Ancient Aegean (circa 500 B.C.)

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Re: Ancient Aegean (circa 500 B.C.)

Postby lotr_freak » 25 Mar 2009, 23:07

metallord99 wrote:
lotr_freak wrote:I like how everyone so far has said the exact same thing I did. ;-)

Excatly my thoughts.
I confused myself :?

My thoughts exactly!
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby metallord99 » 25 Mar 2009, 23:13

lotr_freak wrote:
metallord99 wrote:
lotr_freak wrote:I like how everyone so far has said the exact same thing I did. ;-)

Excatly my thoughts.
I confused myself :?

My thoughts exactly!

ahh, I see what I did wrong :oops:
"It's only cheating if you get caught"

"The best diplomat I know is a fully activated phaser bank!"
metallord99

Timezone: GMT+2

Postby gusmerrell » 26 Mar 2009, 01:44

i would like to join
"the enemy's gate is down. there is no gravity in here." ~Enders Game
gusmerrell

Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Jus » 26 Mar 2009, 22:26

Awesome. Glad so many people are interested! I'm working on the map about an hour each day, so I hope it can be done soon. Until I can post the map, I'll give a few details about each playable Great Power and compare them to Classic Diplomacy nations, if I can.

Sparta: A good defendable position taking up most of the Greek Peloponnese. Comparable to France, in that it has a good, strategic naval position but can also become an army-heavy land power. Starts with 2 armies and 1 fleet. Most immediate neighbors are Boeotia and Athens, slightly farther-away neighbors are Thessaly and Ionia (Ionia only by sea).

Athens: A fleet-oriented country occupying Attica, the region at the eastern end of central Greece. It is possible for Athens to become a land power, but it will always have a big influence at sea. Maybe comparable to England, or even Scandinavia in the Crowded variant (for those of you who've played in Crowded). Most immediate neighbor by land is Boeotia, but Sparta and Thessaly are always factors. Athens should be on everyone's agenda, however, just like England would be in Classic. Starts with 2 fleets and 1 army.

Boeotia: Though all its home centers are adjacent to water territories, Boeotia is primarily an army nation, similar to Germany, and located in central Greece. Shrewd Diplomacy plays a major part in Boeotian politics, and it is wise when playing as Boeotia to get as many nations on your side as possible. Starting units are 2 armies and 1 fleet. Will have frequent dealings with Sparta, Athens, and Thessaly, also Macedonia, and possibly Ionia. The only Great Power really to be outside of Boeotia's immediate influence is Persia, although who knows what'll happen once the game gets started?

Thessaly: Located in the central regions of northern Greece, it isn't a fleet power in the early game, but has good options. It isn't too likely Thessaly will get teamed up on early, even though it has plenty of neighbors. Like Italy in Classic Dip, it does have an influential position on the board, and Ionia is the only Power whose actions early on won't have too much to do with Thessaly. Starts with 2 armies and 1 fleet. Nations most involved with Thessaly are Sparta, Boeotia, Athens, and Macedonia.

Macedonia: This is a hard one to describe. A rather laid-back country positioned on the north Aegean coast, it doesn't have as many options as some, but is tough to crack and does have some naval influence. Most immediate neighbors are Thessaly and Persia, though it's useful to make dealings with Boeotia, Athens, and Ionia as well. Starts with 2 armies and 1 fleet. I'm still working on Macedonian relations, so this info may change, or I might add something, but you get the general idea. Can't compare it to a Classic Dip country yet.

Persia/Ionia: Both are hard to describe, as they're the least developed countries on the board, but I'm working on them. It looks like Ionia, given the right situation, can soon become the dominant naval country on the board. Persia is positioned between Ionia and Macedonia, and will have some dealings with Thessaly and maybe Boeotia. Ionia cannot be invaded by land in the early game by any country but Persia, and its fleets will influence Sparta and Athens mostly, although Macedonia is a factor too. Persia and Ionia are both located in western Asia Minor (present-day Turkey), Persia in the North, and Ionia in the South, and they most likely will start with 2 armies and 1 fleet, and 2 fleets and 1 army respectively. Like Macedonia, I can't compare these two to Classic Dip Great Powers yet.

There you have it -- the Great Powers in the new variant. Hope I can get the map up soon.
Jus

All-game rating: 1072

Postby lotr_freak » 27 Mar 2009, 05:46

This looks really interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing the map, and hopefully playing on it!

Just a thought, maybe Macedonia is kinda like Turkey? Easy to defend, but still influence?
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

lotr_freak

Postby Jus » 27 Mar 2009, 13:36

lotr_freak wrote:This looks really interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing the map, and hopefully playing on it!

Just a thought, maybe Macedonia is kinda like Turkey? Easy to defend, but still influence?

Maybe. Right now, with the edits I've made lately, it's shaping up to be more of a Russia. The unique thing about this map is that it's more of a circular shape, with the Aegean in the middle, so there really aren't any powers that are as much in a corner as Turkey, but again, I'll have to finish the map before anything is definite.
Jus

Postby JoBoBS » 27 Mar 2009, 19:03

Sign me up! My first forum game. please!!
Jo
Bo
Black
Sheep

(The artist formerly known as Trouble)
JoBoBS

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1240)
All-game rating: (1244)

Postby Jus » 30 Mar 2009, 18:11

I'm finished with the map, but I need a scanner. It shouldn't take too long.
Jus

Postby lotr_freak » 30 Mar 2009, 20:36

Jus wrote:I'm finished with the map, but I need a scanner. It shouldn't take too long.

Okay sweet! I'm looking forward to seeing it. ;-)

lotr_freak

Postby Steppenwulf » 04 Apr 2009, 04:52

Sounds very interesting. I want to see the map too, but I think I'm in anyway.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1023)

PreviousNext

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip