Dune Variant

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Re: Dune Variant

Postby Popobawa » 19 Mar 2009, 17:34

Ok, i've converted it, hope it shows up properly. Also, the yellow stuff is supposed to be what, sea?

edit: a bit to large a picture :D
Attachments
Dune.png
Dune.png (143.04 KiB) Viewed 2831 times
Popobawa

Class: Ambassador
All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Jclash4686 » 19 Mar 2009, 17:59

apparently you have never read Dune All that yellow is desert were giant worms live.....
Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Jclash4686

Class: Diplomat
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Popobawa » 19 Mar 2009, 18:10

True, i haven't read the book, but i've played all the dune games, and seen the movie, i suppose i meant it more in the way that since it is a different color it has to have different rules, and since you didn't mention there weren't gonna be fleets. Anyway, waiting for the rules i suppose :D
Popobawa

Class: Ambassador
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Jclash4686 » 19 Mar 2009, 18:41

The movie and games do not do half the justice to the book. I would defintly recommend reading at least the first book and if you like that moving on to the other books. Instead of fleets we are going to use worms with slight changes in the rules. I believe Zanmor should be posting them up soon.
Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
Jclash4686

Postby JoeA-Z » 19 Mar 2009, 19:31

Depends on which movie you mean; the one with Picard and Sting is fun but not exactly true to form, I'll agree, but recently they made another, lower budget and very dependant on CG but with decent acting and pretty true to the book... I'm interested in this (dune based games have always been among my favourites) but I'll hold off until I get a chance to look over the rules...
JoeA-Z

Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jclash4686 » 19 Mar 2009, 19:49

If there any improvements you guys feel I could make to the map. Please let me know. Send me a PM and ill consider the changes. If everyone who was intersted in playing does play then we have 6 players
Jclash4686

Postby JoeA-Z » 19 Mar 2009, 20:24

To me the big question is: How is the desert different from conventional land spots and is it traversed in the same way as normal land?
JoeA-Z

Postby Jclash4686 » 19 Mar 2009, 23:21

You can move across the ssand same as land. however there are going to worms to deal with. Zanmor is going to give us the low down on that.
Jclash4686

Postby Flatley » 19 Mar 2009, 23:58

Yeah, I think we'd have to know what the rules are for this variant before we could make any suggestions. For example, as this appears to represent Dune in its entirety, is this a spherical map? That is, can a unit move from the Great Flat to Mirage Erg?
The enemy's gate is down.

Don't go thinkin' you so bad jes cuz you was in SOLDIER.

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
Flatley

Timezone: GMT-6

Postby JoeA-Z » 20 Mar 2009, 06:59

Also, How would someone go about attacking some of the territories like Stilgar's Island where there is only one unit that can get at it (Doesn't that make the army occupying that space invincible)?
JoeA-Z

PreviousNext

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip