Hi

If you're a student at school/college/university and want to join the group, post here... we'll get back to you.

Moderators: mat.gopack, nanooktheeskimo

Hi

Postby NiccoloKissenger » 16 Mar 2013, 09:38

I'm currently a Sophomore at Pepperdine University. While I guess this means that I'll be aging out of this group's age bracket in about 2 years, I figured I may as well have fun with the young'uns while I can
NiccoloKissenger

Class: Diplomat
Standard rating: (975)
All-game rating: (977)
Timezone: GMT-5

Re: Hi

Postby gf1422 » 16 Mar 2013, 10:18

Actually I think you will find that there are MORE than a minority of us who are at least 30, 40 or even 50+ yrs old and have reconnected with Diplomacy as this new-fangled device called the internet has allowed us to play with people all over the globe whom we were unable to STAB with politically-incorrect politeness when we lived in a world that was so much more limited as to allow us to DREAM of actually finding 7 real players to play with. There are an untold number of copies of the actual paper and pencil-filled boxes of the game being rediscovered for the purpose of planning our treachery throughout modern civilization as the recently-departed game creator did manage to promote and sell quite a few copies that have since gathered enormous amounts of dust after being opened and read and maybe, if lucky, used once or twice.

Enjoy it!
gf1422

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (989)
All-game rating: (1078)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby springbutt46 » 16 Mar 2013, 13:55

Welcome. Just remember family, school, diplomacy. In that order. Please join a game, it's always nice to have some fresh meat i mean faces... :D
Classicist, Platinum Member.
Premium Member.
NEVER Surrender.
and I play discgolf too.
springbutt46

Class: Star Ambassador
Standard rating: 1434
All-game rating: 1438
Timezone: GMT-5

Postby Custer » 16 Mar 2013, 15:28

Nice bike! ;) What is it? Make Model? Year?
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1127
All-game rating: 1101
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby sinnybee » 16 Mar 2013, 15:45

gf1422 wrote:Actually I think you will find that there are MORE than a minority of us who are at least 30, 40 or even 50+ yrs old...

Actually, Niccolo was talking about aging out of the Students/Whippersnappers group's age bracket ;).
Gold Classicist since 1-11-11
FT Asst GM of 35 player WWIV Aug 2011-Feb 2012
#1 ranked player of playdip early 2013
4th highest forum karma count at Apr 2013 ending (behind Craw, Dipsy, and Rick)
Tournament Director of the 31 game PDVT Feb-Dec 2014, the first playdip tourney with over 100 sign-ups
sinnybee

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1332)
All-game rating: (1467)
Timezone: GMT-7

Postby Motherfish » 16 Mar 2013, 17:27

50+? Nobody is that old...at least not for the next 2 years! ;)
I used to get high on life until I discovered that life is cut with idiots.

Bronze member of The Classicists
Motherfish

Standard rating: (1322)
All-game rating: (1452)
Timezone: GMT+1

Postby Kithchener » 16 Mar 2013, 18:37

Aaaargh, there are old people on this thread :o :o :o :o :o

Yes, I would like to hear your stories of behind enemy lines again grandad.
Kithchener

Standard rating: (1123)
All-game rating: (1130)
Timezone: GMT

Postby Petunia » 16 Mar 2013, 21:16

The Legendary Craw wrote:Hello and Welcome "NiccoloKissenger".

The best place to familiarize yourself with how to play Diplomacy via the website is the Rules/New Players section. I recommend reading through all the tabs, even if you know all about playing the board game, the website can be different, especially the variants.

Many of the most helpful bits of information for a new player are in the PlayDip Academy sub-forum. Where many of the links to rules, guidelines, mentored games and such can be found.

A vitally important page to look at is the House Rules Page Playing Diplomacy on the internet carries with it all sorts of pitfalls and ways for players to accidentally (or NOT accidentally) end up doing something that is not allowed.
(Like using more than one account, or teaming up with a friend to clean up in games.)

The best way to then get comfortable is to join a NON-ranked game. (Abominable failure is the best teacher!) We also run semi-regular "Mentor Games" to help new players learn the game, adjust to the Playdiplomacy.com interface, or both - or simply to help teach new players the proper methods of inserting sharp implements into each-other's backs. Details of this are here.

Once you have your sea-legs so to speak, look for games posted in the Games Forum, especially password games, it limits the players to those who are serious.

You might also look into signing up for a Premium Account. You may then engage in more than three games simultaneously, and participate in the numerous variations (Winter 1900, Build Anywhere, Fleet-in-Rome, Age Of Empires, Ancient Mediterranean, the 1900 map variant, Milan-Italy, Chaos, Anonymous, Gunboat, Public Press Only, Fog-Of-War, etc). You would also enjoy the advantages of being able to participate in “Live Games”, Premium discussion boards and the “Premium Lounge” (wherein cookies and milk are thoughtfully provided) and the benefits of being provided with detailed statistics about one’s style of play.

All this, for the paltry sum of...€12.00 euros a year. Y'can't beat that with a stick.

Sincerely,
The Craw!
Any views expressed prior to Dec 2013 are solely my own and do not represent the site or its administration in any way.
I took a break from the site for a while. I'm back now. Hi.
Platinum Classicist
Petunia

Standard rating: (1583)
All-game rating: (1571)
Timezone: GMT-8

Postby Custer » 17 Mar 2013, 12:34

Well, there I was, deep in the jungle, just me, a can of C Rats, my trusty e-tool, 3 grenades, and my trusty rifle with 180 rounds of ammo. Surrounded by the enemy while the mosquitos as large as butterflies were............ :twisted:
First..........get off my lawn! Second........it's a dashing self portrait! Courtesy of The Craw. Third.....I am still SHIV, Keeper of the Stone Tablets! Go Pack!
Custer
Premium Member

Location: Sailing somewhere in the Rockies on the Black Pearl but originally a Yooper!
Standard rating: 1127
All-game rating: 1101
Timezone: GMT-6

Return to Applications