Ancient Mediterranean, no. 2

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Ancient Mediterranean, no. 2

Postby Jus » 14 Mar 2009, 20:39

As I've mentioned in another topic, I've been working on an ancient Mediterranean map for a while (I started before retard.in.denial posted his). There are 8 playable countries, and the map is situated in a later time period than the first one; I'd say this version is to the first Ancient Med variant as the 1600 variant is to the classic Diplomacy map. More playable countries, different time period, and a much different (I don't mean better) game overall; just in the same area. Here are the Great Powers in the new one:

Gaul
Southern Germanics
Carthage
Spanish Carthage
Rome
Macedonia
Egypt
Antigonian Empire

These first two are obviously not organized nations, and as such their home centers are purely geographical and are not based on cities, but they were major factors in history nonetheless (just look what they did to Rome). And as this variant "happens" after Alexander the Great, there is no Persia, and I have named the empire in Asia Minor after the governor (Antigonus) who was installed there after Alexander's death. I split the Carthaginian Empire into two Powers because it was so big, and it made no sense to have a playable country that enveloped both Spain and North Africa.

I'll have the map posted soon, after I'm done working on it. If anyone is interested in joining this game, post in this thread and I'll remember you when (if) signups start. However, I don't know if I can GM this, so a volunteer would be appreciated. We can begin to seriously discuss this game when I post the map.
Jus

Class: Diplomat
All-game rating: 1072
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Ancient Mediterranean, no. 2

Postby retard.in.denial » 14 Mar 2009, 22:48

First thing I will say, is can you please post your map.

Second thing is, Ive been playing the ancient med map via email since 2004.
Its cause I'm awesome.
retard.in.denial

All-game rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Jus » 15 Mar 2009, 01:05

retard.in.denial wrote:First thing I will say, is can you please post your map.

Second thing is, Ive been playing the ancient med map via email since 2004.

The map I'm making is being created manually, on a sketchpad, and I don't have a scanner. It might take a little while, but I'll get it up as soon as possible. I wasn't aware that there was another map like this that had been made, that is, before you posted yours, but this is going to play much differently.
Jus

Postby Pedros » 15 Mar 2009, 12:05

Might well be interested, depending how many others I have going when it starts.
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Steppenwulf » 23 Mar 2009, 05:41

Sounds interesting - I too would like to see the map. Are there any special rules?
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy"
Friedrich Nietzsche
Steppenwulf

Standard rating: (1021)
All-game rating: (1023)

Postby lotr_freak » 23 Mar 2009, 06:19

I would be interested in playing, but I would like to see the map as well. ;-)
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jus » 23 Mar 2009, 17:08

Steppenwulf wrote:Sounds interesting - I too would like to see the map. Are there any special rules?

Same rules as classic Diplomacy: convoy, support, move, hold. There is one little exception, and that is the presence of an Indo-Atlantic Ocean at the extreme south of the map, which brings Egypt in contact with Spanish Carthage and Gaul, and is adjacent to four territories, two on each side of the map. Besides that, there really isn't anything different about the rules.

I am considering eliminating Egypt as a playable country, though. 8 Powers is just the wrong number.
Jus

Postby lotr_freak » 23 Mar 2009, 20:53

Jus wrote:
Steppenwulf wrote:Sounds interesting - I too would like to see the map. Are there any special rules?

Same rules as classic Diplomacy: convoy, support, move, hold. There is one little exception, and that is the presence of an Indo-Atlantic Ocean at the extreme south of the map, which brings Egypt in contact with Spanish Carthage and Gaul, and is adjacent to four territories, two on each side of the map. Besides that, there really isn't anything different about the rules.

I am considering eliminating Egypt as a playable country, though. 8 Powers is just the wrong number.

Agreed. 7 is much better, it allows for a better game I think. ;-)
"I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened. So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Gold Member of Classicists
lotr_freak

Standard rating: (1000)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby The Raging Falcon » 27 Mar 2009, 03:11

:D Wow, this sounds awsome. Whenever your ready to start, sign me up. I am willing to play as anybody. And about the 7 or 8 powers, 7 is probably better, but it doese'nt really matter for myself.
You kidding me? I'l take you all on
The Raging Falcon

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip