Some Live Game stats that might help?

Set up a Live game here. Live games are only available to PREMIUM members.
Forum rules
Guidance for setting up a Live Game.
1. Advertise first! Make sure you have enough interested people to set the game up.
2. Place the date and proposed start time (including time zone) in the title of the post.
3. Post details of the game - game type, length of live period, whether the game will end when the live period does, after-live deadlines if not, etc.
4. Update the first post regularly to reflect changes, players, etc.
5. Players should be on the Forum approximately 30 minutes before the game starts and should post in the thread that they are ready. Check the game thread REGULARLY and don't leave the site!
6. Include in the game description that it is live!
7. Should a player NOT turn up, remember others can see the game on the home page of the games site - a replacement MAY be found.
See Organising a Live Game and Participating in a Live Game.

Some Live Game stats that might help?

Postby super_dipsy » 18 Aug 2014, 07:30

I know there are a lot of people who like to play Live Games, and it can sometimes be difficult to find a Live Game, so I thought I would take a quick look at the stats for Live Games in the last month. This is not an exhaustive analysis, but I just thought it might give helpful pointers to the best time to look, type of game etc..

During the last month we have
- 41 Live Games successfully started
- Most popular by far is 7-player classic map with no variants
- Mostly standard diplomacy but 30% gunboat
- A smattering of Ancient Med, Versailles (ye gods, Live Versailles :shock: ) some shorthanded games
- A smattering of variants eg AoE
- More than HALF of the live games started at the weekend (not a great surprise I suppose :) )
- based on server time (currently GMT+2) 33% of games started in the midnight-6am time, 33% between noon-6pm, 25% between 6pm and midnight and only 9% between 6am and noon

So it seems that chances of a Live Game are best at the weekend either in the noon-6pm slot or the midnight-6am slot server time, and if you are creating one it seems best to go for standard options like a regular Classic game.

As I said, nothing earth-shattering there (well, at least if you discount the idea of playing V Live!) but possibly of interest to those looking for Live games.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Class: Ambassador
Standard rating: (1000)
All-game rating: (941)
Timezone: GMT

Re: Some Live Game stats that might help?

Postby slayer666 » 18 Aug 2014, 07:53

With 41 successfully started live games in the past month, I wonder what percentage of attempted live games that comes out to... :D :arrow: :x
Gold member of The Classicists
Winner of Imperial IV, 1870, Colonial
and War In The Americas 2.
slayer666

Standard rating: (1061)
All-game rating: (1759)
Timezone: GMT-6

Postby Peanut » 18 Aug 2014, 12:41

super_dipsy wrote:based on server time (currently GMT+2) 33% of games started in the midnight-6am time, 33% between noon-6pm, 25% between 6pm and midnight and only 9% between midnight and 6am

There are two midnight-6am slots here. Should the first time slot be 6am-noon?

super_dipsey wrote:So it seems that chances of a Live Game are best at the weekend either in the noon-6pm slot or the midnight-6am slot server time,

If so, then this should say 6am-6pm?
Youth & Talent are no match for Age & Treachery
Let your relationships with the other players drive your strategy, not the other way around.
Ambassador & Platinum Member of the Classicists
Peanut

Location: Tiptree (where jam comes from), Essex. England (orig Lutterworth, Leics - where Jet Engine invented)
Standard rating: (1148)
All-game rating: (1381)

Postby super_dipsy » 18 Aug 2014, 14:59

Darn it. I better edit the OP.
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Postby super_dipsy » 18 Aug 2014, 15:03

It was the last bit that was wrong.

super_dipsy wrote:based on server time (currently GMT+2) 33% of games started in the midnight-6am time, 33% between noon-6pm, 25% between 6pm and midnight and only 9% between midnight and 6am

should have read

super_dipsy wrote:based on server time (currently GMT+2) 33% of games started in the midnight-6am time, 33% between noon-6pm, 25% between 6pm and midnight and only 9% between 6am to noon
super_dipsy
Premium Member

Return to Live Games