Russian Revolution Varaint

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Russian Revolution Varaint

Postby Chessplayer » 08 Nov 2017, 22:46

So, you may remember that I was the guy who suggested we do a worldwide WW2 Variant and once I layed out the plans for it being worldwide and including airplanes, I got crickets on the thread :) . I did a bit of research and found a variant EXACTLY like the one I had described. I learned my lesson, and am now presenting this new idea to the community to see if it is original- a Russian Revolution variant. Right off the bat you have the Red Army, White Army, and Green Armies plus I lot of other countries giving their support to various groups. Thoughts?
Tactics, Comrades, tactics.
-Squealer
Chessplayer

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (902)
All-game rating: (917)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Russian Revolution Varaint

Postby b1wein » 08 Nov 2017, 23:22

Sounds like it could be cool. I'd be interested in playing it!
Bronze Classicist. Always interested in short (2 day orders or less) games. If you need people, PM me!
Currently playing in Heptarchy 14.
b1wein

Standard rating: (840)
All-game rating: (857)

Postby StarkAdder » 09 Nov 2017, 15:11

TImely, too, on the 100th anniversary of the ultimately unsuccessful Great October Revolution. Reds, Whites, Nationalists, Japanese and other foreign interventionists too. Avalon Hill or SPI had a board game based on this theme with Kolchak's gold, assassins and purges as additional options.

I'd keep the Play Diplomacy version simpler...grab and hold territory, make alliances, and conquer over half the USSR beginning in 1917. But it would be cool to include neighboring powers too (Germany, Japan, UK colonies in the Middle East, America) since they could try to conquer from the edges while the Bolsheviks...a la Austria or Italy in Classic Diplomacy....try to survive with enemies on all sides.
StarkAdder
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1196
All-game rating: 1054
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Strategus » 09 Nov 2017, 20:20

StarkAdder wrote:TImely, too, on the 100th anniversary of the ultimately unsuccessful Great October Revolution. Reds, Whites, Nationalists, Japanese and other foreign interventionists too. Avalon Hill or SPI had a board game based on this theme with Kolchak's gold, assassins and purges as additional options.

I'd keep the Play Diplomacy version simpler...grab and hold territory, make alliances, and conquer over half the USSR beginning in 1917. But it would be cool to include neighboring powers too (Germany, Japan, UK colonies in the Middle East, America) since they could try to conquer from the edges while the Bolsheviks...a la Austria or Italy in Classic Diplomacy....try to survive with enemies on all sides.

Sounds like an interesting idea, but would be limited use of fleets?
The Devil makes work for idle forces

Better to have fought and lost, than never to have fought at all
Actual Platinum Classicist
I did WDC 2017

Just say "NO!" To carebears and kittens
Strategus

Standard rating: 1583
All-game rating: 1708

Postby Chessplayer » 10 Nov 2017, 01:15

The thing is that I want to greatly limit the influence of bordering powers in the game as it is for the most part a struggle between the red and white armies. As an added option, I was thinking about introducing green army units in certain territories that were neutral in the fight. I also wanted to include Russian army units as well as German army units since the civil war was going on against the backdrop of WW1. The war was ended in the treaty of Brest-Litovisk, with Russian armies gradually deserting before then. By the way, please correct me if I am being historically inaccurate as I want to try to make the game an accurate representation of what went on. So far, I am thinking of using a modified Versaille map as a jumping off point.
Tactics, Comrades, tactics.
-Squealer
Chessplayer

Standard rating: (902)
All-game rating: (917)

Postby Bromley86 » 10 Nov 2017, 02:41

Doesn't that effectively turn it into a 2 player game? Why would I want to play an edge power if I'm limited to helping one of the central powers to win?

If you were going for a 2 player, in addition to your green armies, some of the bordering powers could be represented by an army and a fleet each with automatic support orders. So it'd be a lot harder to dislodge the Allies from Archangel or Vladivostok than it would to beat up one of your normal green units.
A member of the Classicists, a group that aims to reduce NMRs/surrenders.
Bromley86

Standard rating: (1880)
All-game rating: (2233)
Timezone: GMT+12

Postby buckielugger » 10 Nov 2017, 03:30

There are of course many great rivers across Russia, plus oceans and inland seas.
So fleets could certainly be incorporated, around and within Russia.
Would be great to see a map from the Baltic to the Arctic to the Pacific...

And as for effectively two players, i think that whilst history should be represented, nevertheless it will first and foremost be a game u are devising, so that must have several players, with fairly close chances of winning.
I have never attempted any game devising, but i assume the different variants here of Diplomacy will all aim to have a similar ratio of supply centres to overall territories and similar border patterns between territories.

Anyway, good luck - the Russian Revolution has long been a fascination of mine.
Platinum Classicist...
buckielugger
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 1002
All-game rating: 1316

Postby Subotai45 » 10 Nov 2017, 04:12

I'd try and find a period at which the Bolsheviks weren't winning yet, and there were several different White factions which could be separate players.
Subotai45

All-game rating: 4127
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Don Juan of Austria » 10 Nov 2017, 06:52

Subotai45 wrote:I'd try and find a period at which the Bolsheviks weren't winning yet, and there were several different White factions which could be separate players.

+1 ;)
"In everything, moderation". ~Aristotle
A proud member of the Whippersnappers,
Bronze Classicists,
Lancer in the PBF cavalry.

Ireland in Heptarchy 16!
Don Juan of Toledo in Diplomacy for Dukes and Popes!
Don Juan of Austria

Standard rating: 1047
All-game rating: 1160
Timezone: GMT+2

Postby joe92 » 10 Nov 2017, 12:24

Having a lack of fleets isn't itself a bad thing. Nopunin10did did a LOTR variant which had very limited fleets. From my spectators standpoint it looked like a fun and balanced map. Of course fleets could be implemented if you considered the northern coast of Russia and some of the huge rivers (Lena, Angara). My main concern would be that this is going to be imbalanced. I think you should follow Subotai's advice and ensure there are enough opposition players to the Bolsheviks and that the Bolsheviks aren't overpowered.

I suggest you put together a rough drawing of the map with how you foresee the power's being. Just a basic rough so we can see what you mean. With a visual element we'd be able to comment a bit better.
Designer: Emergence, Modern Extended
GM'ing: Nothing

Platinum Classicist

Taking a break
joe92

Standard rating: 1106
All-game rating: 1746

Next

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip