Free maps

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Free maps

Postby Asha\' man Elend » 05 Sep 2014, 00:46

O.K., so I'm one of those people who isn't a premium member, but I have one question. Why can't people like myself have more than just the classic board? It would provide slightly more variety to my games, and I can't imagine that I am the only one who is wondering this. It wouldn't even have to be that many more, just one. Is there any way that this could happen?
Asha\' man Elend

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (850)
All-game rating: (855)
Timezone: GMT-7

Re: Free maps

Postby fijikilo0 » 05 Sep 2014, 00:49

well i assume you know, that this is meant to incentivise you to donate and keep the site running smoothly and continue to improve. it took me a number of months before i decided to go premium. And the site is nice enough to allow you to choose how much you want to pay.
Fee-G-Key-Low-(zero) Can ya pronounce it now?
Participant in Untitled/progressive story thread.
Indonesia in Far East Asia game A:Survivor with 1 SC
Peru in World Influence(First major power eliminated)
Before a backstab, be sure the blade can sever the tough spine.
Quitting (again)
fijikilo0

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (964)
All-game rating: (951)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby asudevil » 05 Sep 2014, 01:30

Well, once upon a time (like 2 years ago)...the only map for ANYONE was the basic map. And the only advantage for premium was playing over 3 games.

But yes, its a bonus incentive to encourage people to donate to the site (whatever you want, plenty of people donate 1 dollar, although personally I think 20 is about right for a year of playing) to help keep it running smoothly.

So would one more map be too much...well then a few months later it will be...why not TWO more maps...blah blah blah...And honestly I am premium and rarely play variants anyway...I think I have MAYBE 2 Ancient Med games played and one was as a sub.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby britneykay » 05 Sep 2014, 04:20

Ne1ne1 wrote:O.K., so I'm one of those people who isn't a premium member, but I have one question. Why can't people like myself have more than just the classic board? It would provide slightly more variety to my games, and I can't imagine that I am the only one who is wondering this. It wouldn't even have to be that many more, just one. Is there any way that this could happen?

I highly recommend you become a premium member and do your part to support the site! As a premium member who hasn't even played a variant map, I can't tell you that they are so different and exciting, but I can tell you that donating is part of keeping the site we love running, and think you should consider donating what you can personally afford, as there is no set amount. To me, the site was easily worth the roughly $2USD a month the recommend for all of the services they provide and the fact that there is no advertising on the site.
britneykay

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1103)
All-game rating: (1111)
Timezone: GMT+8

Postby smkdiplomacy » 05 Sep 2014, 12:22

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want to go premium. It is dirt cheap, as little as $1 if you want, an even at more standard level is $1 or $2 a month. And they are kind enough not to do any kind of recurring payment either.

Everyone should do their part. This site wasn't created for free, and wouldn't continue to be here if people didn't all chip in a little. So chip in a tiny, tiny amount of cash from your stingy heart and get the additional maps.
smkdiplomacy

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (1030)
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 05 Sep 2014, 13:09

Since this question was posed in DVFG I should point out that there is a regular supply of variant games available to all in this section. Check the forum index above.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip