Global Diplomacy 2015

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Global Diplomacy 2015

Postby Malevolence » 12 Mar 2014, 22:54

Hey everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has ever created a modern day diplomacy game that was accurate power wise. (By accurate, I mean that the United States' military did not equal that of Great Britain's, etc etc) I understand that balancing must come into play, but it would not be too much to spread American forces out across the globe. (Similar to GB in Imperialism)

Going by something I read recently about 'triangle theory' in making Diplomacy variants, here is the basic outline for the variant I would design. It is based upon this theory and each country is given a number of 'links' to others that must be resolved to survive and win.

United States of America (4 Links)
European Union (4 Links)
Commonwealth of Independent States (3 Links)
Arab League (3 Links)
China (3 Links)
ASEAN (2 Links)
USAN (2 Links)
AU (2 Links)

Neutral centers would be Quebec (USA and EU), Turkey (EU and AL), Ukraine (EU and CIS), Iran (CIS and AL), Mongolia (CIS and China), Korea (China and USA), India (China and ASEAN), Australia (USA and ASEAN), Mexico (USA and USAN), West Africa (AU and USAN)

Additionally, a nations' starting SC count would be related to its number of links, in the same way Russia begins with 4 SCs in normal diplomacy because it participates in both fronts. Each nation would likely have one starting unit per link.

Thanks!
Mal
Last edited by Malevolence on 13 Mar 2014, 05:28, edited 3 times in total.
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1049)
All-game rating: (1031)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Accurate Global Modern Diplomacy Variant?

Postby NamelessNate » 13 Mar 2014, 00:43

I can see it now! Canada as a minor!
NamelessNate

Standard rating: (1024)
All-game rating: (1000)

Postby asudevil » 13 Mar 2014, 01:27

You definitely need an Israel/North Korea/Pakistan if for no other reason than they have Nukes

Egypt for the oil (its the only reason Venezuela has it)...or some other Middle Eastern area, although Iraq would probably start with a US army. BTW I have a current world map I could get for you....Its for a game Im playing via email and he has a similar thought, but there are 50 players and no minors...but as far as helping spread the stronger powers out it may help. For example US army in Bagdad and Chinese army in Sudan

South Africa (just to help balance)

I wouldn't have Mexico as a minor...or Argentina...its too many in South America
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Jegpeg » 13 Mar 2014, 03:42

How about rather than having countries against the USA having regional unions of nations they aren't all equal in real life but you wouldn't have an immediate "stop the leader" call.

USA
China
EU
Arab League
African Union
CIS
Union of South American Nations
ASEAN

That would leave the likes of Japan, the Caribbean, Australia, Canada and India as neutral centres.
Jegpeg

Standard rating: (1125)
All-game rating: (1401)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Malevolence » 13 Mar 2014, 05:23

Going by something I read recently about 'triangle theory' in making Diplomacy variants, here is the basic outline for the variant I would design. It is based upon this theory and each country is given a number of 'links' to others that must be resolved to survive and win.

United States of America (4 Links)
European Union (4 Links)
Commonwealth of Independent States (3 Links)
Arab League (3 Links)
China (3 Links)
ASEAN (2 Links)
USAN (2 Links)
AU (2 Links)

Neutral centers would be Quebec (USA and EU), Turkey (EU and AL), Ukraine (EU and CIS), Iran (CIS and AL), Mongolia (CIS and China), Korea (China and USA), India (China and ASEAN), Australia (USA and ASEAN), Mexico (USA and USAN), West Africa (AU and USAN)

Additionally, a nations' starting SC count would be related to its number of links, in the same way Russia begins with 4 SCs in normal diplomacy because it participates in both fronts. Each nation would likely have one starting unit per link.

Let me know your thoughts,
Mal
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Standard rating: (1049)
All-game rating: (1031)

Re: Global Diplomacy 2015

Postby asudevil » 13 Mar 2014, 07:45

I would rather have more countries than the 7 you say.

Imperial has 11 or 13...I would aim for something closer to that
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip