Draws in Forum Games - DIAS or not?

Play a Diplomacy variant with a human GM using either forum PMs or Discord for communication. PbF games include a wider variety of maps and rules than what our site (or any site) can support!

Moderator: Morg

Forum rules
Questions about variants being run on the main site go here.

Re: Draws in Forum Games - DIAS or not?

Postby diplomat42 » 27 Apr 2012, 14:33

Hey @Pedros can we include my reasons as well?

Thanks.
Glorious Nation of the Himalaya et.al in CYOC.
Classicist, Whippersnapper.

Generation 32 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

JOIN CITY-STATES AND ZOMBIES!
IT WILL BE OFF THE CHAIN
diplomat42

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1140)
All-game rating: (1289)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby asudevil » 27 Apr 2012, 14:54

My games are all DIAS, but there still are some weak draws where people just say, "screw it, we all win".

But I only will run DIAS games so that the littler powers can try and force someone in the alliance to crack.
Captain FANG, forum team championships WINNER
Part of the surviving nations of WW4/Haven

Unless I am in the cheater's subforum. 99% of what I say is NOT as a mod.
asudevil
Premium Member

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: (1351)
All-game rating: (1437)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby VGhost » 27 Apr 2012, 15:48

I support DIAS on the boring and legalistic grounds that those are the rules of the game - other "victory conditions" (which is to say "draw conditions") technically ought to be considered variants.

Technically.

Most of the time, though, I think the spirit of the rule is upheld. Most of the time I think a non-DIAS draw is essentially equivalent to a resignation in chess. The game isn't formally over, but the writing on the wall is clear.

But this brings us back the rules of the game again. If a draw is not a victory, then acceding to a draw you are not a part of is weak - and the players angling for a small draw are not playing the game to the hilt. So I think if we're establishing a principle, the principle has to be "Solo or DIAS".

Practically, my own position has been to take each game on its own. As a rule of thumb, I do not accept draws which do not include myself - but in certain cases I have. As a rule of thumb, I prefer draws which include all players - but I've accepted (and proposed) draws not including one power or another - as a negotiating tool, or as a petty form of revenge (or both).

I guess, to summarize, since Diplomacy is malleable by negotiation to begin with, I tend to see any result, to your own advantage, which you can get to stick as legitimate for that particular game, whether or not its strictly legal.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 931
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Pedros » 27 Apr 2012, 15:57

diplomat42 wrote:Hey @Pedros can we include my reasons as well?

Thanks.

Sorry diplomat - I tried to catch them all, but the mechanism is stunningly cumbersome and I missed that one. Now done.
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Location: Somewhere full of gorse and brambles, West Cornwall
Standard rating: (1085)
All-game rating: (1314)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Malevolence » 27 Apr 2012, 16:23

in theory- i think DIAS is the best way to play. If you ever ask me while im playing a game though- ill tell you its awful, cause itll always weaken the stronger players- because they have to either spend tiem and energy (units) wiping out the little guys, or sharing with them- this leads to betetr games, becasue when theres 2-3 super powers, who finishes off the little guy but leaves themselves undefended?

It makes the game better- but ive been angry at it playing more than once :)
Creator of 1939, Superpowers, Future of the World, Fate of the World, Fantasy CYOC, Outbreak, History of the World, Italian Renaissance Diplomacy, 21st Century Diplomacy, Inheritors
Malevolence

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (1049)
All-game rating: (1031)

Postby Pedros » 27 Apr 2012, 21:16

Actually, I think Malevolence's point is the best argument I've heard yet in favour of DIAS. The stronger players should have to deal with the weak ones. Why should they get an easy ride just because they and their allies have managed to smash the small guys?
"Sooner or later, one of us will stab the other. But for now we're both better off as allies" (kininvie)
Pedros

Postby drrnwrstlr » 28 Apr 2012, 22:46

I think it kind of depends on the game. In a large game, such as WWIV and Haven, it would be very, very hard to take out that many weaker players to get the top two-three players in a draw. In this case, I think it should be non-DIAS. However, in a small game, such as the Sail Ho game I am GMing, there are only three other players to deal with. In this case, players should be forced to deal with the weaker players, so it should be DIAS.
D'Hara in Battle Island A
drrnwrstlr

Standard rating: (1081)
All-game rating: (1081)

Postby BigBert » 01 May 2012, 19:09

Regardless of whether one would like DIAS or non-DIAS, what would be the reason for having different rules for Forum Games than for main-site games? Perhaps the really big games need some consideration when it comes to draw rules, but for the other "normal-sized" variants I don't really see a reason for deviating from the main site rules. Where non-Dias is the default. I think that in general the way Forum Games are played should be as close as possible to the way main site games are played, except obviously for the variant rules themselves.

Alternatively, why not let players vote for a DIAS option before the game actually starts off?
BigBert
Premium Member

Standard rating: 1539
All-game rating: 1617
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby VGhost » 01 May 2012, 20:16

BigBert wrote:...I don't really see a reason for deviating from the main site rules. Where non-Dias is the default. I think that in general the way Forum Games are played should be as close as possible to the way main site games are played, except obviously for the variant rules themselves.

Alternatively, why not let players vote for a DIAS option before the game actually starts off?

To answer the first question: DIAS at least as an optional rule is good because a) it's what the rulebook actually says and b) there are those (like myself) who would prefer it if DIAS was the site default. Which sort of gets to your second question: I don't think Pedros (or any of us) would say you can't run a game which is non-DIAS or non-non-DIAS, or whatever, but trying to reach an agreement on the default state of forum games is the thing.
"When you absolutely don't know what to do any more, then it's time to panic." - Johann van der Wiel
"I'm not panicking, I'm watching you panic. It's more entertaining." - Elli Quinn
"[Diplomacy:] No dice or chance. Just calculated insincerity." - Counter Trap
VGhost
Premium Member

Standard rating: 987
All-game rating: 931

Postby Pedros » 03 May 2012, 18:28

We do have a set of default rules, which allow any draw or concession proposal. GMs can change them in their House Rules, but I haven't seen anybody do so yet.
Pedros

PreviousNext

Return to Play-by-Forum Dip