reach of the northern powers.

I put in starting units, they should be fairly obvious what is where. The fleet in Cam in Cuba is on the north coast. Both American powers start with wing units, in StL and Chi. No other country starts with a wing unit, although all can build them starting with the first build phase.

I haven't decided how Panama should act. I prefer treating it like Constantinople or Kiel in Classic Diplomacy, but if it seems like any of the nearby countries has major difficulties, it might be better to allow the controller of Panama allow friendly fleets to pass right through, GdP-Mos, and vice versa.

Is there anything glaringly obvious that I missed? I think this will be the final version of the map for the first play-test, unless someone has something to add. I appreciate comments, and the more specific the better.
Attachments
Americas.gif
Americas.gif (124.59 KiB) Viewed 2439 times
Sanguinem

Postby raytheruler » 06 Jul 2009, 04:06

Sanguinem wrote:Is there anything glaringly obvious that I missed?

Yes. Whats a wing unit?
raytheruler

Postby Sanguinem » 06 Jul 2009, 04:28

Wing Unit Rules:
1.A wing unit can move over both land and water spaces
2.A wing unit can support actions in any space adjacent to the one it occupies.
3.A wing can give, receive and cut support in the same way as armies and fleets.
4.A wing unit cannot convoy or be convoyed.
5.A wing unit cannot capture an SC, but instead blockades it:
1.A blockade occurs when a wing unit occupies the SC of another player in a fall season.
2.The player who owns a blockaded SC does not get to count it when counting his total number of SCs.
3.A blockade ends as soon as the wing unit no longer occupies the SC.
4.Builds only take place in the winter phase, just as in games without wings.

The rules are also in the first post in this forum :)

raytheruler wrote:
Sanguinem wrote:Is there anything glaringly obvious that I missed?

Yes. Whats a wing unit?
Sanguinem

PreviousNext

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip